Menu

Any NYC ers?..... Considering relocating and need HELP!

sagesavannah

We are considering a move to Brooklyn, specifically the Park Slopes area, and would like to get some help/feedback.

What is this neighborhood like? Everything I've read says super family friendly, not as expensive as the Heights, great place to live with kids, nice feel, clean, safe, etc. any NY ers care to help? What is it like in general living in the city? I've visited my sister plenty of times, she lives in the Heights, but would like to get more of a feel for what other people with families think. She's single, no kids, loves living there.

My husband makes $75,000 a year here in the south, and we still struggle, how mch would he need to make there to live comparatively ? Im thinking minimum 115-120, living simply. I know the bigggst expense is living...Apartments seem to be going for about $3000 in Park Slopes, is this pretty accurate? We would need a 2 bedroom, would like a 3, but probably not going to happen.

His line of work would pay competitely in NYC, so I know he'd make more, just trying to figure out what we would need to live on bare minimum to live in this area.

Any tips/ advice exactly wheore to look in the neighborhood?

We have a 10 yo dd, and we do a mostly Charlotte Mason approach. I was concerned about the lack of yards until I saw the prospect park? Is that what it's called? It looks pretty cool, a small piece of forest in the city. Is it easy to get there and around?

Also what about food costs compared to other areas? We eat all organic, but make everything from scratch and no processed/canned food, etc.

Trader Joes is cheap and I love them, what about the other natural health food stores in Brooklyn. Super pricey?? Or the food co-op in the area. Worth it?

How's the homeschool scene? I did a search and there's a group in Park Slopes, is it very active? What's homeschooling like in general in the city?

We would sell our car, and mainly stay in Brooklyn, with my husband commuting (hopefully) and dd an I going to Manhattan maybe once a week or so.

Oh one more thing.... My daughters a ballet dancer, and I would like er to go to just a ballet school, but don't know if I want to take her in to Manhattanfor that. How are the Ballet schools in Brooklyn ?

Any other details or advi ce would be much appreciated.!!

I'll try to answer your questions but I live in a different borough.

We are considering a move to Brooklyn, specifically the Park Slopes area, and would like to get some help/feedback.

What is this neighborhood like? Everything I've read says super family friendly, not as expensive as the Heights, great place to live with kids, nice feel, clean, safe, etc. any NY ers care to help?

I have only been there a few times. Back in the day it was considered a lesbian mecca but now might be more urban-yuppy-family oriented. I think there is a segment of blacks and hispanics who resent the gentrification the neighborhood has gone through, You probably won't have to deal with this much if you avoid the public schools. This is based on a couple nytimes articles i've read so I could be wrong.

Housing is VERY expensive. Most if not all townhouses are in the million+ range. Not sure about rent. Most places in NYC require first month, deposit, and broker fee which a certain percentage of a year's rent. We have owned for a while so I' not sure. You should go to city data and ask in the NYC forum there. One thing I can tell you is that parking will be a NIGHTMARE unless you have a parking space (driveway or rent a garage space). You have to move your car to the opposite side of the street so even if you find a spot you have to move. If you don't have a car grocery shopping will be a lot tougher and you'll be "trapped" to a certain extent to where you can easily get via public transportation.

What is it like in general living in the city? I've visited my sister plenty of times, she lives in the Heights, but would like to get more of a feel for what other people with families think. She's single, no kids, loves living there.

It depends on where you live. Some areas are bombed out ghettos while others are gorgeous & luxurious. What do you mean by the heights... there are a number of "heights" neighborhoods.

My husband makes $75,000 a year here in the south, and we still struggle, how mch would he need to make there to live comparatively ? Im thinking minimum 115-120, living simply. I know the bigggst expense is living...Apartments seem to be going for about $3000 in Park Slopes, is this pretty accurate? We would need a 2 bedroom, would like a 3, but probably not going to happen.

