Menu

Best online software for 2-year-old in Mommies lap?

shawthorne44

A few months ago my 2-year-old requested to get on the computer. She hopped in the computer chair and looked at me with that bright shining face. My husband wasn't home that evening so I was looking for something for just the two of us to do, so I showed her Starfall. She loved it. We only ever do it when she requests it, she calls it "A B C's". She is now 2 1/3. She sits in my lap and I run the mouse basically turning our regular monitor into a touch screen. The only puzzle of the free part of Starfall that she can't do is the memory card game. I am a bit ambivalent about her being on the computer, but at the moment I am OK as long as it is a mommy activity. She is fairly bored with Starfall right now. Although, she still wants to get on. I have considered paying the money, but it seems like it quickly sets into reading books and I rather we stay on the pre-reading level, since she is 2.

What online preschool games/learning activities wouold you guys recommend? I was looking at time4learning, but I am not sure. We just have a regular PC, no tablets in the house.

My advice is to invest in a mini portable laptop mouse. They are pretty cheap on amazon, I think I got our last one for about $8 inc. shipping, we needed a second the times they use laptops at the same time. Then get a velcro dot and stick it on the LEFT button. This saved my kids SO MUCH frustration! They can feel where to click, in the beginning I used a sticker and it did not work as well. The velcro dot sticks better, doesn't get worn off, and they can feel it better.

They also make oversized track ball mouses for kids that they can roll with their whole hand (these are very popular for kids with special needs from my understanding) and they do not require fine motor control. But I found the mini mouse allowed them to manipulate it much better and we skipped straight to that at about 2 years old.

Here's another vote for the full subscription of Starfall. We have totally gotten our money's worth out of it for our 2yo; and there are things on the subscription that are used by our 6yo, too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For the mouse, we have a "Tiny Mouse" for little hands.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the category of "not an online game," I recommend:

Reader Rabbit Playtime for Baby and Toddler

(Make sure you get a copy that is compatible with your computer software).

RR for Baby and Toddler is super for motor control and the toddler (or preschooler) understanding how to move the mouse and watch the screen.

An mouse, more starfall, pbskids.org, nickjr.com

Also if you have an iPad there are tons of free apps for preschool.

Don't worry about your child on the computer at that age. I allowed my son on it and now at six years old he only plays on it sometimes. I never limited his time. He can go days without touching it. He is very busy being an active little boy! LOL!

We used "More Starfall" with our 1yo.

It was more for Daddy than for the 1yo, because he would stay up late with her and let me go sleep. It gave him more things to share with her on a website that entranced her. It saved his sanity.

So maybe I should say......age 41. :laugh: