Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

Just listened to the testimony of a former Baptist (Tim Staples) that converted to RC. Wow. We wake up listening to Relevant Radio and I listen to it throughout the day. I am inspired by this man urging to share your faith, not be afraid to tell people you are exploring the ancient faith. We have finally told all our friends. We didnt experience anything negative. In fact, one more couple is willing to go to church with us this Sunday. The husband was raised Catholic but stopped believing in God along the way, he did marry a Christian and he became a believer again. I pray I we have planted the seeds for them.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What advice would you give me about this situation? I am Godmother to all of my SIL's kids - all boys 16, 12, and 9. Their mother is Catholic and their father is atheist and actually pretty vocal about his hatred of religion. They are divorced.

The 16 year old, who always had a faith in God, is now vocally acting just like his Dad and says that he hates religion, it was forced upon him, and he no longer believes. He refuses to go to church. Obviously my SIL cannot strong arm him to go to Mass. My heart is breaking for the situation and SIL says we can say what we want to him to try to reach him, but I'm at a loss. If he's that angry, what can I say to break through that? As his Godmother, it's my responsibility and was my promise to help to raise him in the faith and be there for him. I just don't know how I can be there for him now.

Has anyone had this situation? Ignoring it makes it easier and easier for him to not even try to find out why he feels this way. He hates life in general right now too. He says the divorce ruined his entire life and nothing will be the same.

Any advice would be appreciated.

What advice would you give me about this situation? I am Godmother to all of my SIL's kids - all boys 16, 12, and 9. Their mother is Catholic and their father is atheist and actually pretty vocal about his hatred of religion. They are divorced.

The 16 year old, who always had a faith in God, is now vocally acting just like his Dad and says that he hates religion, it was forced upon him, and he no longer believes. He refuses to go to church. Obviously my SIL cannot strong arm him to go to Mass. My heart is breaking for the situation and SIL says we can say what we want to him to try to reach him, but I'm at a loss. If he's that angry, what can I say to break through that? As his Godmother, it's my responsibility and was my promise to help to raise him in the faith and be there for him. I just don't know how I can be there for him now.

Has anyone had this situation? Ignoring it makes it easier and easier for him to not even try to find out why he feels this way. He hates life in general right now too. He says the divorce ruined his entire life and nothing will be the same.

Honestly, I'd start making noise at your SIL to get him into counseling.

Then pray to St. Monica and St. Joseph.

Honestly, I'd start making noise at your SIL to get him into counseling.

Then pray to St. Monica and St. Joseph.

OOO - St. Monica is good!! She is not ready for the counseling yet, but it has been brought up. We are praying for him every night as a family.

Sexagesima

Not half so exciting as its name might suggest, today gets its name by being the sixtieth - by which we mean, fifty-sixth - day before Easter. Now eclipsed ecclesiastically by the Vatican II elimination of Pre-Lent; nationally, by the First-Class Feast of Super Bowl Sunday; and locally by the Octave of Mardi Gras; Sexagesima Sunday is now just a half-forgotten reminder of the approaching Lent.

Did anyone get their throats blessed today?

Sexagesima

Not half so exciting as its name might suggest, today gets its name by being the sixtieth - by which we mean, fifty-sixth - day before Easter. Now eclipsed ecclesiastically by the Vatican II elimination of Pre-Lent; nationally, by the First-Class Feast of Super Bowl Sunday; and locally by the Octave of Mardi Gras; Sexagesima Sunday is now just a half-forgotten reminder of the approaching Lent.

Dh and dd did. I haven't been to Mass since the second Sunday of Advent.

Our pastor started Mass by letting us know that if it had not been Sunday, we would have been celebrating the feast of St. Blaise at Mass today. Later, he gave everyone a blessing to protect us fro diseases of the throat invoking St. Blaise. The individual blessings with the candles is being done tomorrow morning at Mass.

I can't believe they used to have the candles lit during those throat blessing. Now that is an exciting blessing!

Susan - :grouphug:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a book about St. Therese's "little way" for kids/families? I want to really help the boys understand the idea of small everyday sacrifices, especially when it comes to ds11 doing anything for his younger brothers.

I might just read some selections from Therese's Story of a Soul itself. Her writing is so approachable that I don't think it needs translated. I think there is something inspiring about just hearing a saint talk int their own words, especially for kids.

Hi there! I've been lurking for a couple of months and finally have the courage to ask a question. When I was younger, my mom would make the sign of the cross every time we'd pass a church. We lived in a predominantly Catholic area, so much so that I thought everyone in our town was Catholic until I was in high school. I am just wondering if this is still done, and if its only done when passing Catholic Churches or all churches. Just to quickly introduce myself, I was born and raised Catholic, but due to my parents' lapse in attendance and perhaps faith, though they've never come out and said so, I lost my way. I married an atheist and have raised my children with knowledge of Christianity, but non practicing for the most part. A couple of years ago, I felt led back to the Church and began attending with my children, but we stopped and never got back into going. I would love to return to the church. I am taking baby steps back, with the support of my children and husband. I pray that he will have a change of heart and join us one day.

Sexagesima

We did right at the end of Mass. I was hoping it would extend to rashes on the neck in the area of the throat (it seems I am allergic to my miraculous medal and chain as I have a nasty contact dermatitis rash right now :( ).

One likes to see Catholics on fire for the Lord.

:lol: :lol:

Our archdiocese could use a lot of prayer. I'm not sure how much has made national news as I try to stay away from news as a general rule. But our former Cardinal has been relieved of all administrative and public duties (and his vicar at the time, and up until a couple days ago the bishop for one of our diocese within the archdiocese, put in his resignation) for covering up abuse. Or current Archbishop wrote a letter to be read at all weekend Masses this weekend. There is a great, great need for God's mercy and headlining right now.

He needs his Godmother more than he needs religious instruction right now. I would be respectful of his feelings, but make it clear that you feel differently. Just agree to disagree. I imagine the divorce may have ruined his life for now. The trick is to get him to see that it is "for now" and not forever. And to just be there for him. "Hey, I have time Sunday after Church. Want to catch a movie in the early afternoon?" Things like that... Or if you can't be there in person, call or text him, just to check in. We forget as adults how much influence we can have. You obviously care. Let him know that. When he's in a better frame of mind, you can have discussions about religion. :)

JMHO

He needs his Godmother more than he needs religious instruction right now. I would be respectful of his feelings, but make it clear that you feel differently. Just agree to disagree. I imagine the divorce may have ruined his life for now. The trick is to get him to see that it is "for now" and not forever. And to just be there for him. "Hey, I have time Sunday after Church. Want to catch a movie in the early afternoon?" Things like that... Or if you can't be there in person, call or text him, just to check in. We forget as adults how much influence we can have. You obviously care. Let him know that. When he's in a better frame of mind, you can have discussions about religion. :)

JMHO

Nono, thank you. Your comment made me cry. Yes, I want to be there for him, but I guess I just wanted to be prepared as to what I might say. I'm not counting on the Holy Spirit then, who promises the words will be there when the time is right!!

I am seeing him tonight for Super Bowl and Puppy Bowl. He knows we are always there for him, we tell him/ show him all the time we can.

Love, not apologetics, eh? :)

Hi there! I've been lurking for a couple of months and finally have the courage to ask a question. When I was younger, my mom would make the sign of the cross every time we'd pass a church. We lived in a predominantly Catholic area, so much so that I thought everyone in our town was Catholic until I was in high school. I am just wondering if this is still done, and if its only done when passing Catholic Churches or all churches. Just to quickly introduce myself, I was born and raised Catholic, but due to my parents' lapse in attendance and perhaps faith, though they've never come out and said so, I lost my way. I married an atheist and have raised my children with knowledge of Christianity, but non practicing for the most part. A couple of years ago, I felt led back to the Church and began attending with my children, but we stopped and never got back into going. I would love to return to the church. I am taking baby steps back, with the support of my children and husband. I pray that he will have a change of heart and join us one day.

Welcome!!!

Sexagesima

Ayup. I did. Fr A blessed much faster than Fr B or the Deacon. It was almost warp speed. But it was nice to have a good ol' fashioned Medieval blessing.

I thought the Super Bowl was an extraordinary HDO. ;)

We do this as we pass a Catholic church here, too, because Jesus is truly present there in the Holy Eucharist. :)

I'll pray that you and your family come fully into the Church one day soon!

Yes, we do Jesus is present and crossing oneself is a short prayer.

Also many Catholics cross themselves when passing a cemetary in prayer for the souls faithfully departed.

Thank you for the welcome. I thought that (Jesus's presence) was the reason, but I couldn't be sure. Despite attending Catholic school for nine years, there are still some things I'm learning as I ease my way back. Please be patient if I have any questions.

Welcome! And if they can be patient with Moi, who was a complete PITA, you'll be fine, no worries!

Thank you for the welcome. I thought that (Jesus's presence) was the reason, but I couldn't be sure. Despite attending Catholic school for nine years, there are still some things I'm learning as I ease my way back. Please be patient if I have any questions.

Ask away!

