Menu

Crossing the Tiber - The Master Thread

Parrothead

I can't tell how many times I've seen people (adults!) chewing gum on their way up to receive the Eucharist! They have no concept whatsoever of what they are doing. I don't believe these people even realize just what they are doing. They are sleepwalking they need to wake up and feel the passion!

I have escaped the land of the sleepers, lol.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running very late here so I only have about two minutes, but I just wanted to say that I'm really getting into the book now and hope to have time to talk about it over the weekend perhaps. One funny thing, which I mentioned to my 20 yo son about the phrase 'personal relationship with Jesus' and how for some people that is a red flag kind of phrase, he said: what they mean is what Chesterton said. Something like "Make your religion less of a theory and more of a love affair!"

So when we are talking about personal relationship we are talking about falling head over heels passionately in love with Jesus! And how can you have any closer relationship than through the Eucharist where you physically become one body with Jesus! That is what has been lost because no one treats the Eucharist as a mystical experience of union. It is just a humdrum symbol, done without thought. I mean I can't tell how many times I've seen people (adults!) chewing gum on their way up to receive the Eucharist! They have no concept whatsoever of what they are doing. I don't believe these people even realize just what they are doing. They are sleepwalking they need to wake up and feel the passion!

Chesterton SO got it right.

she's trying to rectify what she sees as a deficit in our understanding of discipleship.

After spending 30yrs in the wilderness of protestantism and countering my husband's attacks on RC I can tell you there is no lack of discipleship from me. Yet I dont take any credit for the scales coming off my husband's eyes as I had some put on during all that time that needed coming off, too. Its a lifelong process. There is no consistant, long-term discipleship, which may be our own fault through impatience. But I think IN the RC or EO Christians have a better chance of the fullness of the faith.

I think I may have to write a book, too :p

I mean I can't tell how many times I've seen people (adults!) chewing gum on their way up to receive the Eucharist! They have no concept whatsoever of what they are doing. I don't believe these people even realize just what they are doing. They are sleepwalking they need to wake up and feel the passion!

I didn't know. I am a cradle Catholic, born in the early 70s, so you can imagine how non-existent my religious ed was! I had no idea that the Eucharist was the Body and Blood of Christ, or that we were supposed to believe that! I remember joking in high school to a friend about going up and getting my piece of cardboard (it pains me to type that!). I left the Church as a young adult and came back several years later after an incredible experience. I blogged about it, and my "journey" ;-) here:

http://homeschoolblo...cathmom/454263/

Here's a link to Catholic Culture's definition of Kerygma. And they are quoting from Father John Hardon. http://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/dictionary/index.cfm?id=34433

The author has been a Catholic for many, many years and devoted herself to it. I think it is a little unfair to keep bringing up her Protestant upbringing as somehow something that invalidates her experience and knowledge.

I think the term is Catholic as the early Church was Greek in language before Latin took over. I think it has just been underused and she's trying to rectify what she sees as a deficit in our understanding of discipleship.

I hope I didn't come across as trying to invalidate her experience or knowledge when I brought up her Protestant background. In my experience, when you come from that background, whether as someone born into it or even as an adult convert, there are certain catch phrases and ways of speaking that permeate who you are. For me, at least (and my dh), those phrases and words feel very insincere. One thing I have found healing with on the RC is that the focus isn't on saying the "right" words, but living the faith through our actions. The author's use of the phrase "personal relationship with Jesus" didn't really phase me in this context as I could get what she was getting at, but I do wish there was something better to use within the Church to describe what Chesterton was saying.

I didn't know. I am a cradle Catholic, born in the early 70s, so you can imagine how non-existent my religious ed was! I had no idea that the Eucharist was the Body and Blood of Christ, or that we were supposed to believe that! I remember joking in high school to a friend about going up and getting my piece of cardboard (it pains me to type that!). I left the Church as a young adult and came back several years later after an incredible experience. I blogged about it, and my "journey" ;-) here:

http://homeschoolblo...cathmom/454263/

What a beautiful story, cathmom. Thanks for sharing it!

