Menu

Best Roald Dahl book to start with for a 7 yo boy?

Jennefer@SSA

I am putting together our reading lists for this year and first I am putting together a list of books he can read to me for 20-30 min each day.

Here's what I have so far:

Farmer Boy

Tale of Despereaux

Ralph S. Mouse Series

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Rats of NIHM

Encyclopedia Brown books (We've already read 3 in the series so we'll read a few more before moving on.)

I want to introduce him to Roald Dahl but not sure which book would be best for an independent reader.

Thanks!

Maybe The Enormous Crocodile? I think that is the title. My dc also really enjoyed the audio book of The BFG. We listened to it in the van and they begged me to bring it inside so they could continue listening. Of course there is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that all kids enjoy (well, most). If you can get the audio of The BFG read by a British woman (I can't remember her name), do so. Well worth it.

My son (7) is a Roald Dahl fan and the BFG is his favorite book. I think the reading level would be comparable to the books you have listed. I personally find the Roald Dahl books to have an undercurrent of "meanness" embedded in the humor but kids do love them. The BFG is my favorite as the plot is extremely clever and the cruelty is for the most part confined to the actions of the giants (and every one knows giants are cruel). My son adores the plays on language spoken by the BFG (Big Friendly Giant).

Danny the Champion of the World is my all-time favorite Roald Dahl book, actually in my top 10 books of any genre. I love it so...but I don't know if it's the best one for a beginning reader, because I haven't read any of the thinner R.D. books like the BFG (actually, in Danny, Danny's father tells him stories at night, and the BFG is one of them). For those who think Roald Dahl is all meanness (and it's true that his stories are very dark, as is his adult writing) try this one - it is tender and sweet and wonderful. And funny, too.

We've only read two, but I think either James and the Giant Peach or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory would work. I read them as read alouds 2 years ago, and my just turned 8 yo just read them on her own.

I agree. My dd loved James & The Giant Peach and Charlie & The Chocolate Facotry.

My kids loved George's Marvelous Medicine. I read it all in one sitting because they were literally screaming with laughter. They have liked every RD book we have read (six or seven in all, I think) except for James and the Giant Peach. That one just didn't hold their interest and we stopped halfway through.

Tara

My ds 7 loves Roal Dahl! He has read Fantastic Mr. Fox, George's Marvelous Medicine, The Magic Finger, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The BFG, Esio Trot, Danny and the Champion of the World, James and the Giant Peach, The Crocodile.

I just purchased a few more for him!

Susie