Menu

Anyone ever visit a nuclear power plant?

We're learning about nuclear energy in our physics study right now, and we have a couple of nuclear power plants within a relatively close drive, so I thought about visiting one. I looked at their websites, but there doesn't seem to be information about visiting them. I just wondered if it was not common for school groups or the general public to visit a nuclear power plant. I will try to call, but there is not even a general number for the plants, just numbers for directors and such.

Here's the one nearest to me.

In the post 9/11 world, it is pretty tough to get inside the fence at a nuke plant. Some have hands-on centers off site for visitors.
We visited the one in Port Saint Lucie, FL. It was really just a museum. We weren't anywhere near the reactors. But it was a cool museum.

That's all I really want. Can't seem to find that around here, though.

That's all I really want. Can't seem to find that around here, though.

The one nearest me does tours - hs and regular school groups are going there all the time. They have an educational center next to the plant, though I think you do get to go into at least part of the real plant (probably not anyplace sensitive).

Quite a few times. Dh works at a nuclear power plant. Our plant doesn't really do public tours, though they sometimes allow family members to view the simulator. The only plant I can think of that has a cool museum-like thing is in North Carolina.

Quite a few times. Dh works at a nuclear power plant. Our plant doesn't really do public tours, though they sometimes allow family members to view the simulator. The only plant I can think of that has a cool museum-like thing is in North Carolina.

I had to ponder this post for a bit to decide if you were serious. :) Now I can't get the theme song out of my head.

I toured Hanford with a class in college. But that was before 9/11, I've been told it is harder (but not impossible) to arrange tours now. I've also taken the kids to see some mothballed cooling towers at a reactor plant that never became operational; there's no museum or tours allowed, but those cooling towers are so gigantic that the kids were pretty impressed just by standing on the road next to them.