Menu

Hiring a companion

Down_the_Rabbit_Hole

I am thinking 10 yrs down the road, so things might change. I love to go nature hiking or on adventures and for now I have the dc to go with me. However, ds will be going in about 3-4 yrs unless his plans change (but will be unavailable) and dd will be finished school in 10 and starting college or working, neither will be able to join me on my spur of the moment whims or planned outings. Hubby will still be working so I am left on my own. The idea of venturing out by myself is daunting, first I am a woman and will be in my 50's, to go hiking alone is inviting danger. So I have been thinking, what sort of person would be best to hire for a companion? I know the spur of the moment adventures would be hard to hire for but the planned days would be perfect. How much do you think this position should pay? Would hiring another woman in her retirement years be advisable? Stay at home moms whose kids are in school during the day? Homeschooled teen? Maybe I should just get a very large dog...

Needless to say I am just thinking about it. Not even sure I will act on the idea. But the thought of hiking alone just does not feel safe on many levels. Has anyone else thought on these things?

Dh had an aunt who did something like this. Dh's uncle was a physician who did not want to retire. So, the aunt hired a "nurse" to look after herself, and she and the "nurse" went traveling all over the world. The aunt didn't need medical care, she just wanted a companion to travel.

I'm hoping that a fellow mom friend will be in the same situation as I am in 10-12 years and will want to travel, hike, scrapbook, etc. with me. I have a few candidates in mind! ;)

Another vote for checking on www.meetup.com. There are tons of hiking groups on Meetup - many are specifically for women, if that's what you'd prefer. Just go to www.meetup.com, put in your zip code, and see what comes up for your area. It's free to join (some individual groups have membership fees, but the majority don't - becoming a member of Meetup overall is free). I'd join a hiking group now - if it's something you enjoy, why wait 10 years? :-)

Depending on the population where you live, you should have no trouble finding other like-minded women to hike with you. First check to see if the local Audubon chapter, Sierra Club chapter, nature center, or other similar organization hosts guided walks. You may be able to make friends on these hikes and arrange other hikes with those new friends. Also meet-up, as was mentioned by another poster, often has people interested in hiking.

I met some of my best friends in the hiking group I started. I don't know if my signature is still there after the board change, but look at my old blog (naturestrollers) start with the earliest archives and read how all sorts of ladies (and their kids) got together and had a grand time when I started leading walks for my local Audubon. You can start one too. If there is no established group to work from, you can always put a notice in the local paper for a ladies hiking club and see who shows up.

I just saw your post about nature studies. Just call the group a nature study group and you will find the patient people who want to stand around looking at things rather than race to crest the next mountain. Again, look for kindred souls at local nature centers, museums or arboretums.

PM me if you want more info on how to start a club.

p.s. I agree that it sounds like you should start now! You can do a family nature study club or you can have a ladies nature study club on the weekend when you have babysitting.

Honestly, that sounds dreadful. I would hate having to spend my "Nature time" with hired help.

I would keep my eyes and ears open for a friend.

But ultimately, I have done a fair amount of hiking by myself - once for an entire week. There are no guarantees in life, and I do think being alone increases the risk a bit, but I like being alone. To me, it's worth it. I may feel differently when I am older, but I think there are self protective measures one can take, and even with a buddy, there are risks. I have reminded DH that even when he is with me, there is no sure protection. The two of us together are helpless against someone with a gun, and if we carried our own gun, that would also bring risks. As I age, though, my feet hurt and it's possible my serious hiking days are over.

There are occasional crimes committed against women in natural settings, but I think by and large, being in the parking lot of a shopping mall alone or at a gas station at night carries more risk. My Mom was assaulted at a pharmacy (gun to head) in the middle of the day. My friend was victimized from a YMCA parking lot in the middle of the day. Another friend was assaulted at night when she was WITH her boy friend. Most criminals are opportunists. They don't want to hike up a mountain to find victims. But obviously there are dangers.

That's just my thinking for myself. If you will enjoy it more having company, then I would try to find hiking buddies through an outdoors/hiking type club.

Here is the link to my blog post about starting a nature study club. It is sort of specific to the Nature Strollers type club, but it might give you some ideas.

http://naturestudyfo...0&max-results=1

Thanks for the link, and thanks to all the responders, lots of good advice. I will see what is available now and go from there.

OK, am I the only one writing a short story in my head from this post? The plot being a misunderstanding about the nature of the work up front, and the Companion being a hooker who ends up with a great experiences and a much better working environment..... ;)

OK, am I the only one writing a short story in my head from this post? The plot being a misunderstanding about the nature of the work up front, and the Companion being a hooker who ends up with a great experiences and a much better working environment..... ;)

Or the companion isolates and terrorizes the hiker for days in a remote cabin. I don't like that type of book, but this could be a set up for one!

My first thought was Inara....so yeah, my mind went there. :laugh:

LOL... You so need to write that! :D

I hike/run alone in areas that I am familiar with (i.e., not going to get lost) and are relatively safe. I bring a 60-pound pit bull and pepper spray. I pay attention to my surroundings, but I'm not paranoid. I think it's probably no more unsafe than going to the grocery store. That said, I understand if you don't want to hike alone because, well, you may just not enjoy hiking alone! I think you've gotten some great suggestions so far (and I agree; find a group now!). Good luck!