Menu

Please Help With My Schedule

Sorry this is so long. I wanted to make sure to not leave anything out.

I always see that people are spending 1-2 hours on school with lower elementary kids. I am not interested in going that low, but I currently have a full schedule and still feel like I'm not doing enough of some things. But I do think they need more free time, too. I am posting this here because the main reason it is so full is that they are ready for and interested in learning much more than most kids their ages. My dd is 7 and doing 5th-6th grade level work. My ds is 5 and doing mostly 2nd grade level work. I also have a 3yo dd. They both LOVE learning, and have not complained about the schedule for the one quarter we've been homeschooling. They are also kids who love structure and created a schedule for themselves for summer break.

This is what we have (I've been adjusting for next quarter, but last quarter was similar):

7:30 Physical activity

7:50 Gathering

8:15 Math w/ one, independent work for other, then switch

9:45 Snack/recess

10:10 Spelling and reading comprehension w/ one, independent work for other, then switch

11:10 Spanish

11:30 Recess

11:50 Lunch

12:10 Assigned reading

12:50 Science

1:20 Recess

1:40 Violin w/ one, Daily 5* for other, then switch

2:40 Social Studies

3:10 Done/Snack/Small break then get ready for violin lessons (Wed) or Karate (other days)

* Daily 5 is a hot thing in the schools; both their teachers implemented a form of it this year, and they both asked to continue it at home. It is supposed to relate to daily literacy habits of adults. They pick 2 daily for 15 minutes each, doing each twice in a week: 1. Read to Self; 2. Read to Someone; 3. Listen to Reading; 4. Work on Writing; 5. Word Work

Tuesdays we replace mid-day with the following:

10:10 Art

10:30 Library (bilingual story time and checking out books)

11:50 Lunch

12:10 Assigned Reading

12:50 Spelling w/ one, independent work for other, then switch

Thursdays we replace 10:10 time w/ speech at their old school, do violin/daily 5 at 12:10 and then go back to their old school for PE and music, which replace the rest of the afternoon.

Independent Work includes: Writing/Handwriting; Grammar; Evan Moor and Kumon-type workbooks; Typing (M+W); For Fun (picked by me, for when they finish assigned work); Free Choice (F)

I am planning to start doing a little Sunday morning, too - bigger science experiments/projects, and some writing with me - I'm thinking of focusing on one type per quarter or so.

At bedtime, I read to all, then read to 3yo, then read alternate pages with 5yo, then 7yo reads to me, only about 10 minutes each. They read to themselves while I read to others and for 10-20 minutes after we read together. They are voracious readers and also read independently on weekends, in the car, anywhere we're waiting, etc., and I read to the 3yo those times (except car) as well.

About 2 days every 3 weeks, we do something with our homeschool group, or take a field trip.

I feel like I could/want to do MORE:

"Work" with 3yo

Reading to/with them

Teaching of language arts

"Snuggle on the couch" learning

Discussions

Following tangents/interests

Time to develop interests (dd art, ds singing currently)

FREE TIME

So, if you've made it through all that, first - thanks and sorry; second - where am I going wrong? How can I improve our schedule and still feel like I'm doing "enough" (for them and their desire/need to learn; I don't feel the need to meet any outside expectations at this point). Thanks in advance!

My list of things I want to do more of, including free time, is what's mainly bothering me. And seeing people, even on this board, saying they do these ages in 1-2 hours, when I feel like I'm not able to fit everything I want in a full day, is confusing me. The kids are completely happy with the current schedule. I would like to add more, but at the same am aleady feeling like it's a fuller day than I was expecting, and I am worried about burning1

Sorry; 3yo helping! :-) I am worried about about burning out (me, not them) down the road. I am also finding it very hard to keep up the house, paperwork, personal reading, personal goals, etc. in addition to this schedule plus planning and preparing, learning more about teaching, and other teacher/school-related activities outside of school time.

Ok let's see.... well, I think that is the problem sometimes with too much scheduling. :p All of these things you mentioned are very easy to fit into your day, but you may not be able to write down on paper every five minutes of your school day, ya know?

