Menu

Do you have a swing set? Which one? Do you like it?

ChristusG

We got a cheap, metal swing set when oldest DD was about 3 (she's 8 now). The slide fell off long ago. The beams have rusted through in some places. And yet, both of my older kids (8 and 5) still love to use it. Then, of course, I have DD#3 who is 14 months who hasn't begun using it yet. As a combined birthday gift, I'm thinking of getting the girls a swing set in the spring (DD#2's birthday is in early March, so we would get it then or right before). However, I have no idea what to get. The price and quality seems to be so varied.

We do NOT want metal, unless it is something like the playground quality you would find at a school or something....so no more cheap walmart sets.

My girls favorite part of our current swing set it something like this: (the left swing...it's sort of like a two person glider) http://www.mrtoys.co... Set;Item;1080. They definitely want something similar on their next set. They are on it constantly. Also, my oldest is currently 8 years old and will be turning 9 in early spring. So I'd want something she could enjoy for a few years as well. We don't need a fort on the top....honestly, that's something that would just draw wasp nests, palmetto bugs, and spider webs down here in our Florida summers. Actually, we'd prefer NOT to have a fort for this very reason.

Does anyone have any ideas to what will fit our needs/wants? I've looked around but the variance in prices/quality seems overwhelming!

ETA: Honestly, a really nice swing beam with a variety of types of swings/gliders would be great for us! A slide would also be a plus. We already have a jungle gym (this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lifetime-Dome-Climber-Earth-Tones/16560787) so a climbing feature is not mandatory.

We went to Menards and looks at their "commercial grade" kits and picked one. It was expensive BUT each item is rated to 500 pounds so even adults can safely enjoy all of it. It is also rated for 8-10 or so kids at a time. You want to watch the kits closely as many of the cheaper ones will say they are rated to 100 pounds or some even 80 pounds which quickly rules out your tweens/young teens. Ours also took twice as long to build as the directions said but it has held up very well. We even tipped it over on a flat bed trailer and hauled it down the road to our new house and set it up again.

My 17dd still loves to sit out there and swing while listening to her ipod. My nieces and nephews all call it a "playground" and love to play on it.

We have a customized version (we expanded the bridge and swing area so we have 2 swings on each side of the glider in the middle) that is very similar to this:

http://www.cedarwork...w/serendipity_8

I realize you aren't looking for forts or play areas but you could certainly adapt one of their sets to work for what you want. The current set we have was constructed summer 2010 but we have had other sets from their company in the past. We also have one of their indoor sets in our playroom which gets a lot of use in the winter.

We have a large Rainbow play system with a 9ft swing base. My college kids still go out on it with their 10yr old sister... and sometimes by themselves!

We purchased a 'floor model' and got a steep discount plus free delivery/set up. We chose to put 12+ inches of pea gravel under and around it (with retaining stones to keep the gravel in place). It is great to be able to play in any weather (no mud!)--- and is great protection for my 'no fear' children! Ours is almost 9 years old and is still going strong!

We bought and built a wooden set from Sam's Club. It took DH an entire day (maybe two) to build it, but it was so nice. Looking at the Sam's website, it was closest to the Monterey plan. We ordered it online, and all of the materials were delivered to us. Unfortunately because it was so solid and thus heavy, we left it when we sold the house.

I noticed there are reviews on the site for each playset.

We have a large Rainbow play system with a 9ft swing base. My college kids still go out on it with their 10yr old sister... and sometimes by themselves!

We purchased a 'floor model' and got a steep discount plus free delivery/set up. We chose to put 12+ inches of pea gravel under and around it (with retaining stones to keep the gravel in place). It is great to be able to play in any weather (no mud!)--- and is great protection for my 'no fear' children! Ours is almost 9 years old and is still going strong!

The Rainbow sets are incredibly well built. A few years ago, in spring, out local Costco had one of the Rainbow models at a great price -- it might be worth checking there.

• 4 months later...
Guest getting-it-done

Funny you mentioned Costco. I saw two swing sets I liked. One from Yardline and Kid's Creations. The sets from Kids creations seemed to be a better deal than the Rainbow sets. Seemed to compare well, but not nearly as expensive. Has anyone tried the design your swing set feature on the Kids creations website? It seems really cool! Not sure if I should go with that or Yardline.