Menu

Why didn't anybody tell me how exhausting it was?

Maybe they did and I just didn't believe them. We officially started homeschooling (our first time) last Monday, but it was only Monday and Tuesday, as DH surprised me with a romantic trip to Crete. So, we started full swing this week. I have a 5th grader, a 3rd grader, a 1st grader and an almost 3 year old. It is SO exhausting. I honestly wasn't expecting to be this tired at the end of each day. Maybe part of it is getting back in the swing of getting up early (last year for school we had to get up at 5:45 am and this year we're getting up at 6:30), but man, I sure do just want to crawl in bed after dinner every night.

But, even with the exhaustion, we are loving it so far! We are having so much fun and everyone is doing great. I'm actually surprised at how well it's going.

Maybe they did and I just didn't believe them. We officially started homeschooling (our first time) last Monday, but it was only Monday and Tuesday, as DH surprised me with a romantic trip to Crete. So, we started full swing this week. I have a 5th grader, a 3rd grader, a 1st grader and an almost 3 year old. It is SO exhausting. I honestly wasn't expecting to be this tired at the end of each day. Maybe part of it is getting back in the swing of getting up early (last year for school we had to get up at 5:45 am and this year we're getting up at 6:30), but man, I sure do just want to crawl in bed after dinner every night.

But, even with the exhaustion, we are loving it so far! We are having so much fun and everyone is doing great. I'm actually surprised at how well it's going.

Yep, it takes a while to get in the swing of things. But, boy, I sure would love an unexpected interruption like going to Crete!

homeschooling is not for the faint of heart. The rewards are well worth while, however.

Remember to build in some time for yourself every day, if at all possible, so that you can recharge your batteries. I take a daily nap, if at all possible---really! :D It really helps me quite a bit; just 10-15 minutes a day can make all the difference in my afternoon.

Also, occasional field trips (you're in Italy---enjoy!) are what Debra Bell calls "boredom busters"; the kids won't suffer, either. They will still learn more than their peers are learning.

Enjoy!

something really snide like, "Oh gee, I'm really sorry you are so exhausted from that trip to Crete." lol. Just once in my life I would like to be able to say, "but DH surprised me with a trip to Crete, so...." But I guess since you are stationed in Naple, maybe going to Crete isn't such a big deal!

Anyway, yes, homeschooling is exhausting. And motherhood is exhausting. Having a 3 year old is exhausting even if you aren't homeschooling anyone else, and even if he's your only, and coming back from a vacation is always soooo exhausting. We go to and from the beach some during the summer, and I always find myself just really tired from the packing, unpacking, cleaning this, then cleaning that, then dumping the dirty laundry from the suitcase in the place that used to be clean but isn't clean anymore.

So just hang in there. You will get the hang of things. The thing about homeschooling is that it's a constant trade off. When I am teaching, I feel bad for neglecting the housework. If I knock off early to clean a bit, I feel guilty about that. If I want to cook a nice meal, I worry that I am putting food above academics. Sigh. I can feel guilty 24 hours a day in this job, and that alone is sort of tiring!

I'm glad it's going well! Welcome to homeschooling:)

It will get easier as you go. Just remember this feeling. You will have it again about the end of January when all you want to do is curl up in a corner with a book and a cup of tea. You will be tired all over again and want to quit. It will pass too. Then, near the end of the school year you won't be able to wait until it ends and summer vacation starts. Your brain will feel like it has already shut down for the year. It will pass too. It is all balanced with marvelously energizing times when everything seems fun and exciting and things are going just right. Homeschooling has a yearly cycle just like everything else.

Glad you are having a positive experience!

I take naps almost every day. Do you have a quiet time built into your afternoon so you could lay down for even 20 mins? People call it room time, since most send their kids to their rooms; the kids use the time for reading, listening to memory work on tape, resting, or doing handwork (and other things).

It gets easier. You'll get a routine in no time. And after a couple of months, you'll know what's working and what isn't. You'll fine tune. You'll work it out.

Anyone whose husband surprises her with romantic getaways to Crete has a good support system and is going to do FINE!

I can't imagine starting like that when you have several older ones! I know people do it all the time, but I feel so glad to be easing into it with a Kindergärtner. You are a brave lady.

I second the room time suggestion. We have it every day for an hour and a half or two hours. I rest or read or work on the computer and the kids listen to books on tape or rest or read.

