Menu

6yo ds won't eat anymore!

Carrie Sue

He has always been picky, but now it's ridiculous. It started a couple months ago with frequent stomachaches at inopportune times. I thought it was stress and told him so, he got better almost immediately. Then we all had a bad cold over Christmas and he's back to not wanting food anymore (unless its ice cream, cookies, chips, or fruit snacks, all of which are disallowed until further notice). He ate a few bites of steak last night for dinner and 2 baby carrots. Didn't want anything afterward (offered yogurt, several types of fruit, etc...) Today he ate 1/2 of a small waffle, after I told him he had to, refused to take a snack to school/doesn't want anything we have. He is already my skinny kid and is starting to look wan, but I don't know what to do to get him to eat! Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Since you saw him get better on his own for a while I would not make a big deal of eating. Remove anything from the house that you don't consider a meal and offer a reasonable choice of foods. See what happens. If you give in to the goodies at all he's liable to continue that route. Maybe make goodies something that happens for specials once in a while when you're out. :grouphug:

It's hard to say. I have had 2 kids with severe feeding problems who needed therapy and are mostly normal functional eaters now. I also have a normal 5yr old who eats almost nothing most of the time. She's tiny, but we see no physical weakness and no pattern with texture problems and other issues like our older girls had.

Is he hungry and still refusing to eat? That would be a red flag to me that there's a problem. My older girls were so hungry they'd cry but they could not eat normally and if forced they would vomit. Part of it was sensory and part of it was physical. They have very bad gastric reflux which created a negative cycle of food being associated with pain as well. I'd want to rule out reflux, allergies, food sensitivities, and other things that may cause him physical discomfort with eating.

If he's not feeling hunger and is not physically weak, it's probably within the range of normal. This is my 5yr old. I wonder how she can live on what she eats but somehow she is still healthy, active, thriving, and growing (slowly). We don't fight about her food and if she wants to starve herself she can because we know she will eat before she truly makes herself sick.

If he's not feeling hunger but getting physically weak, then it could be a combo of naturally lower hunger sensations and needing to learn to eat for health. This is me and my father and his side of the family. For some reason, we can all go extremely long periods without having a normal hunger sensation. When I was a teen and so active, I had problems because I would get weak and sick because I forgot to eat. I wasn't consciously starving myself, but I'd end up shaky and dizzy and think, "darn, I forgot to eat all day!" This is harder for kids, but I'd try to teach him that his body needs food and just like he needs to brush his teeth, he needs to eat a sufficient amount of calories every few hours and then give him some high protein easy options.

It's hard to say. I have had 2 kids with severe feeding problems who needed therapy and are mostly normal functional eaters now. I also have a normal 5yr old who eats almost nothing most of the time. She's tiny, but we see no physical weakness and no pattern with texture problems and other issues like our older girls had.

Is he hungry and still refusing to eat? That would be a red flag to me that there's a problem. My older girls were so hungry they'd cry but they could not eat normally and if forced they would vomit. Part of it was sensory and part of it was physical. They have very bad gastric reflux which created a negative cycle of food being associated with pain as well. I'd want to rule out reflux, allergies, food sensitivities, and other things that may cause him physical discomfort with eating.

If he's not feeling hunger and is not physically weak, it's probably within the range of normal. This is my 5yr old. I wonder how she can live on what she eats but somehow she is still healthy, active, thriving, and growing (slowly). We don't fight about her food and if she wants to starve herself she can because we know she will eat before she truly makes herself sick.

If he's not feeling hunger but getting physically weak, then it could be a combo of naturally lower hunger sensations and needing to learn to eat for health. This is me and my father's and his side of the family. For some reason, we can all go extremely long periods without having a normal hunger sensation. When I was a teen and so active, I had problems because I would get weak and sick because I forgot to eat. I wasn't consciously starving myself, but I'd end up shaky and dizzy and think, "darn, I forgot to eat all day!" This is harder for kids, but I'd try to teach him that his body needs food and just like he needs to brush his teeth, he needs to eat a sufficient amount of calories every few hours and then give him some high protein easy options.

Good suggestions! I think he does not have his usual energy and is extremely difficult to get up in the morning now (didn't used to be). I am trying to get protein in him at each meal, even if just a few bites. He will eat a scrambled egg if forced to (ie., told to), bites of steak or pork chop, fish sticks (not the healthiest choice, I know) and sometimes chicken.

I wouldn't want to make food a battle.

Well, that's true, but it sounds like he just won't eat, period (other than a few junk food options).

OP, have you talked to his doctor yet? If this is beyond "normal" pickiness and you're concerned for his health, it's time for that step, I think. Does your gut say it's a pickiness thing or do you think there may be underlying issues?

I don't think food is causing him pain...his stomachaches are usually in the middle of the night, or before bed or when we first arrive somewhere (I think it's anxiety). I haven't wanted to go the Dr. route because I don't think they'll be able to figure anything out and will assume it's just pickiness.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'm going to keep on trying things!

He has always been picky, but now it's ridiculous. It started a couple months ago with frequent stomachaches at inopportune times. I thought it was stress and told him so, he got better almost immediately. Then we all had a bad cold over Christmas and he's back to not wanting food anymore (unless its ice cream, cookies, chips, or fruit snacks, all of which are disallowed until further notice). He ate a few bites of steak last night for dinner and 2 baby carrots. Didn't want anything afterward (offered yogurt, several types of fruit, etc...) Today he ate 1/2 of a small waffle, after I told him he had to, refused to take a snack to school/doesn't want anything we have. He is already my skinny kid and is starting to look wan, but I don't know what to do to get him to eat! Any suggestions would be most welcome!

The bolded (and that you said he doesn't have his normal energy) would make me think a visit to the doctor is in order. He doesn't sound healthy. Please take him in.

Any chance he would work with you on a meal plan? Sit down and have him make choices in advance, then make a cute chart for him. For the anxious kid, sometimes it helps to know in advance what's coming. You could even put in the calorie count and show him how it needs to add up to a certain amount each day.

I'm not suggesting this as a long term thing, but more of a "get him eating again" trick. It might also help with your tracking if he starts complaining about the stomach aches again.

I like the food chart idea and gaining his assistance! We'll sit down tonight and see what we can come up with and build in some special items here and there maybe. He is also due for a Dr. appt, so we'll get him in soon. I also think I'm going to start him on a multivitamin. THANKS everyone!

we've also found meal time read-alouds to help. i put each person's meal on the table, grab a book and read while they eat. because they are focused on what i am reading rather than on the food, it mostly goes down without comment/complaint.

good luck.

ann