It really depends. I know people making 200k+ and they struggle to maintain a middle class standard of living (safe neighborhood, good condition home, working car, decent groceries, cultural events, vacations). We are very frugal and have done without so we have been ok. But we live in a cheaper area than Park Slope.

A lot of parks are filthy and unsafe so don't depend on parks for exploring nature. Some are beautiful and well maintained and there is a greenbelt in the city-- but still, it's in the city, and there are homeless people camping out in the greenbelt (at least in my neck of the woods). And poison ivy is crazy here in the greenbelt! It's everywhere and grows as tall as trees. The brooklyn food coop has a good selection but is still pricey compared to what you would find at local ethnic grocers or costco. I *think* there is free parking there but I'm not sure.

Homeschool scene is about 80% hippyyish/ anti-establishment types with a smaller percentage of christian/ conservative types. My experience with it was not good, a lot of snobbery, unreasonable demands, and weirdos. But, there are probably a lot more HSers in PS than where I live. You should check out the city schooling blog: http://homeschoolinginnewyorkcity.blogspot.com/

Anything "artistic" outside of manhattan is generally looked down on and the parents who are serious about lessons tend to go into manhattan. Expect lessons to be astronomically expensive.

You might want to post some questions here-

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/

I would also search yahoo groups for NYC homeschooling. I know there is an active group but the name escapes me (I am in NJ but there are some New Yorkers in our groups).

You are going to be in shock at how expensive everything is in/around New York. Food, transportation, bridge tolls (that are constantly going up), any kind of enrichment class for kids, food, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions ladies. Please keep them coming.

I realize that the area will be waaaaay more pricey than the south where we are currently.

We are from SoCal though, and have lived in the south for 5 years, so high cost of living is not new to me. We basically are wanting to move because I mostly hate it here where we are currently at, and would love to be close to family, and also really like a lot of the things NY has to offer.

I think I could put up with the lack of privacy and steep cost f living, for the trade offs.

Oh my sister lives in Brooklyn Heights so that's why we chose Brooklyn, as I'm somewhat familiar with it. When we've visited in the past, we don't really do touristy stuff except on occasion, so walking to stores, etc. I think I'd be ok with.

What are some other safe, less expensive areas to check out?

We'd basically do cheap/free stuff in the city, live very frugally.

Do you think we could do it on a budget of around $115 g, with rent being around $3000 monthly?

How is heating/air/water prices?

Do you all participate in a homeschool group, or classes?

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

We lived in Brooklyn -- in the Heights, actually, so I probably passed your sister on the street! -- until two years ago. We were there for 8 years (and three kids). Park Slope is a fabulous neighborhood, uber-uber-family friendly, and Prospect Park is glorious. I also spent a stretch living ih in Brooklyn back in the early '90s and at that time one could still hear gunshots in the park at night, but no more. It is absolutely a substitute for a backyard, and then some, if you can live close enough.

NYC has a thriving homeschool community (look up NYCHEA online) and Park Slope is a locus of much homeschooling activity. We used to go to park days at Prospect Park, in fact. You will have no trouble finding folks to hook up with.

Food is overall rather more expensive in NYC than elsewhere, IME, and you will be shopping on foot or by subway, which is a whole 'nother thing from shopping by car. You can get to Trader Joe's relatively easily on the subway, and there is a great farmers' market at Grand Army Plaza. The Park Slope Food Coop has fantastic prices and excellent produce, probably some of the best in town, but there is a work requirement for every adult member of a member household (family members can do shifts for one another, but the requirement is calculated per adult). Plus, lots of politics! But if you can deal with the crazy and do the work requirements without undue hassle, the quality and the prices are great.

Housing costs are insane, as you already know. A lot will depend on where your husband winds up working -- there are various subway lines that run out to Park Slope, and you will obviously want to be somewhere where it will not take him forever and a day to get to work. As a general rule, you will pay dearly for (1) being near the park; (2) being near a subway line, especially an express line; and (3) being in an elevator building. Most of the buildings in that area are walkups, and the higher you live (i.e., the more stairs to climb) the less you will pay. On the up side, if you are homeschooling you don't have to worry about public school zoning (the most desirable public school in Brooklyn is in Park Slope), which opens your options a bit.