I need some advice. My Godson's parents (friends of ours) have asked if I would homeschool him. He is currently 2 years old. I would make them wait until he is 4. It is legal for me to homeschool children from one other family. I am torn. My brain tells me it is a bad idea as his father has a hard time accepting boundaries and I could see how he would quickly start taking advantage of my rules. I think even with hard and fast boundaries (I choose curriculum, you agree to my fee, drop-off and pick up times, etc...) that he would try and take advantage. It's just how he is. However, here is my dilemma: I kow his parents are not educating him in the faith. They are not going to church, except for maybe Christmas and Easter. I doubt they even own a children's bible. There are no religious icons in their home, no saint's stories, no candles, no religion. So while he has been baptized, nothing else has been done to further his faith. He is only 2, so I haven't done or said much, but since I am his Godmother, I feel like it's my responsibility to teach him the faith, which I would do if he were my student.

If it matters, he lives about half an hour away and I don't see him often.He is a very sweet, laid back little boy, but he is a 2 year old boy and full of energy. By the time I would add him, my kids would be in 1st and 3rd.

You were not a total PITA.

Ha! Now you have to go to confession for lying your pants off. :tongue_smilie:

I need some advice. My Godson's parents (friends of ours) have asked if I would homeschool him. He is currently 2 years old. I would make them wait until he is 4. It is legal for me to homeschool children from one other family. I am torn. My brain tells me it is a bad idea as his father has a hard time accepting boundaries and I could see how he would quickly start taking advantage of my rules. I think even with hard and fast boundaries (I choose curriculum, you agree to my fee, drop-off and pick up times, etc...) that he would try and take advantage. It's just how he is. However, here is my dilemma: I kow his parents are not educating him in the faith. They are not going to church, except for maybe Christmas and Easter. I doubt they even own a children's bible. There are no religious icons in their home, no saint's stories, no candles, no religion. So while he has been baptized, nothing else has been done to further his faith. He is only 2, so I haven't done or said much, but since I am his Godmother, I feel like it's my responsibility to teach him the faith, which I would do if he were my student.

If it matters, he lives about half an hour away and I don't see him often.He is a very sweet, laid back little boy, but he is a 2 year old boy and full of energy. By the time I would add him, my kids would be in 1st and 3rd.

Here's the problem always inherent in these requests.

WHo is to blame if the parent gets pissed and thinks teacher is doing a horrible job? You. A Big, Ole, YOU. Just know that it may blow up in you face. I'd make them sign a waiver or something, and I'd have a scope and sequence that they'd have to sign off on.

The other thing is that this will be time away from your family. From your children. I'm not saying that is wrong, I'm not saying it's not doable, but you have to be honest with yourself in this.

The next thing I'd do is make a stack of books that were mandatory reading for the parents. Then have them over for discussions and general are you sure this is what you are signing up for.

:grouphug:

See my head is waving red flags left and right and telling me not to do this. My heart and conscious are telling me maybe I should, for his sake. Maybe if I could get them to read some homeschooling books, they'd be willing to do it themselves.

Any suggestions on what books to recommend? I think the 6 volume CM set would be good, but might be intimidating.

See my head is waving red flags left and right and telling me not to do this. My heart and conscious are telling me maybe I should, for his sake. Maybe if I could get them to read some homeschooling books, they'd be willing to do it themselves.

No no no. God gave you a head to use! If you have seeing red flags... Dear Lord, woman! (For Perfect People reading along, that's a prayer, not using the Lord's name in vain.) Don't put yourself in a position you may regret and may ruin your relationship with your Godson and his family.

Your heart and conscience don't know their arse from a hole in the ground on this one.

Just sayin'. :tongue_smilie: Good luck deciding!

Any suggestions on what books to recommend? I think the 6 volume CM set would be good, but might be intimidating.

Something like, When Children Love to Learn, What your Kindergartner Needs to Know, Charlotte Mason Education, Dumbing us Down.

Empower them to think they could do this themselves.

OHHH I know!

Catholic Education, Homeward Bound, by Kimberly Hahn.

Doing something primarily out of guilt or fear - especially when your reason tells you it is a bad idea - usually turns out poorly for me. I completely understand that sense of moral obligation you are feeling, but making big decision on that alone, with no accompanying inner peace, is often a recipe for disaster.

It doesn't seem like anything needs to be decided now, though. At least for two years. (And I wouldn't start homeschooling another child at four unless it was just for an hour a day. Otherwise , it is just providing childcare.) You can give them some books to read, pray about it, get a better sense of each other's expectations, etc. Overall, I think it sounds like a bad idea, but you could give it a little time. More than likely, it will just become more clear to you how unsuccessful the arrangement would be for both families, allowing you not feel guilty about deciding getting involved.

Can I hide here and just reread this thread? I'm usually a lurker on this thread (always absorbing the wonderful knowledge that is here) but today I just have to say that I'm so glad to have you. I'm feeling a little attacked today and need a place to lick my wounds.

Can I hide here and just reread this thread? I'm usually a lurker on this thread (always absorbing the wonderful knowledge that is here) but today I just have to say that I'm so glad to have you. I'm feeling a little attacked today and need a place to lick my wounds.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: