Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

I made the mistake of popping into one of the other social groups. I had no idea they could be used that way (in the sense of being allowed on this forum), nor that there were people here who would use them that way. I'm glad this one is different.

Curiosity killed the cat. :svengo: I thought that group was all about tolerance??

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know which group you are talking about, but I will not venture to any of the other threads. I need to be in a supportive environment right now and not be defending my very existence in the church.

:grouphug:

Don't go looking is a good idea.

I read the whole thing . I just have a really hard time with the go to scandal stuff and the " maybe the church will finally wake up and change to the modern thought." Um...morality does not change with democratic consensus. To think God would change to our pitiful thought of moral behavior is laughable to me.

Just wanted to clarify because I think I might have been the only one in that thread to say anything along the lines of "Maybe the church will finally wake up . . ." and I totally DO NOT THINK THAT but was noting that most in journalism do and might have that as their unspoken (or spoken!) thought in calling for a "post-Vatican II" pope. Was that not clear? Or was there another post?

I felt sick for the first several posts but I asked for the scandal talk to stop and it seemed like that was totally respected. It mostly turned into an inquiring kind of thread, as far as I can tell.

I don't usually hang out on this thread. So, hi! :)

Just wanted to clarify because I think I might have been the only one in that thread to say anything along the lines of "Maybe the church will finally wake up . . ." and I totally DO NOT THINK THAT but was noting that most in journalism do and might have that as their unspoken (or spoken!) thought in calling for a "post-Vatican II" pope. Was that not clear? Or was there another post?

I felt sick for the first several posts but I asked for the scandal talk to stop and it seemed like that was totally respected. It mostly turned into an inquiring kind of thread, as far as I can tell.

I don't usually hang out on this thread. So, hi! :)

No, not at all. It's more the prevailing attitude of so much I've seen already in the news, on my FB feed, and in that thread, and it's barely 10 am my time.

I am a very traditional (but not TLM) Catholic who wants a Pope who is conservative, faithful to God's laws, and not wanting the church to change to bend to modern society.

As my friend Angela said upon being diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer on Easter 2 years ago, "Jesus still rose, and so we will trust".

We're good. :)

Howdy! Come hang out. There's room here for every kind of Catholic, and non-Catholics too.

Is it too soon for the horse-racing? My money is on Angelo Sodano.

Every kind of Catholic . . . I think I'm pretty normal :) Dh is a theology professor at a seminary. We are totally orthodox though not of the ultra-conservative, Tridentine Mass only variety.

Dh's bet is Marc Ouellet. I trust the Holy Spirit and won't whine if he's chosen. But I've met Ouellet. And I hope the Holy Spirit has other ideas. Nothing wrong with the guy, just, I don't know.

Last time around dh couldn't stop reading about all the speculation and a priest told him (in Confession, I think!), "Pretty soon they're going to pick a pope . . .and they aren't going to ask your opinion." True, true. But the horse-betting is still fun.

No, not at all. It's more the prevailing attitude of so much I've seen already in the news, on my FB feed, and in that thread, and it's barely 10 am my time.

I am a very traditional (but not TLM) Catholic who wants a Pope who is conservative, faithful to God's laws, and not wanting the church to change to bend to modern society.

As my friend Angela said upon being diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer on Easter 2 years ago, "Jesus still rose, and so we will trust".

We're good. :)

Phew, between that and Violet Crown saying, "There's room for every kind of Catholic" I was starting to worry that I'd grossly misrepresented myself. I guess my Catholic defenses are on high alert today, too.

I'm off Facebook and don't read the news so I can keep it all pretty academic by hanging out here :)

Before I clicked on the other thread, I already suspected that there would be some bashing going on, but I was surprised at the number of supportive responses there were. I did bite my tongue a couple of times to keep from responding to one poster who annoyed me. I didn't want to say anything offensive, just, "Why are you so invested in this topic? You aren't even Catholic. Why is this so important to you?" But I know that that could lead to ugliness. Forgive me if I'm just being mean.

Phew, between that and Violet Crown saying, "There's room for every kind of Catholic" I was starting to worry that I'd grossly misrepresented myself. I guess my Catholic defenses are on high alert today, too.

I'm off Facebook and don't read the news so I can keep it all pretty academic by hanging out here :)

Mine are as well, even in my own family. My BIL is celebrating that maybe the dying church will have a chance now that the old man is gone. SIGH

Oh, I just went back through the B16 thread and saw all the likes on the scandal posts. Blech.

I have to say that, on the whole, this crowd (I mean the wider board since I don't know yet who really hangs out on this thread) seems pretty fair in threads of general interest. I see much less fighting here than I have other places.

I hope the Holy Father doesn't read the paper.

Before I clicked on the other thread, I already suspected that there would be some bashing going on, but I was surprised at the number of supportive responses there were. I did bite my tongue a couple of times to keep from responding to one poster who annoyed me. I didn't want to say anything offensive, just, "Why are you so invested in this topic? You aren't even Catholic. Why is this so important to you?" But I know that that could lead to ugliness. Forgive me if I'm just being mean.

There are many supportive people around. There are many people who are ignorant of Catholic thought and faith ( but willing to learn), and there are those who are virulently against anything Catholic and all shades in between. I learned my job online is to figure out which person I'm talking to and decide from there if I post or not. Most times it's "or not" lately.

Not mean.

I'm on my first cuppa joe, with three very sick kiddos over here - I had some very "not so nice" thoughts to some of the responses (but I kept them as thoughts... and maybe later I'll ask forgiveness for those thoughts... maybe... lol).

Well, there is one more person praying for B16 that wasnt yesterday...dh took his rosary with him to work. I taught him the Hail Mary. To think when we got married he was totally anti-everything except the cultish church he grew up in. The Lord has softened his heart regarding all Christians esp. Catholics :)

Aaaaa! Didn't mean to cause worry. Just meant that this seems to be a very open-hearted thread/ social group: tolerant in the best sense.

Btw, note the correction to my post - Scola not Sodano.

Well, there is one more person praying for B16 that wasnt yesterday...dh took his rosary with him to work. I taught him the Hail Mary. To think when we got married he was totally anti-everything except the cultish church he grew up in. The Lord has softened his heart regarding all Christians esp. Catholics :)

Wow, wow, wow!! Praise the Lord!!!!

Aaaaa! Didn't mean to cause worry. Just meant that this seems to be a very open-hearted thread/ social group: tolerant in the best sense.

Btw, note the correction to my post - Scola not Sodano.

I figured you must have meant Scola. Those Italian names are all the same . . . :)

I'm looking over the papabile and then I need to go. So. Hard. To. Tear. Myself. Away.

I think it is highly unlikely but it just makes me grin whenever Dolan is mentioned. Can you imagine? I said in the other thread, I'm not sure it would be great for the worldwide church to have an American at the helm. But, still.

I figured you must have meant Scola. Those Italian names are all the same . . . :)

I'm looking over the papabile and then I need to go. So. Hard. To. Tear. Myself. Away.

I think it is highly unlikely but it just makes me grin whenever Dolan is mentioned. Can you imagine? I said in the other thread, I'm not sure it would be great for the worldwide church to have an American at the helm. But, still.

I really really really like Dolan. However, the world is not ready for an American Pope.

There are many supportive people around. There are many people who are ignorant of Catholic thought and faith ( but willing to learn), and there are those who are virulently against anything Catholic and all shades in between. I learned my job online is to figure out which person I'm talking to and decide from there if I post or not. Most times it's "or not" lately.

And, let's not forget there are some who've been irrevocably changed by the abuses of the Church in our lifetime. Doesn't matter that "others have their scandals." We need to be aware that some people's "likes" on a particular issue and general anger are quite normal, given the circumstances. I pray for their healing, and don't begrudge them their opinions.

Girls, I hope you don't mind that I pop in here and read occasionally. I'm a Lutheran, but that thread kind of died out (and I've posted on a couple others but don't fit terribly well), and I find it interesting coming to read about the Catholic faith. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to say I'm thinking of all of you and the Catholic Church today with the announcement. Remember that all things work together for the good of those who follow Him. :)

And, let's not forget there are some who've been irrevocably changed by the abuses of the Church in our lifetime. Doesn't matter that "others have their scandals." We need to be aware that some people's "likes" on a particular issue and general anger are quite normal, given the circumstances. I pray for their healing, and don't begrudge them their opinions.

edited. It just didn't come out right. Yes, of course I am and have been praying for them, and I realize that some people's hatred comes from a point of pain.

Not mean.

I'm on my first cuppa joe, with three very sick kiddos over here - I had some very "not so nice" thoughts to some of the responses (but I kept them as thoughts... and maybe later I'll ask forgiveness for those thoughts... maybe... lol).

You are not alone.

Thank you for reminding me of this. I will also be praying for their healing.