What are your evenings like? Can you do family reads? Sit on the couch, read to your kiddos, discuss, talk, learn, love. The 3 yo is learning more than you realize - get a copy of Einstein Never Used Flashcards. Best book you will ever read as a mom!!! :) If the 3 yo likes to write and do "school work", get them some books to work on - copying letters, drawing shapes, etc. They can work right alongside the big kids. Following interests is easy - they can do this during their free time, or incorporate and associate it to what they are learning. We are actually making an elective out of film making for my oldest - it is his passion right now. So we made it a subject.

School doesn't have to fall into certain hours. Our school and home life have very blurry edges - learning is as naturally a part of our day as making dinner and going to bed. It all just sort of blends. :D

If your schedule works for you, then keep it. Can you shorten the subject periods? If not, do some of this less formal activity in your evenings. As long as it isn't high pressure and stressful, it's all good. :D

Sorry; 3yo helping! :-) I am worried about about burning out (me, not them) down the road. I am also finding it very hard to keep up the house, paperwork, personal reading, personal goals, etc. in addition to this schedule plus planning and preparing, learning more about teaching, and other teacher/school-related activities outside of school time.

Oh sorry, responded before seeing this. Yes, I think it would be very easy to burn yourself out with this schedule. :) If there is no room for flexibility, it adds a lot of pressure on you. I teach full-time from home (as in, employed...hah) and teach my kids... so I HAVE to be flexible. We have a baseline "schedule" which is more like a master to do list for each day/week. It gives me an idea but each day is different. I have found that it is in the moments unplanned that the best learning happens. Like the discussions in the car, the trips to the library, bedtime.

Don't be afraid to relax a little too. :)

always: Yes, that's true. I tell you, though, my kids LOVE schedules. I also found that when I started out less scheduled, things seemed to drag and we got about half the planned stuff done. We didn't have the offshoots/unexpected learning/fun discussion you mention (and others have, and I was expecting and looking forward to), but we didn't get the basic list done either. I can't explain it. We do discuss within the topics I teach, but ... I guess I pictured more authentic discussions, more getting lost in a topic that spiked their interest within the plan. Which I think I would do if it presented itself, but they haven't been following my fantasy. :p I think mostly I do just need to relax. That is probably the best advice.

For the 3yo, I am not worried about her learning - or not - at this point. I am worried about the lack of 1-on-1 time. She is included as much as she wants in combined activities, and often sits with us for 5yo's math - he does Right Start and she loves the abacus and other manipulatives. She also has her own part of the school area, with things like puzzles, picture books, counting dinosaurs, stacking cups, lacing, magnetic letters, coloring, etc. that she does on her own (and she usually watches a couple shows on PBS Kids). But I would like to do some of those with her, read to her more, etc.

For the evening, they go to bed pretty early, so I'm not sure how much we could add to the reading time, and I don't want to take away their independent reading time. After dinner, 1 or 2 bathe while the others have free time, then we read as described above, then they go to sleep at 6:40 (3yo), 7:00 (5yo), 7:20 (7yo). If they go to bed later, they still wake up early, but are pills. :-)

As far as reducing time, I did have some things shorter, but the kids asked for more math, and I found some things felt too rushed and not engaging when we tried to do them in shorter times, so I don't know. You also reminded me that they requested doing a "school play", every quarter if I recall, and I haven't even tried to fit that in! Maybe I'll just find them a script and let them figure that out on the weekends.

Thanks for your answers, and I will try to relax. I often have to remind myself of that generally, but I think I felt like I couldn't with this because it is so important to me. But I promise to try. :-) Thanks!

Mine have always had early bed times. :)

Your schedule sounds like it works well. :) You guys pack a lot in. It's just a question of time. I mean, there are only so many hours in a day. :D Maybe you can do the "fun" stuff on weekends? Good luck!!! Remember there are no rules. What works for one family, doesn't work for others. You guys will find your groove. :D

I really like your schedule. I may use this since it seems to give my girls for down time.Maybe once a month you can half days so that you can have time with them to just read and talk to each other.

Melissa: Thanks; that makes me feel good! I think you may be right; planning regular full or half days to be more relaxed may be the key for us, since we aren't good without a schedule. In fact, that could work really well. Maybe plan 4-4.5 days/week, then 1 day is homeschool group activity, field trip, or relaxed reading/discussion day. I'll have to think about that, but I think you may be onto something. Thanks again!