I think your story is actually close to the heart of what FID is trying to address - the Catholic Church has the fullness of Truth, but we need to do a much better job of actually sharing that Truth both intellectually AND spiritually, emotionally, communally. In the Pew surveys, a very large portion of baptized Catholics leave the Church for evangelical churches because they don't feel their spiritual needs are being met. Basically, I think they are looking for what you initially found in your non-denom church - real community, sharing of a spiritual journey, others who acknowledge Christ in their daily life, folks not running each down in the oarking lot trying to leave!, etc. Our parishes often don't do a great job at this, or at least not in a way many can visibly see. I think Wedell is trying to inspire parishes to do both. Present the Truth and spiritual riches of the Church through our liturgies and our religious education program, but also realize we need to have true Christian community that embraces the whole of the person's life.

At one point in the book, she mentions that you can find this type of Catholic community in the lay apostle movements in the Church, but only a tiny percentage of Catholics are ever part of one. And why funnel us all into a lay apostle movement? This is what a parish is supposed to provide. Let's reinvigorate parishes everywhere so all of us can easily find true Catholic community and support without having to look for it elsewhere. (This is not to say anything disparaging about lay apostolate movements; many of us just don't feel called to them.) This is what I find very compelling about the book.

I hope I didn't come across as trying to invalidate her experience or knowledge when I brought up her Protestant background. In my experience, when you come from that background, whether as someone born into it or even as an adult convert, there are certain catch phrases and ways of speaking that permeate who you are. For me, at least (and my dh), those phrases and words feel very insincere. One thing I have found healing with on the RC is that the focus isn't on saying the "right" words, but living the faith through our actions. The author's use of the phrase "personal relationship with Jesus" didn't really phase me in this context as I could get what she was getting at, but I do wish there was something better to use within the Church to describe what Chesterton was saying.

I like this, MLW. Language does have meaning, but sometimes it is more about WHO and HOW a person is using certain phrases. My experience with "personal relationship with Jesus" was never in the context of an alter call or a saying a particular prayer to be saved or whatnot. It was just used to refer to my actual spiritual state - how was my prayer life, my moral decisions, my faith, etc. I don't find Pope Benedict or my pastor or my dad using that phrase insincere because they used it in proper context.

I agree that the Catholic faith focuses more on practice than the "right words".

I was brought up in a non-denominational church, even though my family never practiced outside of church. We didn't pray together or read the Bible together or talk about God. Church and our lives outside of church were two different things --- two different realities, really.

I became disenchanted with God at about 14. I stopped attending church, to the dismay of my parents, even though we never practiced it outside of church. They stopped attending church soon after. At about 16 I began searching for God again. All I knew was Protestantism, so when that didn't work (and believe me, I tried), I turned to non Judeo-Christian religions. Then, to agnosticism. Then, to atheism. Slowly, I ventured back into religion, but felt myself feeling empty. From there, I attended the Orthodox and the Catholic Churches. The mystery within both Churches drew me in. I didn't have to know everything; I didn't have to figure out everything on my own. The early Church fathers and Saints had done it all before me. I just had to follow. Not like a robot --- I still research and read and question and falter. But the Church fathers and the Popes and the Saints are all still there, guiding me along on my path. As well as all of you lovely ladies.

Every part of my life --- my path --- shows me God is there. God led me to A*l A*n*o*n, a program that saved my life. In turn, A*l A*n*o*n led me to God. Many people there don't find that program until they are well into adulthood. I thank God all the time that I found it at the ripe old age of 18. It is a year this month that I have been attending, and it has helped me understand my father's disease of al* c* oho* l* ism, as well as my mother's disease of codependence. It has helped me understand my own codependence and how it was ruining my life. I have found much help within the Church in this regard, as it slowly heals me spiritually as well as emotionally.

I just thought I would share, as all of you ladies have been such a wonderful help to me along my path. I will not be getting Confirmed until sometime in the Spring or so, but I will be receiving Reconciliation tomorrow for the first time, as I was baptized Catholic as an infant. As long as the priest feels I am ready, I will also receive First Holy Communion tomorrow night. I can not describe how nervous I am (for Reconciliation), but how excited I am to be one with Jesus in Holy Communion. I have been waiting for this. It has been hard for me to attend Mass faithfully when I knew I could not partake in Communion, the main purpose of Mass.

