Menu

Ds having surgery tomorrow

bettyandbob

This is my special needs kiddo. He's having his tonsils and adenoids removed. Please pray that it goes well. I tried to explain what we'd be doing and how he wouldn't be eating breakfast (no eating after midnight and surgery won't be until 1 so it will be long morning for a kid who likes food) I have no idea if what I talked about got through. I think he understood some.

Also, dh can't go and now I feel achy and cold and congested. I can't be sick tomorrow. I'd appreciate it, if you can fit in a prayer for me too.

If you can, keep him up until close to midnight and give him a snack then......and pray he sleeps in then.

If need be, leave for the hospital early and drive around so that you can help avoid some of the food/drink issues.

My BIGGEST helpful hint for this surgery (did this 4 times) is to keep AHEAD of the pain. Give the pain meds AS DIRECTED AROUND THE CLOCK. That means setting the clock for 1-2 times in the middle of the night to give the pain meds every 4-6 hours (or whatever the directions are). If you can keep the pain at bay and keep him drinking as much fluid as you can the recovery time is much easier.

This is my special needs kiddo. He's having his tonsils and adenoids removed. Please pray that it goes well. I tried to explain what we'd be doing and how he wouldn't be eating breakfast (no eating after midnight and surgery won't be until 1 so it will be long morning for a kid who likes food) I have no idea if what I talked about got through. I think he understood some.

Also, dh can't go and now I feel achy and cold and congested. I can't be sick tomorrow. I'd appreciate it, if you can fit in a prayer for me too.

Oh no. Praying for healing.

If you can, keep him up until close to midnight and give him a snack then......and pray he sleeps in then.

If need be, leave for the hospital early and drive around so that you can help avoid some of the food/drink issues.

My BIGGEST helpful hint for this surgery (did this 4 times) is to keep AHEAD of the pain. Give the pain meds AS DIRECTED AROUND THE CLOCK. That means setting the clock for 1-2 times in the middle of the night to give the pain meds every 4-6 hours (or whatever the directions are). If you can keep the pain at bay and keep him drinking as much fluid as you can the recovery time is much easier.

I feel dumb now. I had not even thought about the pain management after surgery. This child has very poor means to communicate. Thank you for reminding of this and staying ahead. That will be a big deal.

I feel dumb now. I had not even thought about the pain management after surgery. This child has very poor means to communicate. Thank you for reminding of this and staying ahead. That will be a big deal.

Don't feel that way. It's hard to think far ahead. When my ds had his wisdom teeth out, I went back to the room as he was waking up. I was surprised to see so much gauze in his mouth. I had oral surgery just a month before him and of course I had all of the same thing. I don't know why I didn't think he wouldn't be the same way. Thankfully recovery was quick. I hope your son does well for his surgery. 1:00 pm is a long time in a day!