In addition to Park Slope, I'd look at Prospect Heights and Windsor Terrace.

I am not familiar with ballet schools in the city, I'm afraid. IIRC, the Brooklyn Ballet is in downtown Brooklyn, which is not far from Park Slope.

As for living in the city, I absolutely loved it and miss it all the time. (My husband is considerably less nostalgic.) We left because my husband got a better job here in TN, and indeed, we have much more financial breathing room now. As a PP said, NYC is just expensive, all the way around. And living with our three little boys all packed into a cramped apartment with no yard was getting old, I have to admit. But it is such a wonderful place to live, and I can't possibly imagine a more exciting place to homeschool.

Hi and welcome to NYC!

Park Slope is a great neighborhood and you will absolutely love it there.

I love living in the city. I love being able to walk everywhere and hop on the subway to Manhattan in 15 minutes. Homeschooling here is a dream - more resources and experiences than I could name, The NY regulations are easy to deal with and NYC is a pretty easy overall district. Your dd will even get a free Metrocard to ride the subways and buses for free.

The homeschool scene is fantastic. There are so many active groups to join. NYCHEA is the largest (not my cup of tea, though) and there are Yahoo groups like "homeschoolnewyork", "ParkSlopehomeschoolers", "LEAH", and "5BoroHomeschool". Regular trips are to places like the Met Museum, the Hayden Planetarium, Ellis Island, or a Broadway show.

Yeah, it's expensive to live here. But you can live very well on even the tightest budget. You just have to learn where to go. Food is not so expensive. I mean, it can be, but I shop at Aldi's, Costco, and Trader Joes instead of the pricey supermarkets. I'm sure you have at least one Greenmarket in your area as well as several libraries and playgrounds.

Prospect Park is really nice. Ds had an ongoing zoo class there a few years back. A friend of mine has a weekly homeschool meetup there, too.

I'm sure there are many ballet schools in Brooklyn. My dd is a dancer and has many friends at her performing arts high school who went to Brooklyn ballet schools. I'll see if she can get some recommendations for you.

What is this neighborhood like? Everything I've read says super family friendly, not as expensive as the Heights, great place to live with kids, nice feel, clean, safe, etc. any NY ers care to help? What is it like in general living in the city? I've visited my sister plenty of times, she lives in the Heights, but would like to get more of a feel for what other people with families think. She's single, no kids, loves living there.

His line of work would pay competitely in NYC, so I know he'd make more, just trying to figure out what we would need to live on bare minimum to live in this area.

Any tips/ advice exactly wheore to look in the neighborhood?

We have a 10 yo dd, and we do a mostly Charlotte Mason approach. I was concerned about the lack of yards until I saw the prospect park? Is that what it's called? It looks pretty cool, a small piece of forest in the city. Is it easy to get there and around?

Also what about food costs compared to other areas? We eat all organic, but make everything from scratch and no processed/canned food, etc.

Trader Joes is cheap and I love them, what about the other natural health food stores in Brooklyn. Super pricey?? Or the food co-op in the area. Worth it?

How's the homeschool scene? I did a search and there's a group in Park Slopes, is it very active? What's homeschooling like in general in the city?

We would sell our car, and mainly stay in Brooklyn, with my husband commuting (hopefully) and dd an I going to Manhattan maybe once a week or so.

Oh one more thing.... My daughters a ballet dancer, and I would like er to go to just a ballet school, but don't know if I want to take her in to Manhattanfor that. How are the Ballet schools in Brooklyn ?

Any other details or advi ce would be much appreciated.!!

Park Slope is a great place to live, but I can't imagine how you could live on $75,000 -- and honestly, I wouldn't try it with an income of $115-125k, either, if you want a decent place to live and a good standard of living. What good is it to move to NYC if you can't afford to do the things you've always dreamed of doing?

