Menu

Moving to TN -- Questions

We'll be moving from Missouri to Tennessee in February. Here in MO, my DD isn't compulsory age yet, but she will be in TN (she's 6, turning 7 in August).

Is there any good reason not to just notify the local school district in TN when we move? I know that umbrella schools are popular, but I'd rather not incur the extra expense right now.

Thanks!

You may not have to register for this year-and at 6, if you register you'll likely have to register her for K. At 7, you'll probably be able to go ahead and register her for 2nd, if you have any records at all.

Regardless, there's really no reason to register through an umbrella if you trust your local school district until you get to testing grades (and maybe not then if you don't mind having your DC test) Having worked for mine, I know just how flaky the office can be, so I feel paying for an umbrella is worth it just for my peace of mind in being able to do everything online instead of having to file paper forms and pray they don't get lost.

FWIW, Homelife Academy is only $50/ year.

Mandy

And they will set you up with a payment plan if you need one.

Welcome to TN!! :hurray:

And they will probably wave the fee if you have need.

That said, there really isn't a reason not to sign up with the local school district at that age. 5th is when they usually get pushy and require testing in the ps system. Some systems are a hassle, some aren't. You can always switch over at any point if the one you live in turns out to be a pain.

I'm in the flaky district mentioned earlier... actually... my district just voted itself out of existence so why would I trust them to do paperwork correctly? When I moved to TN, the minor expense was worth it to me for umbrella school. I was legal with push of a few online buttons. Didn't have to deal with local schools at all.

It was mentioned about the register for Kindy thing... TN has this odd thing.... you can't register for 1st grade public unless you attended Kindy at some kind of school (approved umbrella or brick and mortar). so, it's always possible the local district might apply that your situation too and make you register for Kindy...

I also use Home Life. it's a little more than 50 a year... I think you'd pay 80 dollars for the rest of this academic year in your situation. Then in 2013-2014, you could pay 70 with some discounts. in the picture of moving costs.... 80 dollars for the ease of not dealing with local district in the middle of the year.. then you have time to settle in and find other homeschoolers who have first hand dealing with local to know if you want to know which way to go....

if you're worried about "church" related school... HLA wants you to agree to an ethics code, not sign a religious statement

I know... moving is stressful and one more expense is crazy. but when I moved from another state, it was worth it. My children were much older and all of that.

Are you comfortable sharing which school district you would be moving to? We may be able to help provide specific info. It really SHOULDN'T be a problem registering to homeschool through the public school system. However, some of the districts are more difficult about it. Have you found this website (www.tnhomeed.com) yet? It provides a very good overview of all the different options to homeschool in Tennessee.