I just thought I would share, as all of you ladies have been such a wonderful help to me along my path. I will not be getting Confirmed until sometime in the Spring or so, but I will be receiving Reconciliation tomorrow for the first time, as I was baptized Catholic as an infant. As long as the priest feels I am ready, I will also receive First Holy Communion tomorrow night. I can not describe how nervous I am (for Reconciliation), but how excited I am to be one with Jesus in Holy Communion. I have been waiting for this. It has been hard for me to attend Mass faithfully when I knew I could not partake in Communion, the main purpose of Mass.

Even it you are not the emotional type, take a pocketful of tissue to both.(((hugs)))

While we are talking buzz words how many knew that word "kerygma" before reading this book? I never heard it before, but she sounded appalled that a serious Catholic wouldn't know it.

I didn't know it before I read the book. I thought she was a little too hung up on the particular term, because I think a lot of serious Catholic don't know it and that fact in no way reflects badly on them. That said, I'm glad to add it to my vocabulary. I completely get the concept behind delineating evangelizing from catechizing. I like having terms to describe this distinction that aren't too loaded. I experienced this phenomena of folks being somewhat catechized, but not well evangelized, but didn't have the terminology to describe without using language common to charismatic circles - which can be just as loaded buzzwords for some Catholics as some of the Protestant buzzwords are for others! I feel like some new terminology was really helpful to me in talking with my pastor and other lay folks in our parish.

How wonderful! I'll be praying for you tomorrow.

Something that stuck me in my Advent devotionals was that Mary had a 9 month Advent. Your own Advent is almost over!

What a beautiful story, cathmom. Thanks for sharing it!

I think your story is actually close to the heart of what FID is trying to address - the Catholic Church has the fullness of Truth, but we need to do a much better job of actually sharing that Truth both intellectually AND spiritually, emotionally, communally. In the Pew surveys, a very large portion of baptized Catholics leave the Church for evangelical churches because they don't feel their spiritual needs are being met. Basically, I think they are looking for what you initially found in your non-denom church - real community, sharing of a spiritual journey, others who acknowledge Christ in their daily life, folks not running each down in the oarking lot trying to leave!, etc. Our parishes often don't do a great job at this, or at least not in a way many can visibly see. I think Wedell is trying to inspire parishes to do both. Present the Truth and spiritual riches of the Church through our liturgies and our religious education program, but also realize we need to have true Christian community that embraces the whole of the person's life.

At one point in the book, she mentions that you can find this type of Catholic community in the lay apostle movements in the Church, but only a tiny percentage of Catholics are ever part of one. And why funnel us all into a lay apostle movement? This is what a parish is supposed to provide. Let's reinvigorate parishes everywhere so all of us can easily find true Catholic community and support without having to look for it elsewhere. (This is not to say anything disparaging about lay apostolate movements; many of us just don't feel called to them.) This is what I find very compelling about the book.

You're welcome! I think this is why the book struck such a chord within me. Right up until when I saw Jesus in the Eucharist, I was going to be Protestant my whole life! That's why THE most important thing is understanding the Eucharist IMO.

What a beautiful journey; may you continue to be blessed richly by God. I will be praying for you. :grouphug:

I mean I can't tell how many times I've seen people (adults!) chewing gum on their way up to receive the Eucharist!

If my priest saw this, I think he would :svengo:.

I love John Chapter 6, especially from vs. 48 or so and on. This is the heart and soul of our Christianity! And as for me, :001_wub: .

I wanted to pop in here and let you all know that we're really liking our local parish. We've already met with someone and discussed RCIA classes. We won't be able to start for several months and it will take a while but they are letting us do it as a family and we're all really excited. The priest sat with us a bit last week and scored major points with older dd when she mentioned our last church telling her she was sinning for reading HP. He belly laughed and said a few words to her and she seems almost excited about continuing there. Dh has even said he really enjoys the messages at this parish. He said it's definitely not what we were getting elsewhere and he's happy to continue (he's even excited about a 6am Saturday men's group they talked about :w00t: ). I'm reading everything I can get my hands on and am really excited about our future there.

So would I! I can't say I've ever seen that in either an RC or Epicsopal/Anglican church in my general 100 mi radius (NYC, PHL, and the shore).

OK, do I get the Crankypants award for this?

My friends' son Rafe went to be with God earlier this evening. He was 23 years old and had cystic fibrosis (for those who may not have read about him up thread). His parents will be home tomorrow. Rafe was in a hospital a few hours away from home.

My heart is breaking for them. I don't know what to do. I have the key and will feed the dogs/ let them out in the morning. I might make some food, but I bet they will be getting a ton of food from their many friends and relatives, so I might wait and see what they get before deciding what to bring. If they get ten casseroles, I will bring something else.

Also, Rafe's mom Melanie who is my dear dear friend, is having a birthday tomorrow. When Rafe's aunt and I were doing things around the house to get it ready for their homecoming, I noticed they didn't have many sheets, and I couldn't find a complete set. We did put clean sheets on the bed but they didn't match. So, I got her a pretty new set of sheets for her birthday. But I don't know when I should give them to her, or if I should just wrap them and leave them on her bed tomorrow when I go take care of the dogs. What would you do???

I so want to give them some comfort even in a small way. I know when I have lost loved ones, the thing that meant the most to me was just people BEING there. They would say, "I don't know what to say" and I would tell them, "Your presence is enough!!!" So I will be present for them.

May Rafe's soul and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

I love John Chapter 6, especially from vs. 48 or so and on. This is the heart and soul of our Christianity! And as for me, :001_wub: .

Mine too. And there would be another reminder in the bulletin! :-)

My friends' son Rafe went to be with God earlier this evening.

May Rafe's soul and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Amen.

If you think they will have loads of food, get paper plates and plastic cups. Everyone brings food but it is rare that someone thinks about the dishes needing done.

An yes, just being there will be. Comfort for your friend. Run interference for her. Answer the phone. Make coffee and listen when she is ready to talk.

(((Hugs)))

I've been acquainted with Sherry Weddell & her work for several years, and when she announced this book this spring, I was very excited and read it as soon as I could get a copy this summer, and wasn't disappointed. In fact, at my work in a diocese, I've given this book to over a hundred priests, deacons, religious, DREs and parish catechists. In my experience, the story Sherry relates in the Introduction (the Canadian woman who was a leader in her parish but was unable to describe her lived experience of her relationship with God) is emblematic and far too common.

Google search results for "personal relationship with Jesus" + site:vatican.va

This phrase has been used many times by Bl. John Paul II, Benedict XVI, and others who've preached or written messages posted on the Vatican's web site. So I guess those of us who find the term helpful and meaningful aren't way out there. :)

Exactly. I think that many Catholics shirk at the phrase simply because it's associated with (evangelical) Protestantism, but that in and of itself doesn't make it wrong, obviously. If someone asked me if I have a personal relationship with my parents, children or spouse, I wouldn't hem & haw... I'd say Yes! To give one papal example, in his 2011 Message to Youth, Pope Benedict said this: "Christian faith is not only a matter of believing that certain things are true, but above all a personal relationship with Jesus Christ." This is an introverted, cerebral German we're talking about. :001_smile:

A couple other thoughts:

Kerygma: I don't have the book in front of me, but my recollection is that Weddell's concern isn't that they can't define the word "kerygma", but rather is that they can't articulate the kerygma, i.e. the basic Gospel message. I.e. if you asked the typical Catholic, "What is the Good News of Jesus Christ?" How many of them could answer at all, let alone accurately?

Catechesis: it's not merely intellectual knowledge... that's more instruction than catechesis. Catechesis properly speaking ought to lead to a growth in our relationship with Christ, to a deepening, a maturing of our discipleship. Too often it's reduced to purely intellectual knowledge... it certainly includes that, but it's much more than that.

Relatedly, catechesis isn't distinct from evangelization, but rather is one stage in the larger process of evangelization. What we often mean by evangelization is what the Church refers to as Primary or Initial Proclamation (of the basic Gospel message), which is followed by initiatory catechesis (the basics) and then ongoing, lifelong catechesis. But in every form of catechesis, it must be (properly speaking) evangelical, because it's part of the process of evangelization. It's not just about teaching... it's about teaching to conversion to Jesus Christ, about fostering the encounter with the living God.

My $.10. :001_smile:

AMEN.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I would possibly wait on her birthday gift until after the funeral. I was amazed at my cousin's children (all adults) who were able to say, "Merry Christmas" and one of the them even did Christmas cards after the funeral. In the middle...eh, the focus is too much on getting everything done. Continuing on with life to me is a validation of having faith. But, it is sometimes hard to "restart" after such a loss. So, the present to me is one of those things that can help one continue on... JMO. I don't think there's only one right way to do this!

Confession was interesting. The fast speaking Priest (Father F) was also a fast speaker in Confession.... He was very kind, though. I brought a list with me, but even then, I was so nervous, I forgot a few. I didn't realize until after. I know they were forgiven in Confession because I forgot them, but I still need to confess them at my next Confession. I think next time I am going to go to Father M for Confession. I felt like I was in a drive by Confession. I hear Father M is more talkative and gives more input than Father F. I think that is what I need.

I also had my first Holy Communion :)

Confession was interesting. The fast speaking Priest (Father F) was also a fast speaker in Confession.... He was very kind, though. I brought a list with me, but even then, I was so nervous, I forgot a few. I didn't realize until after. I know they were forgiven in Confession because I forgot them, but I still need to confess them at my next Confession. I think next time I am going to go to Father M for Confession. I felt like I was in a drive by Confession. I hear Father M is more talkative and gives more input than Father F. I think that is what I need.

I also had my first Holy Communion :)

I could use Father F's contact information. ;)

I think I was still a little nervous from Confession to really feel the enormity of the moment. Is that horrible?

Well, the good news is that you get to have a second go at it tomorrow. ;-) Some days I miss the boat, other days it's the most momentous thing ever. Just always try.

I could use Father F's contact information. ;)

I know, right?

I'll meet you there. We can do lunch after... Well if I'm doing penance it might be a dinner date.

Hey, I saved you a spot in hell, you ditchin me?

Chucki, remember who you are talking to....I will see you for Bloody Marys the following morning. And that is if Father is light on the penance!

Bloody Mary's are my favorite.

I'd like to start this post with a positive ... our priest's brother, also a priest, was here from Ireland, so we were treated to his homily tonight. :) He gave a wonderful homily.

Ok, now my minor complaint. ;) Our parish did nothing, culturally speaking, regarding the Epiphany. Yes, it was there in the readings and the priest's homily. But, no blessing of chalk. No blessing on (indoor?) water. I took a piece of chalk with us, having a feeling that we'd need to take our own. Then, I had to explain to the priest why I was asking him to bless a piece of chalk. :lol: He thought it was great because he learned something new. (Maybe Epiphany blessings of the house aren't a big thing in Ireland?) I'm going to email our parish sister (I'd ask her but she canceled our Monday night Bible study since Notre Dame is playing in the BCS game ;) ) and ask her why there aren't more acknowledgments/teachings of cultural (maybe domestic church would be a better term) traditions. It's the one thing I feel is lacking and I'm not sure if it's our parish or our archdiocese or even our whole state (after all, January 1, the Feast of Mary, isn't even a holy day of obligation out here!). So, we don't have holy water (unless one of us gets over to the church in between masses tomorrow) but we have blessed chalk! (I need to somehow keep it separate from the chalk I use during lessons on the chalk board, though maybe those lessons would be really good ones. LOL)

Do they still give out palm leaves on Palm Sunday? As a child my mom had us place it in between our mattresses. Our first Lutheran pastor used to hand them out, but when he left the interim pastor wasnt going to until someone complained and he found some dried palm leaves made into a cross to hand out.

My mom must have missed out on the holy water. I dont remember it growing up, only in the fonts at church. Is the water you can buy from Lourdes blessed?

