Menu

Best time to visit Washington DC?

SebastianCat

We're hoping to take a vacation to Washington, DC some time this year. We're leaning toward going some time in the fall (Sept-Oct) or around Christmas but wondered when's the "best" time to go?

By "best" time we'd like to consider cost of travel, cost of lodging and food, crowds, availability of sights to see, etc. Any month after May works with our schedule.

FWIW, we live in Florida and my kids (who will be 11 & 9 by the time we go) have never (1) flown on an airplane; (2) really seen fall leaves changing; or (3) seen snow. Any of these experiences would be a bonus!

And if you have a great recommendation for a place to stay, I'd love to hear that as well. We'd likely want to fly in and use public transportation without renting a car to get to the hotel and get around the city.

Thanks!

The leaves don't change colour much in the DC area, but they do go from green to yellow to brown - not many reds or oranges. Snow is not likely until Nov. or Dec. It is very hot and humid in DC in the summer/fall, but you may be used to that. Hotels are expensive in DC, so look to the outlying areas near a bus or metro (subway) line. Sorry not to have more specific recommendations for you.

Um. The trees do change color and can be quite pretty. The ginko trees that line many of the streets turn a gorgeous glowing yellow. The tree lined Potomac river is lovely at that time of year. As is Rock Creek Parkway. However, if there has been a drought in August sometimes the color doesn't last long. Summer is very crowded with tourists. Very very crowded. I would come in the fall. Staying in the burbs near the metro line where the hotel provides shuttle services would be best. I live near Tyson's Corner so it is a pretty expensive area and although the new metro is supposed to open up this year, I don't know when. Maybe try hotels around Reagan National. There are lots of places to stay there and you can just take the metro in from there. You'll also be near Mount Vernon which is something you don't want to miss ( though it is on the pricey side).

Um. The trees do change color and can be quite pretty. The ginko trees that line many of the streets turn a gorgeous glowing yellow. The tree lined Potomac river is lovely at that time of year. As is Rock Creek Parkway. However, if there has been a drought in August sometimes the color doesn't last long. Summer is very crowded with tourists. Very very crowded. I would come in the fall. Staying in the burbs near the metro line where the hotel provides shuttle services would be best. I live near Tyson's Corner so it is a pretty expensive area and although the new metro is supposed to open up this year, I don't know when. Maybe try hotels around Reagan National. There are lots of places to stay there and you can just take the metro in from there. You'll also be near Mount Vernon which is something you don't want to miss ( though it is on the pricey side).

I agree. It can be very beautiful here in the fall - especially if you get away from the touristy urban parts of DC. Rock Creek parkwy (which the Zoo is on) is beautiful. Oct. and early Nov. would be a great time weather-wise too. Really anytime after Labor day, but the closer you get to Oct. the drier and cooler it will be. We usually have mild weather up until about Thanksgiving weekend.

If you're renting a car, the Shannandoah valley is not far from DC and the fall colors there are just beautiful. But really, just about anywhere outside the city will have pretty leaf colors too. You don't necessarily have to go far.

Snow and DC is a bit of a gamble. One year we had snow on Halloween (first time in my over 40yrs here) but didn't have any the rest of the winter. This year on Christmas we got flurries but no accululation (I live about 25min north of DC). Just about 30min. north of me my SIL got 4". The metro area is right on the snow/ice/rain line, so it's very hard to gauge if/when we'll get snow.

We just got back from DC - I have an EXCELLENT recommendation for places to stay - we had 2 adults, a teenager, 2 10 year olds, and a 5 year old when we went. We stayed here: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4726

Her name is Donna, and she is a fantastic host - she lives alone, and rents out the top floor of her house - she has hosted several homeschool families, from what she told us. For $60/night (no matter how many are in your party) she will pick you up from the airport, and take you back - she will give you a ride to/from the metro station each day (we took the metro to Target for groceries after our first day and she picked us all up from there, too) - you have the entire top floor of her house to yourself (3 bedrooms, big bathroom with a GLORIOUS shower) - full use of her huge kitchen, living areas, library/pool/computer room, there's a washer/dryer in the basement, free wi-fi, etc - you just can't beat it.

She has good info on the area, being a local for so many years, and is as engaging (or not) as you want to be. While we were there, she and my mother ended up becoming buddies and went to see a movie together - and Donna even sent her a couple of Christmas ornaments, lol - She does have cats, but I'm allergic to cats and didn't have a problem with dander or anything. I had allergy meds just in case, and it just wasn't an issue. I HIGHLY recommend her and her house. We thought it would be weird but it totally wasn't.

ETA: We went the week of Nov 16-23, 2012. Crowd level was perfect, weather was nice and crisp. One day was really cold, but we were ready with our big coats, lol (we live in FL, too.) If you want more info on Donna/our trip feel free to PM me. :)

We were there in May last year with the rocket team. It was the second weekend of the month. Perfect! Not cold, not hot, and most families still on vacation. The only caveat, 8th grade trips. It seemed to me that there were a lot of schools with 8th graders on their class trips.

Still, we rarely had any trouble with crowds that caused us any issues.

Faith

Yes, fall. Winter is cold. When it snows, it is usually icy snow that makes travel a mess.

Everything is pricey, so be prepared. There a lot of $$$ in the D.C. area and real estate is crazy expensive, so you won't find a lot of super deals. There are several Residence Inns in Arlington, VA that I've heard are good for visitors without a rental car.

Tripadvisor has accurate reviews, and I usually got there first when we travel.

There's a hotel someone here has been to in Alexandria (Old Town) but I can't remember the name. It's close to the metro and relatively inexpensive, but the pp's B&B sounds good, too.

I like fall here. Summer is hot and way crowded. Any time school is out is crowded.

Fall would definitely be the best for avoiding the crowds. In April/May you have TONS of school groups and then summer hits and you have lots of tourists who come because their kids are out of school. Any time after Labor Day (when the local kids go back to ps) should not be too crowded. Being from FL, it should be quite comfortable to you weather wise. The heat seems to leave quickly when September comes.

Um. The trees do change color and can be quite pretty. The ginko trees that line many of the streets turn a gorgeous glowing yellow. The tree lined Potomac river is lovely at that time of year. As is Rock Creek Parkway.

I guess it is relative to what you are used to.

When I envision trees changing colour, I see what I grew up with - brilliant, fiery colours. The ones in this area are very 'meh' to me, but better than where I lived in California though!

We're hoping to take a vacation to Washington, DC some time this year. We're leaning toward going some time in the fall (Sept-Oct) or around Christmas but wondered when's the "best" time to go?

By "best" time we'd like to consider cost of travel, cost of lodging and food, crowds, availability of sights to see, etc. Any month after May works with our schedule.

FWIW, we live in Florida and my kids (who will be 11 & 9 by the time we go) have never (1) flown on an airplane; (2) really seen fall leaves changing; or (3) seen snow. Any of these experiences would be a bonus!

And if you have a great recommendation for a place to stay, I'd love to hear that as well. We'd likely want to fly in and use public transportation without renting a car to get to the hotel and get around the city.

Thanks!

We were there for 5 days at the beginning of September a couple years ago (right after labor day) - it was warm, but not horrible. Only short spurts of rain. Busy, but no real crowds anywhere. We rented a beautiful townhome (VRBO) near Howard University and took the metro train most everywhere; a couple times we drove our van and parked at Union Station.

To save on meals and snacks, we packed simple lunches to bring along in a backpack - croissants, cheese cubes, fruit, hardboiled eggs, water bottles, etc. Eating our little picnics on the National Mall, on a bench near the Captiol Building, in the sculpture garden, etc., are some of my favorite memories.

You will read about this I'm sure, but there are a few buildings that will not allow you to bring in any kind of bag or purse - the White House and Capitol Building are the two that come to mind, so be sure to plan accordingly. I believe you can rent lockers at Union Station. We drove the day we toured those places and left our stuff in the van at Union Station until we were done.

FWIW, I was pleasantly surprised at how friendly all the people were (on the trains, in the stations, on the street, etc.) and helpful when we needed directions or were wondering how to work the ticket machines or what stop to get off. It was as though everyone had just taken a course on how to be extra friendly to clueless tourists. :D

Happy planning!

The leaves don't change colour much in the DC area, but they do go from green to yellow to brown - not many reds or oranges. Snow is not likely until Nov. or Dec. It is very hot and humid in DC in the summer/fall, but you may be used to that. Hotels are expensive in DC, so look to the outlying areas near a bus or metro (subway) line. Sorry not to have more specific recommendations for you.

It can be lovely in the fall.

It can be lovely in the fall.