Menu

Math Question

anmom

When scheduling math for a 1st and 2nd grader, do you just have them do a lesson or 2 or work for a certain amount of time, for example do as many lessons as you can in x amount of time?

If you schedule by time, what is appropriate for these grades?

People do it different ways. I have been using an x amount of time method. MAth has generally been one hour per day, but I was not hs'ing in first. (Currently it is more time, fewer days per week, due to extracurricular activities on one day) but actually 1 hour per day 5 days per week was best.) Probably would have done less in first, or most of it would have been "fun"kitchen table math stuff (that was true often for 2nd). My reason for x time is that some parts of math are harder and some easier, and the x time allows not making the hard times into torture of it also taking longer. I also like to know when the main official part of homeschool is expected to end each day--sort of like regular school. We may learn all the time, but certainly are not at work on curriculum learning all the time.

I have found the x time works well for both daily sense of completion and rhythm, and also allows what needs to be done in the year to be done. However, x amount of time can also lead to dawdling--a problem that has just started recently. Thus:

I may be changing to a combo system where there is a time set, but if a certain number of pages are done (well) earlier, then math can be considered done for day.

It also depends on what curricula you use. Some, like MM from what I've seen so far, are pretty consistent throughout in how difficult parts are likely to be. Others, like MUS, start very easy, but get hard toward ends of books, and what would be easy to get through as a number of pages early in year may take a long time toward the end.

In 2nd grade, I started with a timer. That had a down-side, in that some days he decided that he could just stare at his paper and do nothing for xx minutes and call it a day. (He can be kind of . . . stubborn).

Now we do a lesson per day. I watch for signs-- some days a guy is just tired enough to make forging ahead useless. Some day I just intuit that he didn't finish grasping it and we repeat it or do more work on it in some fashion before moving on. (I love LoF: Honey, where it flat out tells him after one chapter, "You have to EARN the right to move on here, by showing that you have mastered your times tables. Here are a few strategies to help you learn them. Now go, and don't come back until you have earned the right to move on." (I paraphrased somewhat, but that is the essence of it). It was nice to see someone else telling him what I tell him, in very direct language!

My DD is in 3rd, but we've followed the same pattern since 1st. We use Math-U-See, which is basically one lesson per week. I divide each lesson into 3 or 4 days and work until that day's assignment is done. This can take anywhere from 20-40 minutes, but if it ever took more than 40, we would stop and pick up the next day. It 1st grade, this was more like 15-25 minutes. On the other days, we use a variety of things and work on them for about 30 minutes.

It depends. We are using Primary Math (1A and 2B) and sometimes the exercises are 1 page and sometimes they are 4 pages or more! And sometimes it takes hours for my highly distracted 6yo to do simple problems... :willy_nilly:

So I usually just schedule 2 pages a day. For my jammer in 1A that takes 10-20 minutes a day, but for my dawdler in 2B it is probably 30 minutes or more (if i am constantly reminding him to stay on task).

For my dd is 2nd who uses MM, she usually does 1.5-2 pages which can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 1hr depending On her mood :/ I adjust daily. If I see it is very challenging and she needs more time with it we do less, breaking through, maybe add a page. I have thought about a timer, but I am fairly certain dd would just stare at it and get nothing accomplished...