$3000 a month in rent won't get you more than 1000 square feet, and that won't be a luxurious 1000 square feet, either. I have a relative who lives there and he pays over $7500 per month to rent a 2 bedroom apartment. I know another person who pays over $4000 for a nice-sized studio apartment.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but the reality is that Park Slope is pricey, and if you're moving from an area with a lower cost of living, the sticker shock can be pretty extreme... and it's hard to find a reasonably priced apartment for a family that's in a good neighborhood.

I know it's possible for some people to live on a smaller income, but if you're already living nicely where you are, why would you want to downgrade your home, your lifestyle, and your amenities just to live in Brooklyn? You would be making a very large sacrifice, and you should think long and hard about it before making that kind of change.

Let's face it, NYC is a great place, but if you're not making enough money to afford a nice lifestyle, you're not going to be happy there. Also, living in NYC is vastly different from just visiting. Everything seems more glamorous and exciting when you're visiting, but day-to-day life is... well... day-to-day life, and if you're spending most of your time in a relatively tiny apartment, without a car, the excitement about being in the city can wane pretty quickly. (And for what it's worth, I would NOT be without a car. Believe me, you'll need one.)

Yes, as other mentioned, the museum/ culture scene is without par. If we feel like going to the Museum of Natural History we can be there two hours later. Buying a membership to a museum is pretty cheap if you amortize it. Any safe family/ hipster type neighborhood is going to be very expensive. You asked for cheaper, safe places, but that would put you in more guido (think jersey shore mentality) type places where there is less of a culture scene (guido is not considered an insult where I live btw, people put it on their license plates...). So to be in the thick of it, in a safe family friendly neighborhood, I don't think you could go much cheaper than Park Slope without losing on cultural energy, HSing being common, or safety. The libraries are incredible too and you can request anything from inter library loan.

Our household income is high 200s and only now am I starting to feel like we can live a middle class lifestyle, and as I said we're in a much cheaper area than PS. But we have lived on as little as 35k (without any gov't benefits) so it is possible to live cheaply in the city, you just have to be willing to live in a bad neighborhood and only spend on cheap groceries and utilities.

Just musing here--from my outlook on the ranch. It's just bizaare to me that folks want to live in the city. I don't mean that snarkily, just truly amazed. I'm such a country mouse. Maybe I'll come visit you all. :D

Well because of the jobs, the culture, the diversity, the excitement, the accessibility, the endless resources, experiences, & opportunities, and the convenience of getting to all of it fairly easily. My family and I can only take the country in very small doses or we go crazy from boredom. NYC is an amazing place to raise a family and homeschool.

I lived in Forest Hills Gardens, Queens and the Gramercy Park area of Manhattan for 8 years.

Probably the single most important thing to keep in mind is space. I tend to think folks underestimate how small apartments are in NYC and also how little you get for your dollar in housing. Everything will be super small even in a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment. Tiny kitchen, bath, bedroom, and closets.

You MUST live a minimalist lifestyle. Get rid of extra stuff: clothes, dishes, toys, books. Don't even bring it with you.

Hmmm... somone I know in PS says that maybe, possibly, you *might* find a decent 2 bedroom in some parts of PS for 3k/mo. ;) (How's that for encouragment lol?) It wouldn't be huge, but if you streamline, it may be doable. It will take some searching, yes. You really need to research. You cant live on Union, but perhaps south of Union, around 12th and 13th Streets? Have you checked Craig's List? If you want to be east of Fourth Ave, it will be more costly, and are going to pay $3600-4000 at least. Something else to keep in mind is the fact many lessors require that your annual salary be 40xs your monthly rent. So for a 3k place, you need to earn 120k before taxes, although this is not always the case.

Have you considered Cobble Hill? You would be closer to your sister in Brooklyn Heights. Cobble Hill is really cute, with lots of families, and not quite as pricey as PS.