Good luck!

Glad you are having a positive experience!

I take naps almost every day. Do you have a quiet time built into your afternoon so you could lay down for even 20 mins? People call it room time, since most send their kids to their rooms; the kids use the time for reading, listening to memory work on tape, resting, or doing handwork (and other things).

We called it QRT (Quiet Reading Time). We did this right after "lunch recess" (as it would be called in school). 30 minutes of quiet time for naps or reading, and by all means QUIET! :001_smile: During this time, you need to nap, do your nails---whatever RELAXES you. You are not allowed to do schoolwork or bills or anything that NEEDS to be done, only stuff that helps you relax! My kids grew to love this time. My younger two often fell asleep, and my oldest got his alone time that he needed. It helped rejuvenate all of us! We started this in playpens. Little ones CAN learn to play quietly for that time. It's good for them to learn they don't need you for everything constantly, and it's good for you to get rejuvenated, and be better able to face the rest of the day!

Sometimes when the phone rang and I needed to talk, or someone came to the door, I'd call out, "QRT!" and they'd run to their rooms and I could ahve that time for quiet and accomplishing what HAD to get done. Normally that's not what it was used for, but since my kids loved it, and things came up once in awhile, it worked well!

Thanks! I'm glad it's not just me. I haven't managed to build in any time to myself yet. I think sending my kids to their rooms would be more stressful than anything right now. They would spend the entire time fighting and my 3 year old wouldn't stay (she doesn't take regular naps). Plus there is just so much other stuff that needs to get done, lol. My 3 year old is used to having me all to herself all the time, so when we're done with school and we do have free time, she attaches herself to me.

We definitely plan on taking field trips. One of the reasons we started school early is because we plan on taking several vacations this year.

Oh, and the trip to Crete was wonderful, but not that big of a deal, lol (it was, but it was very easy to do and we can do it for very cheap any time we want). We hopped a FREE Mac flight there and back, paid next to nothing for a hotel and rental car (like $100 total for 2 day rental and 2 nights hotel), and we really only had 1 day there. Don't get me wrong, it was great, but being stationed in Italy, it was easy and something lots of people do.

Thanks for all of the great advice! I'm hoping we'll eventually find our groove and things will run more smoothly. But until then, we're having fun and that's what matters.

I want to encourage you with my words, not scare you, but I found that it really took a good year to iron out the kinks, get a good schedule going, etc. By year two I felt better, things really ran so much smoother, and life was easier. By year three I was heavily researching curriculum and was fairly confident in my decisions, using WTM to help along the way. It just gets easier with time.

I homeschooled for 8 years, took 2 years off, and am back at it again, homeschooling a junior part time next year, and two other, with one in PS. Worried? No. I choose denial. :001_smile: But seriously, every roadblock we've encountered we've worked out. And you will to. If your curriculum doesn't work as you wanted it to, try another. You'll do FINE.

Oh, and make sure you spend a good amount of time training the kids to help out around the house. This is ESSENTIAL. They can help with meals, cooking, cleaning, etc. YOU will need their help. And what they learn in the process, begrudgingly or not, will be used all their life.

Denise

Remember to build in some time for yourself every day, if at all possible, so that you can recharge your batteries. I take a daily nap, if at all possible---really! :D It really helps me quite a bit; just 10-15 minutes a day can make all the difference in my afternoon.

:iagree:

This is excellent advise. Find something that restores you, and build it into your daily routine. Otherwise you might end up suffering burnout - homeschooling's dirty little secret. I don't think prospective homeschoolers are fully warned about the risk of exhaustion. I never saw it mentioned in any book I ever read on the subject. Maybe SWB could add a "teacher's lounge" chapter to the next edition of TWTM. ;)

You'll do fine. I agree with the others... just try not to overdo it, relax, have fun, and make this a memorable time. There will be ups and downs, trust me. (LOL) Times you wonder what on earth am I doing this for? But it is very much worth the sacrifice!

-- Pat

Former K-6 Schoolteacher (15+ years)

Mom to a wonderful DS (13 yr old)

and awesome Hubby (21 yrs of marriage)

HS'er for 4 years

It does get better, but I will also say that there is a certain tired that I get from teaching that I don't get from other things. This is mostly from when I taught in the public schools, but I still feel it with my own on certain days. It is a mental tiredness.