Menu

What can be done to help "mental fog" associated with autoimmune or other medical problems?

Carolyn in Ohio

I am currently seeing a rheumatologist because I have joint pain, swelling, overwhelming fatigue, muscle weakness, etc. It is most likely not RA, and his current theory is possible fibromyalgia. One of the biggest problems is the mental fog, especially with homeschooling. I need to use my brain! I didn't pick up a book to read for pleasure for about a week because it just seemed so overwhelming. This is not like me at all. When I am too tired to drink a diet coke and read a book, something is clearly wrong :)

Are there any particular vitamins or supplements that would help with mental/cognitive issues like this? I am making an effort to eat more protein.

thanks

Carolyn

No magic answers but a few things that have helped me at different times:

Addressing thyroid issues (Hashimoto's)

Addressing low Vit D

Addressing adrenal issues (Addison's, but one could have adrenal fatigue)

Methylcobalamin B-12 injections

Doing everything possible to decrease inflammation - this is a huge list of supplements and diet

Gluten-free

Addressing chronic infection which caused the joint pain, fibro symptoms, etc

Enough sleep

Excellent vitamin regimen

None of those was the magic bullet. I still have times of brain fog. But it's better most of the time, and sometimes gone completely.

Hmmm, maybe I need a pm too, if it contains a magic bullet? :)

I don't have any family history of celiac or gluten problems. I guess I'll read up on that now too. Would it just hit all of a sudden in your mid-40's? I have been having these problems for about 6 months.

With celiac disease, you are born with a gene for an autoimmune disease. It can become active at any point in time, or it can remain inactive for your entire life. I'm not sure whether gluten intolerance is lifelong or can start in mid-life. Celiac is associated with many autoimmune diseases including RA, fibromyalgia, and Hashimotos. Genetically, they tend to cluster together. One theory that is becoming more prominent is that undiagnosed celiac disease causes other autoimmune genes to be "turned on." Discovering undiagnosed celiac has the potential to prevent many other health problems. Since it is one of the most under-diagnosed illnesses around, it's worth exploring. A simple blood test can rule it out (though a positive diagnosis would require further testing).

If you feel bad, it's likely you need an increase in dosage. Or you could need to change meds. I switched to Armour,but still feel crappy.

If it doesn't start doing more I will switch, I am on levothyroxine at the moment. The Dr did say the brands may work better as far as thyroid meds go, I wanted to at least give the generic a try. It doesn't seem super effective.

Coconut oil helps many people reduce or even eliminate mental fog. It must be cold pressed and unrefined for optimum health benefits - and ideally organic. I buy mine from my health food store for $8.

Aim for 2 tbsp. a day - you can add it to your coffee (will make it oily of course, but it tastes good), spread it on toast, or take it straight (this is what I do).

I notice a real difference in my own mental and overall energy when I remember to take it. I recommended it to a friend of mine who has pretty severe auto-immune issues and she's now taking it regularly and says it is making a huge difference for her. I don't know if there have been scientific studies done on this benefit of coconut oil, but there is a ton of anecdotal evidence on the web that coconut oil provides this benefit. There are many other uses and health benefits as well.

If it doesn't start doing more I will switch, I am on levothyroxine at the moment. The Dr did say the brands may work better as far as thyroid meds go, I wanted to at least give the generic a try. It doesn't seem super effective.

That's the med I started out on, it helped my TSH level, but I still felt terrible. I also try generics first, they are much less expensive. You could just need an increase in dosage.

Sadly, I've found out that auto-immune disease meds aren't like taking otc pain meds...one size does not fit all. It's trial and error which is frustrating especially when you already feel bad.

Kim

I have Lupus and my brain fog is bad!

I've temporarily given up and I'm drinking coffee again. No matter what I do, it seems like it (the fog) comes and goes as it pleases. When I had that first cup of coffee after a long break it was like... HELLO WORLD!! I"M BACK!! HIP HIP HORRAY!!

Haha! I can't describe how good it felt, to feel as if I was aware and awake again.

I was supposed to stop after school started back up. I know it's time. Wah.

I'm working on my vitamin D right now.

Sleep is probably the most important for me. Real sleep though, not that going to bed at 2-3am/wake up every hour type sleep.

I really resent the fog. I feel like it's stolen something most important from me.

I don't have any family history of celiac or gluten problems. I guess I'll read up on that now too. Would it just hit all of a sudden in your mid-40's? I have been having these problems for about 6 months.

Carolyn

Sometimes I wonder if it is just a 40s thing! I'm 41. I feel rundown and foggy most of the time. I do have problems with gluten but I've been gluten-free for over 18 years. I'd love to find a magic solution. I think in my case some of it is sleep deprivation. I do feel better if I get a lot of sleep (meaning like 10-12 hours!). I wonder if it is hormonal as well. I've noticed that I do feel better during certain times of the month.

No answers but plenty of empathy!

You may find the vitamin D does a lot of good when you get your levels up. Are you taking a D3 form (not prescription)? Up to 10,000 IU per day is safe to take and will get your level up faster. Maybe you're already doing that but I mention it because sometimes doctors prescribe a D2 form and it's not the best way to work on levels.

A just want to mention checking coq10 and carnitine levels. Sometimes metabolic conditions affecting mitochondrial function manifest later in life.

Another thought is doing a sleep study.

Sometimes I wonder if it is just a 40s thing! I'm 41. I feel rundown and foggy most of the time. I do have problems with gluten but I've been gluten-free for over 18 years. I'd love to find a magic solution. I think in my case some of it is sleep deprivation. I do feel better if I get a lot of sleep (meaning like 10-12 hours!). I wonder if it is hormonal as well. I've noticed that I do feel better during certain times of the month.

No answers but plenty of empathy!

I think that can be part of it, and certainly the tipping point. I'm 41, too. Having my low-normal thyroid supplemented helped. Going off gluten helped more. And, finally, starting with natural progesterone cream cleared out the rest of the fog and fatigue.

It's nice, feeling like a sane, functioning person again.