I mean, there are only so many hours in a day. :D

Yes, this is the problem! Hasn't anybody figured out a way around this yet? :D Thanks for the encouragement. I think you're right:

1. It is working for us

2. I can't do everything

3. I need to relax

4. It will all be fine

I may have make that into a mantra. Thanks again!

Are there some things you could do 2-3 says per week instead of daily? For example, you could alternate history and science instead of doing then the same days. Grammar can be done just a few days per week, etc.

Maybe? I think this is the kind of advice I was more expecting when writing the post, but still I've been through the schedule multiple times and everything individually seems about right to me, possible exceptions being some of the independent work, such as grammar as you mentioned. I was thinking I might pare it down enough to give them 20 minutes "free choice" every day or at least M/W/F instead of just Fridays, and I might do that, although that does still leave me busy the same amount. One hour/week each for science and social studies seems light to me. I did have those lighter before, and didn't like it, but at 20 minutes/day x4, not, say, 40 minutes/day x2. That might work, allowing us to get more into them, while still freeing up another 20 minutes/day. I might try that - and with still doing bigger "projects" or experiments on the weekend, alternating weeks, we can get closer to the 2 hours/week each I was aiming for. Yes, I think that could be less stressful, more engaging, and not lose anything. I think I'll try it. Thanks!

[sorry for the train-of-thought writing with run-on sentences and such.]

I think that a parent doing 1st grade work with their 1st grader can be done in 1-1.5 hours per day. A child doing accelerated work will probably spend somewhere in between their age grade and the grade level of the work that they are doing in the number of hours. So a 2nd grader in age that is doing work on a 5th-6th grade level can easily spend 3-5 hours per day on schoolwork. Don't compare your kids to what average kids are doing, it is not going to match up. :001_smile: Just do what feels right for your family.

Excellent point - an accelerated 1st grader will work longer than an average 1st grader. You really can't compare. Each child has their own speed, too. Mine happen to be very fast, unless we are discussing ... discussions can be hours long, and I love that. But a friend of ours - he likes to take ALL day to do his work. Others like to rush through and get back to playing. That is what I mean by a guideline. You have a system that works for you and that is fantastic!!! Ours changes from day to day because sometimes we wind up in a deep discussion about whatever we just learned in science or social studies, and then it carries on into the next day, and a library trip and then later in the car. So in our household, all of our schedules have not worked. ;) My friend with the son that takes all day - she is very, very scheduled and my style would make her insane!!! :) We all just do it the way we need to. :)

I might look into doing a few things less often. They are spending a bunch of time on math. Because they like the longer sessions you can maybe take a day or two and do another subject during that time or make it a time to explore whatever tangets or ideas that interest your child. Also when you choose new resources look for ones that are "snuggle on the couch" learning. It also looks like you are on the go quite a bit. I'd cut back on that a little and use the extra time to schedule some one-on-one time with your youngest.

FWIW, I never spend 1-2 hours on first grade. My Kindergarten+ kids have never been done before noon.

My oldest does a similar amount of work to that of his same-age peers. He's 3rd grade, and he has about 3.5 hours of work. In 1st grade, he had about 1.5 hours of work, and in 2nd grade, he had about 2.5 hours of work. I just cut things that I found to be unnecessary for his age when I needed to. For example, we were doing MCT poetry and vocab, but then I thought, "Why does my 3rd grader need this right now? Could his time be more usefully spent playing outside with his brothers?" I answered yes to that last question and dropped the extraneous subjects. He's already doing Latin AND he reads all the time - well above grade level. His vocabulary in his everyday speech is fantastic. I'm always noticing words he's using that I wouldn't expect to hear from a 3rd grader. So we really don't have to do separate vocab right now. We have 9 more years of school to get all this stuff in!

So just ask yourself those types of questions about each subject. Are there any that you really don't NEED to do this year? It's really common the first year of schooling to think you need to do every subject under the sun, and then as you go along, you realize you don't really need to. You can hit it next year or 3 years from now.

Another thing I notice about your schedule... You're doing one subject with one kid, then swapping to the other kid, then swapping back to the first kid to do a different subject, then swapping back to the second kid, etc. That's a lot of swapping! You might be able to shave some of YOUR time by doing more with one kid at a time. For example, my schedule with 3rd grader and K'er plus a preschooler that wants to "do school":

8am - 10-15 minutes of "school" with preschooler while K'er looks at library books and 3rd grader starts independent work (spelling, reading, grammar, etc.).

