Menu

Anybody else have a really hard time dropping your dc off at school this morning?

Yes. Today I was volunteering at school during the "stranger danger" lockdown drill. It was more traumatic for the adults than the kids and went really smoothly. What surprised me was how much the teachers talked to the kids about what had happened--seemed to violate all the suggestions posted by psychologists about NOT talking to first graders about it. I don't have a problem with how it was handled at all, just surprised. We also had extra administrators on site and our superintendent did a walk through of all the schools.

Our schools aren't any more dangerous or safer today than they were last week, but I appreciate the school district and city police efforts to make the adults feel safer. My son's first grade teacher is handling it well, but I can tell this is really hard for her.

On the flip side, while we adults were focused on the shooting, our first graders were completely focused on the rare snowfall we had during recess!

Our local police department picked this morning to run "traffic control" in front of the elementary school. I'm sure it was no coincidence, but I think it was terrible judgement. You drive up, and there is a police car parked in front of the school, which keeps whipping out and pulling over parents, then the cop gives them warnings about double parking, or whatever. Really???? This did *not* make me or anyone else feel any safer, or reassured today.

The school is handling things beautifully, it's a K-2 school and they haven't said anything to the kids, it seems that most parents haven't, either. But they had counselors and staff on hand, and the teachers were prepared to deal with it on a case-by-case basis in each classroom, if the kids brought it up.

I really didn't feel any extra anxiety sending my son to school. I know it was a massive, shocking, horrific disaster, but I don't feel any less comfortable. I think I'm kind of numb after knowing what is going on to children, young ladies, and families in Syria. Daily. Nightly. However, in general, I am trying to focus on the big picture of our family and children rather than fret over daily details that won't matter in 10 years.

I really didn't feel any extra anxiety sending my son to school. I know it was a massive, shocking, horrific disaster, but I don't feel any less comfortable. I think I'm kind of numb after knowing what is going on to children, young ladies, and families in Syria. Daily. Nightly. However, in general, I am trying to focus on the big picture of our family and children rather than fret over daily details that won't matter in 10 years.

I know you are right, and that rationally there is nothing to fear, and that we have the problems of the fortunate . . . but I confess that as I drive up to the school, *I* feel this overwhelming anxiety and fear. It's all me, it doesn't make sense, but it is there. It is just so hard not to imagine myself as one of those parents, or imagine something horrific happening at this safe place . . . I am normally a really calm and rational person, but I feel very shaken every morning, and every afternoon. I just wondered if anyone else is going through the same thing. It feels silly and self indulgent, I guess, but it is a real emotion. KWIM?

I had a hard time dropping DD5 off to PM kindy on Friday (we're in CA)--I was scheduled to volunteer the first hour and didn't want to leave until after I saw my 1st grader go to lunch. It took every bit of strength not to go back to the school and just bring them home. Yesterday I was more afraid that the kids would hear something that would scare them but so far they don't seem to know what happened.

I do find the speed trap right across the street from the school to be very reassuring, where previously it was just a big annoyance.

I think a lot of us posting on this thread have 6 year olds and/or first graders. It would be tragic no matter what the age of the victims, but it seems closer to home when they were the same age or grade as your child.

- mom of a six year old boy

I know you are right, and that rationally there is nothing to fear, and that we have the problems of the fortunate . . . but I confess that as I drive up to the school, *I* feel this overwhelming anxiety and fear. It's all me, it doesn't make sense, but it is there. It is just so hard not to imagine myself as one of those parents, or imagine something horrific happening at this safe place . . . I am normally a really calm and rational person, but I feel very shaken every morning, and every afternoon. I just wondered if anyone else is going through the same thing. It feels silly and self indulgent, I guess, but it is a real emotion. KWIM?

Yes, of course it's a real emotion, and I think it's normal to feel shaken. Being from the Middle East, I've known too much unrest for too long. :D

I think a lot of us posting on this thread have 6 year olds and/or first graders. It would be tragic no matter what the age of the victims, but it seems closer to home when they were the same age or grade as your child.

- mom of a six year old boy

This is exactly it. I have a six year old and a seven year old. Every time I think of those poor kids, I see my boys faces.

I was Ok leaving my 8 yo dd. I had told her about the incident because I didn't want her to hear at school. I only shared the bare minimum with her, just enough so that if she heard anything she would not be in shock. As far as I know there was no mention at all so all was well.

I hadn't planned on telling my kids (both first-graders) about last Friday, but they heard about it while passing through a room where someone was watching the news, and then there was some talk about it at school. Today they were told to wear white or green shirts to school and they are going to make a poster and sign it . . . I don't know all the details.

I really didn't want all of our kids to lose their innocence over one madman. Of course I feel horrible for the grieving parents and I haven't stopped crying, but what can our kids do about this? I hope nobody's encouraging them to think "it could be you."

Yesterday I dropped off my kids a little late due to having to go to work in the morning. I walked the girls in there to make sure they weren't stranded if the class had already headed to chapel. (They usually head there just a few minutes after the bell rings.) I was dismayed to find that the classroom door was locked (the kids were lined up inside). Then I noticed a lot of new signs saying visitors have to check into the office, etc. I later got a school flyer going over these rules, saying the school is on lockdown from 8:30-3:00, etc. Honestly, I find this all very dismaying. My kids are as safe at school as they would be anywhere we go. I hate that they are being made to feel vulnerable at school. Especially since it doesn't actually make things safer. If I were a maniac determined to shot school children, unfortunately, it would not take any extra effort to shoot my way into their classroom before doing so. I don't see how making the school feel like a crime scene is helpful in any way. :( There is plenty of time for our kids to learn fear before they can actually do anything about it. :(

Meanwhile my dd6 has an hour detention to serve today in a part of the school she's never been to (3rd floor). She is terrified that she'll be left alone and not know how to get out. Her sister is scared for her too.

Christmas vacation can't come soon enough.

I hadn't planned on telling my kids (both first-graders) about last Friday, but they heard about it while passing through a room where someone was watching the news, and then there was some talk about it at school. Today they were told to wear white or green shirts to school and they are going to make a poster and sign it . . . I don't know all the details.

I really didn't want all of our kids to lose their innocence over one madman. Of course I feel horrible for the grieving parents and I haven't stopped crying, but what can our kids do about this? I hope nobody's encouraging them to think "it could be you."

Yesterday I dropped off my kids a little late due to having to go to work in the morning. I walked the girls in there to make sure they weren't stranded if the class had already headed to chapel. (They usually head there just a few minutes after the bell rings.) I was dismayed to find that the classroom door was locked (the kids were lined up inside). Then I noticed a lot of new signs saying visitors have to check into the office, etc. I later got a school flyer going over these rules, saying the school is on lockdown from 8:30-3:00, etc. Honestly, I find this all very dismaying. My kids are as safe at school as they would be anywhere we go. I hate that they are being made to feel vulnerable at school. Especially since it doesn't actually make things safer. If I were a maniac determined to shot school children, unfortunately, it would not take any extra effort to shoot my way into their classroom before doing so. I don't see how making the school feel like a crime scene is helpful in any way. :( There is plenty of time for our kids to learn fear before they can actually do anything about it. :(

Meanwhile my dd6 has an hour detention to serve today in a part of the school she's never been to (3rd floor). She is terrified that she'll be left alone and not know how to get out. Her sister is scared for her too.

Christmas vacation can't come soon enough.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

Who on earth gives an hour detention to a six-year-old what did she do - throw things at the teacher, swear continuously?

I can't imagine how you feel. I know logically the risk is exactly the same but logic doesn't always help in such circumstances. Have a peaceful Christmas.

Who on earth gives an hour detention to a six-year-old what did she do - throw things at the teacher, swear continuously?

I can't imagine how you feel. I know logically the risk is exactly the same but logic doesn't always help in such circumstances. Have a peaceful Christmas.

She took a candy cane off the class Christmas tree without asking.

All went fine. The teacher who monitored the detention was someone she knew and she was happy to find that the room was full of other kids who also had detentions. I don't think the detention was much of a deterrant. Everyone guard your candy canes!