Will be going to RC morning service and EO old calendar Christmas Eve service tonight (to contrast it to the wonderful RC midnight service we attended). Still afraid to jump off the fence. I am enjoying reacquainting myself with my cradle faith, but dh likes EO more and more (theology).

I was listening to Catholic radio this morning. They were interviewing a former director of a PP clinic. When she was explaining what was the final straw that made her quit...it dawned on me that the millions of babies that have been killed by abortion have been martyrs. They were innocents taken by force. I never made the martyr connection before. Lord, have mercy.

What is supposed to be so hot about him? I dont get it! But some of the captions were cute. I like the one about holding your hand.

Yeah, I don't get the hot part either. Maybe I'm just too old for him. But I think some of the caption are hilarious.

I've been having such a hard time focusing in Mass lately. My 4 year old has been so wiggily that it's been tough to concentrate. She does pretty well and is quiet, she is just squirmy. I bring 2 little books for her to read, so those help.

I just keep praying that God understands and that some day I'll be able to truly appreciate mass again.

Chucki, your Catholic board on pinterest is cracking me up a bit...

The new meaning of LOL?

For those that are wondering I have a cartoon of two cardinals. One says to the other, "the pope is texting now. LOL now means OurLady Of Lourdes."

I've been having such a hard time focusing in Mass lately. My 4 year old has been so wiggily that it's been tough to concentrate. She does pretty well and is quiet, she is just squirmy. I bring 2 little books for her to read, so those help.

I just keep praying that God understands and that some day I'll be able to truly appreciate mass again.

It will come. I think we've all been there at one time or another.

I've got a question regarding the Our Father/Lord's Prayer. We're all enjoying Mass but there is so much we don't understand so don't feel right in participating. One is when saying the Our Father everyone else raises hand or holds hands. Why? I've told dds we'll figure this stuff out slowly and we'll probably feel better about following along once we know and understand why.

ETA: We say the words but we don't do anything with our hands (even though everyone around us does :001_unsure: ).

I am NOT a hand holder. I fold my hands in front of me thankyouverymuch. The lifted hands is the Orans posture.

Ok, did your link basically say it really shouldn't be done throughout the whole Our Father? It was done at our local parish as well as in the Cathedral downtown. I'm more confused.

The hand holding has never been approved. In some parishes it is done by most everyone. The last 3 I've been to have been that way. In other parishes it isn't done much.

I wish an official ruling would be made one way or another.

The hand holding is only done by a few, but the hands up seems to be almost everyone. I actually thought this would be something with an easy answer. :tongue_smilie: I guess we'll keep doing what we're doing, which is simply saying the prayer.

It can be very hard not to be able to be recollected at Mass. This stage can last for years when you have multiples so I think it is good to establish some strategies to make it a fruitful time. A couple of things that are helping me during this stage:

1. Focus on your child being the child Jesus to you during mass. This works really well for me during the baby stage. The Lord gave me these little ones to me as my vocation so I really focus on seeing Christ in them particularly during Mass as I serve them by quieting them (babies and toddlers) or guide them in learning to participate in the liturgy (preschooler and older). This way I AM focusing on Christ during mass, even if it is a little different than I usually do.

2. Read the readings the night before Mass. This way even if I am busy helping kids, if I catch a snatch of the readings or homily, I am usually able to follow along better with the little I do hear.

3. Ask your guardian angel to do some adoration for you. It is very difficult to enter into deep adoration with distracting littles so I often ask my guardian angel to help supply what is wanting in my prayers. This seems to help me so much for some reason.

4. Get to mass by yourself once a month. My husband and I work things out so once a month we can go to Mass alone either on Sunday or during the week. It is very refreshing to the spirit and seems to help keep up our ability to focus during prayer. If I go too long without being at Mass by myself, the first time I do get to go alone, it is like I forgot how to pray, which is soooo frustrating.

HTH!

Oh,I forgot to add that I try to train them to sit in the pew nicely at least for communion time as early as possible. Just being a to go receive the Eucharist by myself, even if that is the only few minutes I get to myself the whole Mass, is very important to me. You can cram a lot of adoration and praise in the few minutes in the communion line!