Menu

At what age would you read these to your girl?

I think I read Where the Red Fern Grows in 4th. I saw a stack of them in the teacher's lounge at my son's public school that houses K-5. I think Call of the Wild would be 7 or 8th grade. I am not familiar or can't remember much about the others.

Totally JMO:

Due to either sadness level (dogs die in Red Fern, man dies in Call of the Wild), or more complex ideas (Wrinkle in Time), or older-interest topics (Holes, Mr. Bowditch), I would hold off until about grade 2 or 3 (age 7-9) on all of these titles for reading aloud. Most of those are right at a 5th grade (age 11) reading level AND subject interest level, and usually are best enjoyed about that age.

Also, I can't imagine that any of those would have strong appeal to a girl, unless she's a big dog-lover. Instead, I'd go with some of the many wonderful works that will connect with a 4yo. Here's a nice list from book author Melissa Wiley. More ideas:

- Betsy-Tacy books (Lovelace)

- B is for Betsy (Haywood)

- The Ordinary Princess (Kaye)

- Grandma's Attic (Richardson)

- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series (MacDonald)

- James Herriot Treasury for Children

- Pippi Longstockings (Astrid)

- Black Beauty (Sewell)

- My Father's Dragon (Gannet)

- No Flying in the House (Brock)

- Winnie the Pooh (Milne)

- Beezus and Ramona books (Cleary)

- Little House in the Big Woods (Wilder)

- The Wizard of Oz books (Baum)

- fairytales and fables

- Cricket in Times Square (Seldon)

- Trumpet of the Swan (White)

- books by Thornton Burgess

- Borrowers series (Norton)

- The Secret Valley (Bulla)

- Ivy and Bean series (Barrows)

- A Little Princess (Hodges)

Again, just my opinion! Happy reading! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Maybe 6th grade. Maybe never.

I personally don't care for any of those books except Holes. I still wouldn't want to read Holes to a child younger than 6th grade due to the themes. It's just sort of a heavy book. It seems like a pretty heavy list overall. I guess I regard them all as "boy books", so I wouldn't think that the interest would be there for a younger girl to slog through them. I agree with the pp about animals suffering. I was really upset when I read Where the Red Fern Grows in 5th; I can't imagine reading Call of the Wild that young. Dh, on the other hand, loves all of those books. He only saved a handful of books from his childhood and both Red Fern and Call of the Wild are among them. Go figure.

I'll echo the others and say at least 5th to 6th grade. I HATED Where the Red Fern Grows (also Sounder, and Old Yeller, and Bridge to Terabithia...). Some kids are fine with the death of animals or people. Some are not. You might need to wait and see how she reacts to things like that when she's a bit older.

Totally JMO:

Due to either sadness level (dogs die in Red Fern, man dies in Call of the Wild), or more complex ideas (Wrinkle in Time), or older-interest topics (Holes, Mr. Bowditch), I would hold off until about grade 2 or 3 (age 7-9) on all of these titles for reading aloud. Most of those are right at a 5th grade (age 11) reading level AND subject interest level, and usually are best enjoyed about that age.

Also, I can't imagine that any of those would have strong appeal to a girl, unless she's a big dog-lover. Instead, I'd go with some of the many wonderful works that will connect with a 4yo. Here's a nice list from book author Melissa Wiley. More ideas:

:iagree: I think, depending on the kid, that any of them could be fine after about 2nd or 3rd grade, but that many of them are worth waiting on because the perfect time might be a little later - more like 5th or 6th grade. I do think they're books that would appeal to many girls - A Wrinkle in Time was a particular favorite of mine around age 11. But surely the OP isn't asking in regards to her 4 yo? I assumed it must be academic... or planning too far in advance?

*shrug*

My 5 year old has read an abridged copy of the Call of the Wild. If we had an unabridged copy in the house, she'd probably have read that too. I could see her enjoying Man O'War, since she just read the Black Stallion. We haven't read Where the Red Fern Grows because I'm a cry-baby. She would like it. She liked Old Yeller, which I stick in the same category. If you both want to read them, I would. There might be books that would be a great fit right now but she'll outgrow soon. If you like those, read them too. She can read something now and again when she's older if she'd like.

But surely the OP isn't asking in regards to her 4 yo?

