Menu

I like my art with nipples.

Mergath

Hey, it got your attention.

I'm trying to find a good K-level art program for dd. I've been looking at the free unit of Meet the Masters, and I downloaded the currently-free program from Cornerstone to look through.

However, all of the good programs I've found have some kind of statement in the intro to the effect of, "We think nude paintings are bad, bad, bad! So our program doesn't have any."

I really don't want to have a bunch of iconic works omitted because of the occasional nip slip or whatever. Does anyone have any good recommendations? I'd love for it to have art history and projects, but the art history is the important part because I'll have a much easier time improvising the projects.

I suppose I could just integrate all the nipples back in, but I thought I'd check to see if what I'm looking for is already out there first.

Thanks!

Our local art museum does a homeschool art class once a month. It's been great. You may want to check if there's something available near you. For us, it's a once a month class. We get art history when we tour the works (including traveling exhibits) and the kids get to do a project.

We like Sister Wendy, and check lots of books from the library. The girls used to fixate on the breasts when they were younger (fondly reminiscing about their nursing days), then went through a protracted phase of laughing at the men and arguing: "Brain!" "Raisin!" "No, it looks like a tiny brain!" "No, a giant raisin!" etc.

We like Sister Wendy, and check lots of books from the library. The girls used to fixate on the breasts when they were younger (fondly reminiscing about their nursing days), then went through a protracted phase of laughing at the men and arguing: "Brain!" "Raisin!" "No, it looks like a tiny brain!" "No, a giant raisin!" etc.

Love Sister Wendy. And her books and videos have more nipples then you can shake a stick at. Not sure if any of it would sink in at a K level though. I just stock up on books on artists when I'm at used book sales and such for the kids to look through at that age.

Love Sister Wendy. And her books and videos have more nipples then you can shake a stick at. Not sure if any of it would sink in at a K level though. I just stock up on books on artists when I'm at used book sales and such for the kids to look through at that age.

Yeah, I'm mostly just looking for exposure at this point. (Er, no pun intended?) Just want her to get used to thinking about art, perhaps remember a few major artists, do a few projects. I'll have to look into the Sister Wendy videos. Even if they're too much for dd, I might watch them myself. :)

That's what I thought too!

LOL, Mergath, you really know how to draw a crowd!

Hey, it worked! Look at all the recommendations for art stuff I have now. :D

ETA: Lol... look at how many views this thread has. I guess you guys weren't the only ones that were like, "Wha-?"

The National Gallery also has some cool interactive art activities for kids.

Wow - did you see the learning resources page? You can borrow items from their lending library - it specifically says it is open to homeschoolers. http://www.nga.gov/kids/linkclassroom.htm

Thanks so much for drawing the National Gallery to my attention - we have long been meaning to go up there, I'd never thought of looking online, though.

If you're just going for exposure, Sister Wendy's 1000 Masterpieces is a fabulous book to have on hand. Just leave it out on a coffee table and let her browse. My kids enjoy randomly flipping through it, and it's a good reference tool. I love her commentary.

I really like Harmony Fine Arts. She does have a section about nudity in her pdfs and links to her thoughts about it. i only have the HFW Grade 1 book and so far none of the links have hade nudity. I don't think she's opposed to parents making their own decesions about it, but i get the feeling that she goes for neutrality and there wouldn't be a lot of nudity in her selections.

My advice is to invest in some beautiful art books and let the kids look through them. Art by DK is gorgeous. It's huge! And it's a history with a timeline running throughout, So it starts with cave paintings etc and moves into modern art. I love it.

For a 4 year old (for the op)Harmony Fine Arts grade 1 would work well. How To Use Childsized Masterpieces would work. Artistic Pursuits or Art Express would work. I don't really pay attention to the nudity factor in any of those though, because it's a non issue with me. My best advice would be to supplement any art program with real art books, or check them out from the library.

Also there isn't really a huge amount of nudity in essential art pieces to recognize, especially for a 4 year old. Just don't cover up David or any of the other Renaissance era paintings and you'll be good.

I just blogged about intergrating our art appreciation with our history studies yesterday. I think it might be easiest for you to pick a time period or just list several artists that you enjoy and gather materials from there. The National Gallery of Art is a great source and I haven't had time to fully explore it, but Google Art project may be interesting for you as well.

I also tried Harmony Fine Arts for a year, but I found that it didn't quite match up to what we were doing with our history. That is why I am going to give it a go on my own this year.

Best of luck!

After looking through the different options, we decided to go with Meet the Masters and just reintegrate anything that was removed. Dd absolutely adored the free preview unit, so I think it will be a good fit. Thanks for all the advice, everyone! And the baby/statue picture. That's all kinds of awesome. :D

That photo is hilarious!

Mergath - We do Meet the Masters and I'm pretty happy with it, but be prepared for the sometimes patronizing narration. Plus, since it is written for a class, there are sometimes odd questions that don't make sense in a family situation (assuming you are blindly reading along out loud, as I end up doing). It is all good, and we get it done, it just makes me grit my teeth sometimes.

I've been thinking about your worry about "essential pieces" being removed due to nudity today. Mainly because I love art and I have always wondered what the other sides issues with nudity in art was all about. And frankly, I can't really think of anything that i would consider "essential" art for a child to be familiar with that has nudity in it. Except the statue David--- (and it drives me nuts when people give him a swim suit).

Degas, Monet, Renoir, Picasso, O'Keefe, Cassat, Chagall, Rousseau, Seurat,Van Gogh, Goya (just throwing names out there randomly)---really there's not a lot of nudity in their works. And the nudes they have done are usually called After The Bath or The Bather lol, so just remember that and you'll find all the nipples you want. But, my point is, as far as any of them being essential or iconic, I would argue their other works as being more important.There's some nudity in really recent modern work---but still not a ton. Older Renaissance works and earlier---the 1250s to about the 1850s are where you're likely to find more nudity. And then even then---artists like da Vinci, Rembrandt, Botticelli, etc don't have a ton of nudity in what could be considered their "essential" work to know. And I don't feel that those older works are really that accessible or interesting to young children the way the Impressionists (for example) are.

Just some thoughts.

ETA: Since your child is 4, I would highly suggest the Lucy Micklethaiwt (spelling?) books. I Spy: An Alphabet in Art, I spy: Numbers in Art and so on and so on. They are truly beautiful first art books for a young child. And she makes a point in hitting various time periods and cultures in each book. Love them!