Menu

Do you use Singapore's CWP on grade level or a year behind?

SFM

I have hear of many people using Singapore's CWP's a year behind their current curriculum grade level. My son is using Singapore Math Primary Mathematics (U.S. Edition) 3A/3B and we use the Intensive Practice books as well. Do you add in 2nd grade CWP or 3rd? Math isn't a "struggle" but he's not "mathy" just normal I suppose; he gets math and we move on. So, what do you do?

We use it a level behind. The practice problems would be okay on level for us, but the challenge problems are really tough - not because of the math, but because the number of steps is too much for my kids to keep track of. There are routinely three steps, which is a lot for some kids. If the math is easier, it helps them focus on the problem solving, not the mechanics of the math.

ETA: I don't think there's a right answer to this, by the way. Many people use them on level with "average" math students and many people use them a level behind on purpose. Just do whatever seems right for your ds.

We use the Standards edition and use CWP (old editions) on level.

I've worked the problems in advance of my son (starting with CWP 3), so I have a good feel for which will be tricky. There have been a few I've had to look up solutions to! (I solved the problem as a system of equations, but in 4th grade, that wouldn't have worked great :D).

We're in 5 now. We have fallen a bit behind and aren't caught up with where we are in the text in CWP, but I am considering it a good review.

My son took the Explore through Northwestern NUMATS (talent search) last year, so I started letting him use a calculator for many of the problems in CWP so he'd gain familiarity. He also has to be sure to show EVERY step written out when he uses a calculator.

I'd suggest trying CWP 3 on level, but if your child struggles too much, drop back to 2.

The bar models are really really cool and I see how they do such a neat transition to algebra.

Just thought I'd throw out that I have a mathy kid who detests CWP, so though I've bought two now (ever hopeful!) they don't get done at. all. I think that whether you use CWP on level may have something to do with the child's receptivity to those particular types of questions. Button is years ahead of his age in maths, and keeps scooting along the math programs we work in, but he really drags with CWP problems because he hates them -- and/or he hates them because that particular way of thinking doesn't come easily to him.

Perhaps it's genetic; I hate them too. But it's not my fault he didn't cotton on -- he loves to do lots of stuff I detest! :)

We did use it a year behind for a couple of years, but it caused problems for us in level 3. The workbook was introducing problems to be solved using bar diagrams, but the thorough explanation of bar diagram was in CWP (unless I was missing something). We had a lot of difficulty solving the more complex word problems without the explanations in the CWP book.

I've usually used them a little bit behind. Right now, we use CWP5 about a semester behind (we're in 5B), but we're getting close to completing the first half, so we may end up on-level sometime in the near future. I'll probably try to finish a unit before doing the same unit in CWP once we do catch up to where we are.

We use it a level behind. The practice problems would be okay on level for us, but the challenge problems are really tough - not because of the math, but because the number of steps is too much for my kids to keep track of. There are routinely three steps, which is a lot for some kids. If the math is easier, it helps them focus on the problem solving, not the mechanics of the math.

ETA: I don't think there's a right answer to this, by the way. Many people use them on level with "average" math students and many people use them a level behind on purpose. Just do whatever seems right for your ds.

This. Especially because she is "ahead."

I agree.

We use them about a half-year behind, but then work through the entire CWP in one huge swoop. For example: after finishing 2A, we pause and work through all of CWP 1 before moving on to 2B. After finishing 3A, we pause and work through all of CWP 2 before moving on to 3B. You get the idea. My kids are working ahead of grade level, so it is the complexity and number of steps of CWP that can be overwhelming to them. By doing CWP a level behind, the regular problems are fairly easy and the challenging problems are challenging yet possible.

I think it depends what you're using them for. Many people use the CWP's to add review, so it makes sense to do them 1-2 semesters behind for that purpose. With my kids, I'm using them to up the challenge level so they do the topic in CWP after finishing the chapter in the textbook (they aren't using the wb).

We've been using them as a supplement to other math, and we are about a semester behind. In part this is because we work on them irregularly. It is a nice break from what we usually do, but only for the first 6 or so problems. We are further complicated in that my ds is more "mathy" than dd.

If your ds does ok and you want to add them in, buy them for the level you are at and give it a go. You could (in theory) always back up. If you aren't so sure, but still want to add them, buy for the level below and see how that goes. You have two more coming along who could pick them up when they get there if he doesn't finish, right? :D