No, I am not asking for my four year old. We are currently reading Mr. Popper's Penguins, after having previously read the My Father's Dragon triology and Charlotte's Web. I am just looking for opinions on age appropriatness, as due to my teaching background I know that my normal meter is off. For example, the school district I used to work for had The Giver as required reading in high school (sophomore), and I know that most schools consider that a middle school level book.

So much of this depends on the kid. DS read and enjoyed Where the Red Fern Grows, Call of the Wild, Holes and Carry On, Mr Bowditch in 2nd or 3rd grade and didn't have any issues with them. DD, on the other hand, would not handle Call of the Wild or Where the Red Fern Grows well at all and won't read them until middle school, if she reads them at all. She has enjoyed A Wrinkle in Time, Holes and Carry On, Mr Bowditch. For an average kid, I would suggest 3rd-4th grade for those three books and holding off another few years for Where the Red Fern Grows and Call of the Wild with a sensitive kid. I'm not familiar with Man O War.

The title says it all...

Where the Red Fern Grows

Call of the Wild

Holes

Wrinkle in Time

Man O War

Carry on Mr Bowditch

TIA!

Around age 9. We read A Wrinkle in Time and Where the Red Fern Grows to 9 yo DD in the last year. I'm sure Call of the Wild would also be fine. I think Carry on Mr. Bowditch is in Sonlight's core D or E (aimed to 8 to 10 yo). I haven't read the other titles, so can't comment on those.

I agree with most of the replies that it really depends on your dd's personality and interests. I read Where the Red Fern Grows in 2nd grade and was horribly disturbed, A Wrinkle in Time around 4th grade (didn't understand much but loved for years), Call of the Wild which I detested for reasons totally unrelated to the death theme around 5th (after White Fang, which I loved). Holes I didn't read until I was much older, probably 9th grade or so and I loved how the details fit together in the end, but not everyone picks up on the subtle wordplay and such and without it the book can be frustrating. All of those have themes of unfair rules, bullying, death, corrupt authority, etc which can be very difficult for children who don't know how to handle it. Obtuse adults refusing to listen to reason in books caused many a crying breakdown for me in ps.

So much of this depends on the kid. DS read and enjoyed Where the Red Fern Grows, Call of the Wild, Holes and Carry On, Mr Bowditch in 2nd or 3rd grade and didn't have any issues with them. DD, on the other hand, would not handle Call of the Wild or Where the Red Fern Grows well at all and won't read them until middle school, if she reads them at all. She has enjoyed A Wrinkle in Time, Holes and Carry On, Mr Bowditch. For an average kid, I would suggest 3rd-4th grade for those three books and holding off another few years for Where the Red Fern Grows and Call of the Wild with a sensitive kid. I'm not familiar with Man O War.

This is so true. Younger DD (newly 8 yo) wouldn't be ready for those books for another couple of years, I'm guessing. Older DD *bawled* at the end of Where the Red Fern Grows, but a few days later asked to watch the movie.

No, I am not asking for my four year old. We are currently reading Mr. Popper's Penguins, after having previously read the My Father's Dragon triology and Charlotte's Web. I am just looking for opinions on age appropriatness, as due to my teaching background I know that my normal meter is off. For example, the school district I used to work for had The Giver as required reading in high school (sophomore), and I know that most schools consider that a middle school level book.

Ah... That is more clear. :) From the thread title, coupled with the age of DC in signature, I assumed current reading for the DD age 4. :) My mistake.

In that case here is the Scholastic reader grade level equivalence, and the "Just My Opinion" (lol) for reading aloud, and then for reader (solo reading) level. Cheers! Warmly, Lori D.

Where the Red Fern Grows

Scholastic reading level = 6.4 (grade.month)

JMO read aloud level = gr. 4-6

JMO = reader level = gr. 6-7

Call of the Wild

Scholastic reading level = 7.3 (grade.month)

JMO read aloud level = gr. 5-6

JMO reader level (to also analyze as Literature)= gr. 7-9

Holes

Scholastic reading level = 4.6 (grade.month)

JMO reader level = gr. 6-9

Wrinkle in Time

Scholastic reading level = 4.7 (grade.month)

JMO reader level = gr. 6-9

Man O War

Scholastic reading level = 6.5 (grade.month) -- (actually for The Black Stallion)

JMO read aloud level = gr. 4-6

JMO reader level = gr. 5-8

Carry on Mr Bowditch

Scholastic reading level = 5.1 (grade.month)

JMO read aloud level = gr. 3-5

JMO reader level = gr. 5-8