Menu

There one day and gone the next. What is going on?

I have always homeschooled my now 7 year old son. One of the problems we run into is he loses information some days. There are things he knows very well, but a day will come up where he acts as though he never learned it. The next day he knows the information again even if I didn't reteach it. It baffles me. I don't know why it happens or what to do about it. Wish I could explain it better. I chalk it up to just having an off day, but honestly it seems to be something more.

We had a full psychiatric and educational evaluation done in September. He has ADHD which was no surprise. He was tested average and above in abilities and school work. He told us to keep on doing what we are doing. We just discovered vision therapy and started that. He has a slight tracking problem (his reading speed plateaued) and is basically uncoordinated (can barely catch a soccer ball). He has a big heart, is a people pleaser, gentle nature, and happy-go-lucky temperament.

I'm hoping someone here could provide some insight. Those days make feel like I am not doing a good enough job homeschooling.

Someone else will say the same thing, but I'll go ahead and say it. It just is how it is. Don't freak out. Move on, play, do other things. My dd doesn't do that any more. She's 13. So somewhere between then and now it stopped of its own accord. So just enjoy the time and do things that ARE working. Play more and stress less. It's only screwy in the short-term, because you're comparing them to their peers. Definitely do the basics (as efficiently as possible), but beyond that stop stressing. More games, more creative stuff, more time to build and explore and do whatever makes him blossom. A lot of the things that are freaking you out chill with age. Seriously. :)

:iagree:

I wish someone told me what OhElizabeth said when DS was younger. DS gradually stopped doing that over the last one year. He still forgets how to write some alphabets, but now, I go with the flow. Before, *any* information was liable to be forgotten, but he'd have perfect recollection of others, so I was often very confused. So yes, their brains do develop and their memories do improve. :001_smile:

You wrote that he 'is basically uncoordinated'.

Where you might look at what sort of information he loses?

Whether it is the type of information that requires a coordinated recall?

As in recalling a series or step by step process?

As opposed to rote recall of verbal script?

The posts from Tiramisu, Dbmamaz and OhElizabeth have disappeared :(. Kind of like the title of this thread :lol:.

In any case, OhElizabeth brought up what she read in The Dyslexic Advantage by the Eides - that the minicolumns on the brain where information is stored is spaced further apart in dyslexics (and possibly other SN kids). So it takes a lot longer for the neurons to form connections. In retrieval, the information seems lost. But as the child develops and there is more information, the connections suddenly make sense and retrieval is a lot better. This accounts for information that is seemingly lost and for the "bad days" that these kids have.

I hope I'm accurate in writing that.

The Eides go on to say that as a result of these long interconnections that are finally formed, Dyslexics(/SN types) do make the most amazing interconnections between and among information.

The posts from Tiramisu, Dbmamaz and OhElizabeth have disappeared :(. Kind of like the title of this thread :lol:.

In any case, OhElizabeth brought up what she read in The Dyslexic Advantage by the Eides - that the minicolumns on the brain where information is stored is spaced further apart in dyslexics (and possibly other SN kids). So it takes a lot longer for the neurons to form connections. In retrieval, the information seems lost. But as the child develops and there is more information, the connections suddenly make sense and retrieval is a lot better. This accounts for information that is seemingly lost and for the "bad days" that these kids have.

The Eides go on to say that as a result of these long interconnections that are finally formed, Dyslexics(/SN types) do make the most amazing interconnections between and among information.

Wow. That is fascinating. I definitely see this in my son. Once something is solid/retrievable it's not just there but integrated in so many interesting ways.

I think my reply to the OP was along the lines of having two dc's who had this problem, with math in particular. One grew out of it by age 10. The other did not but it doesn't seem to have hurt her that much in the long run. SAT math scores were good. :)

Does it help to know that you can become a functional adult after years of those occasional blocks? I have a lot of memories of having that frustration of knowing I knew something, but not being able to express it, find the word, get it out, and often bursting into tears. My speech therapist taught me to "talk around it", and basically how to cue others to give me the missing word, but it was still an extremely frustrating experience. However, now, at age 40, it really doesn't happen. Sometime around puberty/early 20s, it was like my body finally caught up with my brain, or maybe my brain started slowing down, and it leveled out.

I find whenever the weather shifts, both my ds and I get really sluggish...our brains literally slow down and it feels like we're working through a fog. It's really hard to think clearly. I figure it's something to do with inflammation but I don't know. One day all his letters are backwards and the next day they go the right way again.

I've tried over the years to find SOME correlation to explain but I haven't yet. And, I've stopped looking. Just today he forgot how to write the number '4'....he's two grade levels ahead in math but can't remember what 4 looks like. I wrote it for him and he STILL didn't recognize. So, we reviewed it and moved on. Sigh.....it's always something. Everyday there is something. It's honestly easier for us to accept it as how he is. I've done too much searching/researching/fighting. I just want to enjoy what he can do and help him when he cannot.