8:15am - phonics/reading with K'er while preschooler (who is "done") does workbooks on his own. 3rd grader is still doing his independent work.

8:30am - math and handwriting with K'er. Other two are still doing their thing.

9am - Send K'er and preschooler off to pick up toys around the house, then they can go play. Start 3rd grader's "work with mom" time, doing Singapore CWP at the white board, writing (WWE/IEW), and history read-aloud.

10am - regular math lesson with 3rd grader (textbook/workbook).

10:30am - piano lesson with 3rd grader

11am - lunch

after lunch: read aloud (Sonlight P4/5) to K'er and preschooler. Then we do an hour of cleaning all together.

That's an example of Monday. We have science and Latin on Thursday and Friday, and there is no CWP or grammar on Thursday and Friday (Latin uses grammar, plus he gets grammar easily and doesn't really need a lot of practice).

Later on, foreign languages will be done everyday probably, but for 3rd grade, I don't think Latin needs to be such a high priority for my son right now. Again, I'd rather him be off playing outside with his brothers than stuck in the house working through Latin translations. He's only 8. :)

Another thing I do is that I don't worry about finishing a book in a certain timeframe. He's usually working ahead in most subjects, so if we don't finish a book in a school year, who cares? So that's another way you might shave some time off. Do a subject 3 or 4 days per week instead of 4 or 5 days. Don't worry about getting to the end by the end of the school year.

And for 2nd grade, I would have absolutely no problem with an hour a week for history and science (each), especially if you have library books laying around and your child picks those up. ;) We haven't even *done* science much this year, yet my son has read science books from the library more than an hour each week. It just wasn't part of "school time". ;) We probably spend more time on history, since we're using Sonlight. I think it's about 30 minutes a day. But in 2nd grade when we did SOTW, we spent about an hour total per week on the part that *I* was involved in. Again, a book basket with library books on the history topic to be read whenever he wanted gave him much more history knowledge without taking up more school time.

So there are some more ideas. It will get better as you settle into a groove. I changed my schedule a gazillion times when I first started, plus I had an 18 month old, which makes school difficult in general. :D It's a lot easier this year. I'm more relaxed about what really *needs* to be done vs. what I'd like to do. I also have been able to see first hand how not doing something one (or two) year(s) doesn't matter in the long run. I've dropped things at times, then picked them up later, and it was no big deal. He hadn't missed out on anything by not doing those things the entire last 3 years. And again, I have 9 more years to educate him! Things will come up again and again. If we don't do formal science right now, who cares? As long as he is continually learning about the world around him (and he does), I'm sure he'll do just fine in high school science, where they start at the beginning with everything. I also have science kits here that he can do on his own, and science reference books and such to browse when he feels like it. Same goes for history... He loves history, so I am actively doing Sonlight with him (Core D - American history), but he also reads through the SOTW series on his own now and then, and he reads various history reference books I have laying around. The boy is always learning history, whether I formally teach it or not. So IF it were killing us to fit in history everyday, I'd absolutely have no problem dropping it as a formal "school time" subject. I'd be fine with just doing a bedtime read-aloud about a history or science topic, or something like that.

Figure out your priorities. Which subjects are "must do, no matter what" vs "like to do if we have time". Decide which subjects are more important than free play time, and which subjects aren't. That will help you make cuts if you need to. I don't think a 2nd grader needs to have hours and hours and hours of work, even if they are working above grade level. 2-3 hours should be sufficient.

If it works for you, it doesn't seem bad.

If you want more flexibility or time to get other things in, you seem to have a LOT of reading in their day. Especially since they like to read so much anyways, I don't think you need to have 40 minutes assigned + 30 minutes assigned (Daily 5) + evening reading together time. I think you could find some time by loosening that up.

Firstly I want to reiterate - if it works for you, it's fine. Don't change things if your kids aren't complaining. If *you* need a break, take one. Tell them you'll get back to the schedule tomorrow.

Secondly I heartily disagree that accelerated kids need to work for longer. Reread boscopup's excellent post a few times.

I am one of the people who do only 1 hour with a 5 year old and 2 hours with a seven year old. So I thought you might find it interesting to see how it works on the other side.