Girls, I hope you don't mind that I pop in here and read occasionally. I'm a Lutheran, but that thread kind of died out (and I've posted on a couple others but don't fit terribly well), and I find it interesting coming to read about the Catholic faith. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to say I'm thinking of all of you and the Catholic Church today with the announcement. Remember that all things work together for the good of those who follow Him. :)

Speaking of them Lutherans... I went to a Lutheran school for a few years as a child because my parents didn't know there was a local Catholic school down the street :p

(no, seriously, you're awesome and thank you for your kind words regarding the announcement; I can't imagine anyone on this thread having an issue with you being here - it's a pretty awesome and open bunch. I should know, lol)

Speaking of them Lutherans... I went to a Lutheran school for a few years as a child because my parents didn't know there was a local Catholic school down the street :p

(no, seriously, you're awesome and thank you for your kind words regarding the announcement; I can't imagine anyone on this thread having an issue with you being here - it's a pretty awesome and open bunch. I should know, lol)

We are one body, one body in Christ, and we do not stand alone! :)

I need some technical help and tried searching but I think I need to open it up to an answer quickly. How do I block people? My psyche needs to not see some stuff.

Hugs!!! I went to a thread I didn't think would have some nastiness in it and was shocked. I understand. I don't know how to block. I'm new.

Leaving what I said but editing: I was actually referring to a few FB threads I saw and got confused with where I saw it. Sorry!! :(

Go to your name at the top right and click so the drop down menu shows. Click on Manage Ignore Prefs then follow instructions from there.

Thanks. I was looking on individual pages and couldn't find anything.

On another note - How's the daily Rosary going? I have one day of success, one day of falling asleep in the middle of it, and today I've started it but haven't finished yet. I can't wait to say it until I get in bed because I'm too tired. As much as I like the Angels finishing it for me I probably shouldn't leave it to them everynight.

On another note - How's the daily Rosary going? I have one day of success, one day of falling asleep in the middle of it, and today I've started it but haven't finished yet. I can't wait to say it until I get in bed because I'm too tired. As much as I like the Angels finishing it for me I probably shouldn't leave it to them every night.

At this point it's not but I'm going to make a concerted effort as of Wednesday

Thanks for the heads up about the other threads talking about the Pope. I won't be reading them no matter how curious I am. Not good for the soul. I respect him a great deal, love his books and how he discusses theology of the bible. Surprised by the announcement but understand his decision. Will continue to read his books and perhaps he'll write a few in retirement - the modern day Thomas Merton.

I'm hit and miss right now with the rosary. I really need to be a bit better with my discipline as I know it is so good for me spiritually, emotionally, and mentally.

We finally decided what we are doing as individuals and a family for Lent this year. We do something different each week as a family, so this year we have 2 weeks of no media (not in a row), two weeks of no snacking, and two weeks of no sweets. In addition, we are adding in two weeks of daily Mass, two weeks of extra Bible reading as a family, and two weeks of committed rosary praying as a family. We also are going to pick six Bible verses to memorize as a family over the course of Lent. (Dh and I both come from the non-denominational side of things and find memorized Scripture is very beneficial - not just for apologetics, though I feel we should know where certain things are if in conversations, for instance, about the Eucharist - but just for personal growth/comfort/strength.) I'm not sure yet what we'll pick; dh and I need to decide today. Oh, and I need to meal plan for Lent so I know what I'm doing each Friday. ;)

I have not weighed in on Pope Benedict; I was quite taken aback when I signed online this morning and saw the headline. We were just discussing last week in Bible study how he was seen as an interim pope. I wasn't sure about him when he was elected (I was not yet Catholic either), but I have really grown to really like him. His writing is fantastic - so full of information but also very accessible. We will be praying for him and the College of Cardinals. I told dh that even if it is one of our no-media weeks, when the conclave is called, we will be watching. :)

Funny story that I think y'all will appreciate. For years I've been saying the Rosary off and on with some regularity. I'll get in the habit and say it everynight for a few weeks then I'll get out of the habit and so on. It's always the same Rosary too. It's the Rosary that was my grandfather's and then my grandfather gave it to me when I was eight and I'm now 31. So even with semi-regular Rosary praying it's gotten some use. My commitment to saying the Rosary convinced me to print off a Rosary guide to make sure I'm saying it correctly (I wasn't) and follow the guide when I pray.

Just last night I noticed that the fifth decade of my Rosary only has seven beads. What? Where are my other beads? It doesn't look like it was ever damaged or beads have fallen off - there's just seven beads instead of ten. Why have I never noticed that before? Did my grandfather know it? Did he say that Rosary for years and years and years also and not realize it?!?!

I'm hit and miss right now with the rosary. I really need to be a bit better with my discipline as I know it is so good for me spiritually, emotionally, and mentally.

