Menu

What type of calendar/planner does your child use?

If your child uses a calendar or planner, what type is working? You can answer in general terms like "a monthly wall calendar", or "a one-page-per-day planner", or if you have an exact size, brand and/or model that seems wonderful, giving those specifics would be great, or if a DIY, when what layout and components seem good. Also any hints that have helped with its use would be great, as would knowing for what age child--though ideally I'd like to get started on something that could be gotten used to now and continue to work well into high school or even beyond.

Thanks!

A simple student planner with one week on a double page. DS likes letter format; DD prefers half that size so she can carry it more easily.

That is what we use. I think it is Mead brand. I buy it every year and find it in the school supplies at Target etc.

Now, he has it, but we go in an out of using it. I also have my own planning book for his assignments. I have it in front of me every day to keep track of what we have to do. At the beginning of the year I sit with him and he copies his assignments into his own book every week. After a couple months of this, it falls to the wayside and he just reads from my assignment book. It feels sort of unnecessary for him to have his own copy when mine is right there. But, then I think that it will help him to keep track and maybe I shouldn't pull mine out? I don't know.

I use this one for grade 4 and up.

http://www.christian...aylor/pd/827002

When my daughter was homeschooling, she preferred the format of Martha's choice linked above (i.e., one vertical column for each day showing various subjects on the left). For her first few years of college, she used a mishmash of systems -- at one point, she had a handmade weekly calendar to which she affixed many post-it notes (something like this). Now, a senior in college, she is using a more standard planner along the lines of this one which shows one week per page but with individual spaces for each day.

The best planner is whatever your child will use!

Regards,

Kareni

We have been using the print student editions of Well Planned Day. They work nicely without having to adapt for homeschooling.

:hurray: :hurray:

We use this, too! My boys do really like it -- and more importantly -- they USE them! Yeah! The cover is plastic, they're durable, they have quality paper in them, and they have some nice "extras" that are tailored for homeschoolers such as:

• All about me page (2 pages) - nice keepsake for their file

• The future "me" I want to be - great for thinking through long term goals

• Personal goals for the school year

• Study tips (8 pages) - written with the homeschooler in mind. These are very well done, and visually eye catching.

• Monthly calendars - you fill in the dates, so the calendars are very flexible

• Weekly assignment pages with scripture and cool U.S. history facts.

• Activity log

• Reading Log

• Maps

• Awesome reference seciton

• Loads of stickers for the calendar

• Note section

• Year View calendars (4 years worth)

• Storage pocket

I wish their planners were secular.

I would normally go for a secular planner as well. That said-I am looking at our 4 year high school planner and the bulk of what would be considered religious is a quote from the King James bible on the bottom each page and at the end of each semester is a diary style questionaire that includes a couple religion based questions.

My older kids each have a grade appropriate planner to use for themselves and they do use them which is a huge plus in my book. I have a 4 year planner for my high schooler-I use that to log daily work and activities so that we will have a reminder when college application season, end of year reports, grading, etc. come along.

HST+ doesn't work on a AZERTY keyboard with Belgian settings :-(

So we are back this year to excel sheets...

You know, I never knew there were different type keyboards elsewhere. I always just assumed that they were all the same.......

That Well Planned Day one looks interesting. Af first I only found floral, but now see that there is "tech" style which is likely to go over better... it is refusing to load for me though. Stickers and goals and all sound good, thank you for these helpful details!

What is "HST"?

I need to look at these suggestions more when I can get on a high-speed connection to be able to see samples etc.

The Elan ones look interesting as being basic and not too expensive.

The Homeschool planner looks interesting for having the goal of "self-propelled" student idea! How is that working for you?

My two top ideas now are the URtheMom Homeschool self propelled planner, and I am also considering maybe an adult organizer as from Franklin Covey. Has anyone here tried a regular adult planner for their homeschoolers?

My goal is to have my ds learn planning (and take over doing it) for himself, not just to check off something on my planner. I consider this to be an important life skill.

The Homeschool planner looks interesting for having the goal of "self-propelled" student idea! How is that working for you?

Great! My 6 schooling kids each have their own planner. I use them pretty much as per the info on the site. My four oldest kids now work from their goals and record in their planners what they have done. I have just started transitioning my 10yo into doing this too - we'll see how she goes. I still fill in my 8yo's work for the week for him to mark of as he does it. During the year, I'll probably start giving him one or two subjects where he begins to mark in his own work rather than just tick off what he has done of the work I have set for him.

I just made my son a planner using the site www.newbeehomeschooler.com. Actually, I made one for myself first then liked it so much, I decided to make him one. I printed out all the pages , covers and dividers; laminated the covers/dividers, then took it to Staples to be bound! Love it!

I have been creating our planner each year. Originally, I created one for each of us, but at this point ds (12) likes to just have one central one. So, I have pulled resources from a bunch of free planner printable sites and created a binder with tabs for us. Last year I took everything to Office Depot and had it coil bound and laminated. I have found we like the binder approach better, so we can add and take away things.

But for TOG, we do still maintain separate binders.