First of all, it really depends on how much of a personal passion your children have. What do they do with their free time? Lego or chess? Angry birds or documentaries? etc. If you have a child who is self driven and uses free time to learn, then you can do fewer hours. But if you have a child who loves structure and thrives on being given tasks to accomplish, then you set up more scheduled hours. What I am concerned about is YOU, not them. You are in a marathon, so you must be very careful to protect yourself. If this schedule is great for them but too much for *you*, then it will not work. Give it some serious thought.

So for my children, the time I count and refer too is seat time. For the things they don't like to do, I schedule them so they get done. Writing, grammar, spelling, memory work, handwriting, and math (well, they like math). What I don't count is history, science, art, PE, nonfiction reading, fiction reading, and music. So my 5 year olds would have worked from about 8:30 to 10 with a break, and my 7 year old would have worked 8:30 to 11 with a break. In the afternoons, they would read history, science, and literature; and watch history and science documentaries. We would discuss the topics while I was prepping dinner or during dinner. At night they would practice violin with their dad and then he would read to them for an hour on the history topic we were studying. In the afternoons, some weeks my kids would draw or paint or run around outside. I just did not need to schedule these things because they just happened.

So please don't compare yourself to those of us who do fewer hours, it is just a different way of counting, and perhaps due to personality differences. But please keep track of what *you* need. Just because your kids like it, doesn't mean you have to do it.

Ruth in NZ

I don't think your schedule looks bad. It seems you have recess/break time built in and if your family works better with a schedule for everything then that's fine. I'll just give you an idea of how we do things (though I am more like you...I don't do a schedule because it just would never work for us but then I only have one child at home now but I do spend much of the day schooling).

We do history/science on alternating days and do the reading for those snuggled on the couch...then do a project or experiment because we have a longer period of time to work. I try to fit in lots of hands on learning especially when dd was the age your children are now.

I also do school 4 days a week leaving me a day for violin lessons, doctor appointments, and keeping the house up. Sometimes we do extra/fun stuff on that day when we have nothing else planned...field trips, larger experiments, crafts, or catching up on anything we might have missed earlier in the week due to unforeseen circumstances.

I used to feel the need to get it all done every day but learned that my dd (the only one I still homeschool) learns better in those free/snuggle times when she isn't feeling rushed or when she comes upon things herself. I also learned it is a marathon. What she doesn't get to this year, she'll get another year and probably more quickly and on a higher level. I don't school on a year by year schedule, meaning I don't need to finish a certain curriculum or book each year because we just keep on going...so if she finishes two "grade levels" in a year or takes two years to complete one, it doesn't really matter.We just keep moving. My job is to teach her how to learn and give her a wide base of knowledge/experience in order to find what she is interested in pursuing more deeply.

I feel like I could/want to do MORE:

"Work" with 3yo

To ease your mind!!

My big girl is a highly capable learner and I am really exhausted trying to keep up with her. I felt bad not being about to "work" with my small girl (turned 4 years old in November). Well, that little bugger has advanced soooo much on her own that I never really needed to "work" with her.

If you have two older capable learners, your 3 year old will absord stuff like a sponge based on what is going on around them. I wouldn't worry about actually "working" with him/her.

If you have two older capable learners, your 3 year old will absord stuff like a sponge based on what is going on around them. I wouldn't worry about actually "working" with him/her.

I try to give my 3 year old 10-15 minutes of time first thing in the day, but I have to fight to get that time, because he wants to go do workbooks independently! The goober! :D And yeah, he's learning a LOT from big brothers. He's a beginning reader (sounds out words, reads the first couple Bob books). He can count. He knows his shapes and colors. He's not adding/subtracting much yet, but that will come. I don't think he needs "work", but I do like to give him one-on-one mama time, which I imagine is what the OP is wanting. Reading a picture book is the easiest way to get that one-on-one time with my 3 year old. Everything else, he wants to do it himself! :D

Since you have kids who love and thrive on schedules, can you make some of it self-paced and leave it up to them? I've discovered that my DD really thrives on structure-but also does quite well when a good part of her work is independent and it's a matter of her doing it on her own and checking off a box on a chart. So, Mango Languages, Mathletics, Khan Academy, various books designed to be independent like LoF...anything that I can set up for her and that (ideally) is self-checking. She also loves online classes with the discussion component, so for some of those "wordy" subjects, she's doing them at Athena's and, again, doing them largely independent of me, except for the, inevitable, at least once a session computer problem, :glare:

It ends up giving her what SHE needs, and she's making much more progress than she was when I was trying to "Teach" everything, and is less stressful on me. I admit, it's a little frustrating to have a child decide, at age 7, that she wants to be independent, but looking at the level of material she was doing (mostly middle-high school at that point), it made sense. And if your 7 yr old is ready for that kind of independence, that will allow you more time for your younger ones.

Oh, FWIW, I really didn't do anything academic with my DD until she came home from PS at age 5 (after PS K). She was in preschool and K during much of that time at least part-time for child care reasons, but that certainly wasn't academic for her. It really didn't seem to matter. She was able to, easily, make multi-year jumps in those early skills even when they weren't being formally taught at all. While I know a lot of homeschoolers choose to do preschool with their little ones, especially the accelerated ones, I really don't think there's a lot of need to do so for academic reasons-only if it's necessary for your sanity.

I do like to give him one-on-one mama time, which I imagine is what the OP is wanting.

Ah, see I took it as OP wanting to academically "work" with her 3 year old. One on one "mama" time and one on one "academic" time are two different things to me. :coolgleamA:

My small girl and I made bottle cap necklaces last night together (from a kit) - that is one on one "mama" time to me, for example.

Thanks, everyone. I did read boscopup's second post before I logged off for the evening, and I think a lot of my anxiety has to do with the fact that I completely believe/agree with all of that, would even tell other parents the same thing - and have, etc., but it just doesn't seem to be true for my kids (at least the older 2).

They seriously scheduled their summer break days, and I had to stop them from adding more and convince them that "Free Time" for the remaining blocks was okay, much less good. Even for smaller breaks, they become irritable and antsy after a few days without stimulation (intellectual, not electronic, which we limit and they actually have more access to on breaks). We took a 2-week break for Christmas. We had holiday activities, etc. and visitors at first, so they were fine. My parents left Tuesday night. By Thursday, they were cranky and continuing down. My husband noticed the difference this weekend. They do somewhat better when I suggest/tell them to do a specific, more stimulating thing (such as Legos). Regarding their relationship with each other, that also is much better when they've been learning, making, discussing, etc. together then when they've had "down time" together. This difference between what I believe is best for kids their age, and what I observe is best for them has literally has kept me awake the past few nights, even though it was just last night I realized that seems to be the root cause. They are the same way with activities. They want to do EVERYTHING. We have compromised by doing more of fewer things, but they still drool over the parks+rec and school club catalogs. Either:

1. My assessment of them is incorrect, and I have become one of "those moms" who overschedule their kids;

2. My assessment is correct, but I caused it somehow;

3. This is just the way they are; they are exception;

4. This is just the way they are, and our common belief about what's best for kids these ages is not as universally true as we think

I don't think I caused it. I've always been a stay-at-home mom, and we didn't have strict schedules. They went to a Montessori preschool 2 mornings a week for 2 years, then into all-day K. They slowly asked for/showed they needed more structure during the preschool years; I still resisted, and went back and forth. My son's only complaints about all-day K were the behavior of the other kids and that he didn't learn anything. My daughter's issues were similar. When we decided to start homeschooling, I asked them to think about what they wanted to do at homeschool, and their list was longer than mine. When I asked for feedback about last quarter, their only negative was that they didn't learn enough about ocean life (science topic they chose). When I elicited more, it was along the same lines.

I think Ruth may have hit a key; even though they need stimulating activity; they don't seek it out on their own. I think I was starting to figure this out subconsciously. The after-lunch reading time used to be free reading, with encouragement to pick from a shelf with books related to our current science and history studies, but they usually didn't (even though they enjoyed it when they did and helped pick most of them from the library). So now that is "assigned reading" only in the sense that they must choose from that shelf. And I have started to "encourage" Legos or whatever during down time when they get to a certain point, even though I generally believe it's better for kids to come to those things on their own. With these kinds of things, it doesn't seem to reduce their enjoyment of the activity even though I believe it generally would.

Also I do appreciate hearing that you (general) are doing more, closer to what we are, but just scheduling 1-2 hours. That at least makes it less confusing. I was wondering how a bright kid would be satisfied with 1 hour, even at 5. And I'm not worried at all about where they are/when we finish books/levels. My oldest is doing a couple individual subjects in MM based on taking the 5th grade test, then we'll go into the 6th grade whenever she finishes that, for example.

They are at Karate (day) camp today [i needed one more day to plan, but they needed something to do], and we start back tomorrow, so I need to finish tweaking the schedule and start preparing. I'll check back in later, but I did want to say thank you to everyone. I think what I will do is:

1. Try to relax

2. Make the minor tweaks to add in a little more free time daily and lighter days once a week

3. In a few weeks, when I planned a small break, evaluate and readjust. I've started thinking this morning, maybe they need "specific free time", like the electives always mentioned. Maybe "Lego building", "Theatre", etc., where they are doing something stimulating with little to no involvement from me. Then I get the break I need, while they get the stimulation and variety they want/need. Similarly, I think I will plan to send them more (day) camps that are always available during ps breaks.

Wow, sorry that was so long! Anyway, I was writing with the last 2 posts. Yes, my concern with the 3yo is 1-on-1 time (in any form), not whether/how much she's learning. I feel bad that this was going to be "her time", with the older 2 at school, and now she's almost an afterthought. I want to read more to her, play more with her, etc. Looking at my schedule, even existing, I think I can do more of that as long as I'm more proactive about it. 7yo is pretty independent with math, so once she's going, I just need to prioritize time with 3yo. Same with Thursday afternoons when the older 2 are at school for 1.5 hours. I've been using that for errands and catching up on things around the house. I like the idea of doing something with her first, too.

Thanks again, everyone. It has been really helpful, and I will continue to think about these things. I'll probably come back this evening, but now I need to go prepare!

They seriously scheduled their summer break days, and I had to stop them from adding more and convince them that "Free Time" for the remaining blocks was okay, much less good. Even for smaller breaks, they become irritable and antsy after a few days without stimulation (intellectual, not electronic, which we limit and they actually have more access to on breaks). We took a 2-week break for Christmas. We had holiday activities, etc. and visitors at first, so they were fine. My parents left Tuesday night. By Thursday, they were cranky and continuing down. My husband noticed the difference this weekend. They do somewhat better when I suggest/tell them to do a specific, more stimulating thing (such as Legos). Regarding their relationship with each other, that also is much better when they've been learning, making, discussing, etc. together then when they've had "down time" together.

I have several thoughts but I'll start by saying, I have a small farm and 5 kids. I know that puts me in a somewhat unique place, ymmv. I also agree that if it is working... yeah, don't worry about it!!

My kids are schedule freaks (they are making schedules for themselves all the time) and 90% of the time would love it if I filled their day. Sorry kids, not happening. I have other children, a home, a life(lol, sorta), and chickens/gardens to take care of. They are well aware that if they tell me they are bored they may be handed a bucket and a rag and told to wash something. ;)

Regarding down time and the post I quoted, I'm trying to figure out what you mean. My kids have hours of what I would call down time, but they always spend it learning, making, discussing, reading, and writing. They take notebooks outside and follow around wildlife and take notes. They write plays and make presentations to teach others about things like how wonderful bats are. :lol: They make math worksheets for each other or "teach" the younger kids. I have taught my two oldest to sew and they have access to legos, snap circuits, marble runs, books, art supplies, etc. That is what down time looks like to us.

Lastly I will add that transitions are always rough for us. We had a lot of screen time around Christmas. When I finally turned it off, everyone moped for a few days and didn't know what to with themselves. Our day is short, but we do school from roughly 8-12. When summer rolls around and we take a break (we only continue math through the summer), I know they are going to mope for a few days. It will take some time for them to realize that they need to fill their own time.

If you do try to cut back, I would recommend keeping the strict schedule in the morning - my kids do so much better with just this. (Even in the summer we do have a pretty strict schedule for the very beginning of the morning.) I would also expect it to be rough for a little while. You can always give it a week and see how it goes, but don't judge how well it is going by the first few days. Change is always difficult, IMO.

Sounds like you're figuring things out, and scheduling some free time for your older kids might be a good time for you to get what you need as well as spending time with your 3yo. I was wondering if your older kids like being teachers too...would they want the responsibility of teaching/reading/etc once or twice a week with the little one? That's one of the benefits of having multiple ages working together!