We finally decided what we are doing as individuals and a family for Lent this year. We do something different each week as a family, so this year we have 2 weeks of no media (not in a row), two weeks of no snacking, and two weeks of no sweets. In addition, we are adding in two weeks of daily Mass, two weeks of extra Bible reading as a family, and two weeks of committed rosary praying as a family. We also are going to pick six Bible verses to memorize as a family over the course of Lent. (Dh and I both come from the non-denominational side of things and find memorized Scripture is very beneficial - not just for apologetics, though I feel we should know where certain things are if in conversations, for instance, about the Eucharist - but just for personal growth/comfort/strength.) I'm not sure yet what we'll pick; dh and I need to decide today. Oh, and I need to meal plan for Lent so I know what I'm doing each Friday. ;)

I have not weighed in on Pope Benedict; I was quite taken aback when I signed online this morning and saw the headline. We were just discussing last week in Bible study how he was seen as an interim pope. I wasn't sure about him when he was elected (I was not yet Catholic either), but I have really grown to really like him. His writing is fantastic - so full of information but also very accessible. We will be praying for him and the College of Cardinals. I told dh that even if it is one of our no-media weeks, when the conclave is called, we will be watching. :)

Daily Mass. God bless you woman. I can barely manage Sundays with the two littles in tow. Please tell me your secrets!!!

Daily Mass. God bless you woman. I can barely manage Sundays with the two littles in tow. Please tell me your secrets!!!

Well, first of all, I only have one little who likes to curl up on dh's shoulder for most of Mass. Sometimes she'll sit in the pew like her big brothers and sometimes she'll take as many offering envelopes out as possible. :lol: The boys all do well, but again, the youngest is 6 1/2 (he was not quite 5 1/2 when we first started attending Mass). They all have their moments (the boys), but we talk about what we expect and we try to keep them separated. And the biggest thing is what I thought was crazy talk when people told me: we sit in the very front. The boys actually like to sit as close to the front as possible (usually the first or second row, right in the middle). It helps them see what is happening and I think also helps them behave a bit because they know our priest can see them. ;) But really, I think it all boils down to only one little one. :)

Well, first of all, I only have one little who likes to curl up on dh's shoulder for most of Mass. Sometimes she'll sit in the pew like her big brothers and sometimes she'll take as many offering envelopes out as possible. :lol: The boys all do well, but again, the youngest is 6 1/2 (he was not quite 5 1/2 when we first started attending Mass). They all have their moments (the boys), but we talk about what we expect and we try to keep them separated. And the biggest thing is what I thought was crazy talk when people told me: we sit in the very front. The boys actually like to sit as close to the front as possible (usually the first or second row, right in the middle). It helps them see what is happening and I think also helps them behave a bit because they know our priest can see them. ;) But really, I think it all boils down to only one little one. :)

We have great luck with sitting in the front row also. When I had a little I used to tell her things to look for so she'd have her own mini-scavenger hunt going on to keep busy. The only problem I've had with sitting in the front row was when my 5 yo niece was with us and dropped her entire box of markers and they all rolled towards the alter. The deacon picked a few up for me. I know God was there and why he didn't just take me with him right then and there to save me the embarassment of that situation I'll never know.

The infant (here) isn't the issue. The "issue" would be the very happy 3 year old who wants to yell "hi! what are you doing?" to everyone... including the priest... but not excluding the alter servers... or anyone else he sees (read: everyone).

Lol. We spend most of Mass in the cry room... but for the 3 year old, not the crying baby.

We have great luck with sitting in the front row also. When I had a little I used to tell her things to look for so she'd have her own mini-scavenger hunt going on to keep busy. The only problem I've had with sitting in the front row was when my 5 yo niece was with us and dropped her entire box of markers and they all rolled towards the alter. The deacon picked a few up for me. I know God was there and why he didn't just take me with him right then and there to save me the embarassment of that situation I'll never know.

I think I remember you tell that story a while back. Oh, I would have turned beet red and hidden under the pew for the rest of the Mass. :lol: I can say our front pews have the little "wall" fake-back of a pew in front of us, so when things drop, as long as they were not "accidentally" dropped over the front, cannot go rolling past our feet.

I think I remember you tell that story a while back. Oh, I would have turned beet red and hidden under the pew for the rest of the Mass. :lol: I can say our front pews have the little "wall" fake-back of a pew in front of us, so when things drop, as long as they were not "accidentally" dropped over the front, cannot go rolling past our feet.

Yeah. I've told it a few times. It's my most embarassing Mass story. I keep hoping that one of these days I'll be able to laugh about it ...

I guess that's not true because there was the time DD was 5 and went to the bathroom by herself and managed to walk THROUGH the baptismal font at the back of the church on her way back to me. When she got back to the pew she was soaking wet from the knees down. That was pretty embarassing too.

Hi!

I'm lurking here and learning. :)

Praying for you all since this does seem like unexpected upheaval.

Welcome and hello. Feel free to ask if you have questions.

It really wouldn't be much different if he were to die suddenly. But the whole resigning thing hasn't been done in centuries so it is new.

We are living through tomorrow's history. It is comforting to know there will be continuity. At the same time there is sadness in seeing Benedict leave. And yet excitement that he will be able to end his days as he wishes.