Menu

1st grade math

CountryGirlShake

We started off in first grade with Horizons and both kids really enjoyed it. It is colorful, and workbooky (which mine loved at that age) and spiral based. In any given lesson there is one focus topic and two or more review/practice topics. Every tenth lesson there is a short test. The TM is pretty important, containing additional material to cover daily that the workbook does not have in it, so you would need it. After first grade I ease the kids into Math Mammoth, which is much more conceptual (similar to Singapore). I prefer Math Mammoth's approach and plan to continue it through until 6th grade, but the first year was too much of a conceptual leap for both of mine, one of whom is very quick in math (or "Mathy").

We like RS, Miquon, MEP and Singapore Math.

What style are you looking for?

RightStart is very scripted. We really enjoy the variety of topics taught in a lesson, but some people feel it jumps around too much. It also uses a lot of manipulatives.

Miquon uses c-rods and can be difficult to get started (for the teacher), but if you take the time to understand and teach it, it offers a wonderful, solid base for math.

Many call MEP "puzzle math." There are lesson plans that go with it. It is less scripted than RS.

You have probably read threads about Singapore Math. We love it here. You do not need the HIG for the lower levels, but as your child advances, they are necessary for most people.

I recommend reading Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics by Liping Ma.

And, no matter what you choose, supplement with LOF!

Since no else mentioned it I'll bring Saxon into the discussion. We're using Saxon 1 with our ds2 in K and it's quick and easy. We review the script and then teach it with that in mind but also in our own words. Front and back of the worksheet every day takes only a few minutes. He enjoys the math facts quizes and asks us to time them. We have MM on the shelf and he will pick that up on his own most days and do a couple pages for fun. We'll sit with him and offer direction if needed. But again, 10 minutes at most. He seems to enjoy working with numbers and doesn't need anything flashy.