And if your 3yo is like mine, she will tell you want she wants/needs when you ask her. If mine weren't getting enough stimulation she'd be badgering me incessantly. If your youngest isn't begging for attention, (s)he's probably doing fine. I leave lots of Montessori-style activities out for my DD3 to self-engage in, which helps me feel better about the times I can't focus on her.

Tracy, you have an excellent point. Something was bothering me about the last post, and I had somewhat figured it out, but your post reminded me that they do those kinds of things, too. I was thinking through the day, they do well when I throw them outside - combination of running around, playing with outdoor toys, digging, examining plants, etc. And I was actually thinking the opposite of transitions - they tend to start breaks fine, and on weekends they have "quiet time" (alone) in their rooms, plus free hours with varying but usually low direction from us, and they do well. Your post reminded me, for example, they play school, my daughter in particular will come out of her room having written a newsletter or story, they decide it's "restaurant day" and make menus and help prepare, etc. I think now it's electronics, particularly TV. One thing I wrote in my last post, and your question, made me think - on school days, no electronics except typing 2x/week for older 2 and up to 1 hour educational TV for youngest. On weekends, limited and generally supervised educational TV and/or other electronic time for all. But on breaks, I tend to more lenient on quantity and quality of electronic time, particularly if I'm busy, say, catching up on a million things and planning my second quarter of homeschooling. And I think once they start, it sucks them in and snowballs. It seems so obvious to me now, but I was focusing on the worst on most recent pieces of the puzzle, and came to the wrong conclusion. It make so much more sense now. They are still "schedule freaks", but at least now I feel better about them making use of, and learning organically in, their free time, as long as I keep the electronics off. I rearranged my schedule as discussed so we now are done at 2:30, about an hour before we leave for activities, and next break I will see if I can go further. I will definitely keep a highly scheduled morning as you suggest, making sure we hit the priorities as boscopup mentioned.

bakpak, yes, my youngest is like that, generally, although quite independent. Some days she does fine - her area of the classroom is Montessori-style, too; some days she does come bug me, and some days she goes off (I think to play, which is fine and she often does) and gets into things in other rooms. So, yes, she is "telling me" she needs more attention. And even when she doesn't, I want more time with her. So hopefully I'll make my plan work to do that better now. And my older 2 do like teaching her (as long as she's going along). For their Daily 5, their "Read to Someone" is to her, from a shelf of quality picture books I've selected. They also include her (along with dolls, stuffed animals, and/or imaginary kids) when they play school. But that's a good idea; I'll have to think about including "Teach 3yo" in their independent work.

Really, thank you everyone, very much. It was like a puzzle in my head, and it looked like the pieces couldn't possibly go together, but your questions and comments helped me sort it out. Now I feel much better, and ready to start back (with 1 minute to spare!) Thanks!

I have only been HSing for 4 months, but one nugget of wisdom I think I can say I've earned is to take care of your needs regularly or else you WILL burn out and suffer guilty fantasies of the "big yellow bus". :banghead: Though it can be hard at first, I always feel better about our work and am *happier*/ more enthusiastic after I have had some "me" time--whether that is quiet time with a book (yes, use a DVD to occupy the kids if need be), time selfishly guarded to research a HS (or non-HS) topic on the internet, hide out in the bathroom with some chocolate, etc.

Yes, thanks. I am coming around. :) I am a total introvert/low-stimulation person, so I know I need to be mindful of that and take those breaks for myself. Initial changes are going well so far, and I plan to continue evaluating and working toward the right balance for us. Funny thing is, I used to pride myself on the relaxed, integrated learning. Most of our non-curriculum materials, and all of 3 yo's, we already had (and the kids used), I didn't really work formally with them for preschool, and with just a couple mornings a week of Montessori, they both still entered K about 2 years "ahead." Apparently once it became official homeschooling, I forgot all of that. :p Of course, I also used to pride myself on an appropriate balance of limiting vs utilizing electronics. Guess I need to watch myself. :) So embarrassed to have let that happen, and particularly to not have realized it!

They do have plenty of good, stimulating options for free time, and so far been choosing well (without me; yea!) So far, I've been doing our new free choice time within the school room (which does have some of the specific activities you mention, and others along the same lines) or outside, but I may further limit or ease up, depending on how it goes.

Thanks again, everyone.