I live in MA, and i don't find food prices all that different. I recently bought Amish pastured eggs from the Union Square Farmer's Market for $4. I don't notice that Trader Joe's prices vary tremendously.

If I were to make such a move, I would need to make my home an oasis. There is a great excitement and much to do, but there are so many people (and ime, some of the nicest people on earth), so much action and activity; you need a place to truly relax, and regroup.

I don't mean to imply I am a New Yorker; we are merely grateful, frequent visitors.

Well because of the jobs, the culture, the diversity, the excitement, the accessibility, the endless resources, experiences, & opportunities, and the convenience of getting to all of it fairly easily. My family and I can only take the country in very small doses or we go crazy from boredom. NYC is an amazing place to raise a family and homeschool.

I would LOVE to live in NYC. I'm a big-city person at heart, and I hate having to get in the car for every little thing. When we lived in Hong Kong it was awesome - we didn't have a car, and walked or took public transportation everywhere. So much to do, see, eat, etc. Heaven!

My best friend lives in Bay Ridge which is (IMHO) a fantastic urban neighborhood where rents are a bit cheaper. There are nice parks there as well but they are smaller and more along the edges of the neighborhood rather than the big, central park situation in Park Slope. But she is not naturally a city person, got priced out of Park Slope and ended up in Bay Ridge and now LOVES it there. She's raising two boys. I'm sure she'd be happy to talk with you about her neighborhood and about adjusting to live in NYC in general. PM me if you'd like me to put you in touch.

The downside to Bay Ridge is that it is kind of the outer reaches of Brooklyn. If you are looking to get into Manhattan for stuff, you'd do better to live in Jersey City, Hoboken or Newark. I live in NJ, you can PM me if you'd like to hear about urban-living options across the river that are an easy commute to Manhattan.

Food prices are always said to be high in NYC but, actually, food is cheaper in the New York area than anywhere else in the country. It is true that New Yorkers spend more on food than anyone else and this is the result of the same thing that makes our food cheaper: HUGE variety. You can find everything here--including very pricey gourmet options and lots of New Yorkers can afford that.

I think part of what makes the city expensive is the "keeping up with the Joneses" thing that is compounded by the fact that the Joneses are EVERYWHERE! It can feel like every single stroller you see is a Bugaboo and it's hard to buy a Graco. (I know you are beyond the stroller stage but you know what I mean?)

I think the city is fantastic. I love the country--it's great to visit. I kind of wish less people lived in it so we had more real country to visit! But my kids get a great education every time we walk out our door. I think it's great you are considering a move.

I grew up in Brooklyn and loved it. My high school was actually in Park Slope, it is a great area but very pricey. Some other neighborhoods to check out would be Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay, Marine Park, Dyker Heights ( I have a friend who lives there and loves it. There is also a great Christmas display there) or Mill Basin. I grew up in Flatlands but from what I understand that neighborhood has gone down hill a little but I have not been there in a few years. The best pizza place I know of is on Ralph Ave in Flatlands , I know folks who still travel to get pizza from there.

I've lived in a couple Northeast cities, recently. There are cheap buses that connect the cities and some of my friends travel from city to city several times a week. None of us have children anymore. My boys are grown now. I'm just tutoring and self-educating.

None of us have cars and it's tough sometimes. You'll need a shopping cart on wheels and/or a backpack with an internal frame to get some weight off your shoulders and onto your hips.

If you aren't rich, you basically need to camp out and live a very minimalist lifestyle. It's kind of like living in a tree-fort. :lol:

Food is not more expensive or cheaper, but it's DIFFERENT. I have to really scavenge for food, hitting store after store, ethnic holes in the wall and farmer's markets, to get the cheap prices. I end out eating as seasonally as a farmer, and have to sometimes wave away insects off the food, while trying to find produce that isn't frost slimed or infested.

My life is so different since my divorce. I've adapted and done what I need to do. My preference is to stay in the cities. I have developed an uncontrollable seizure disorder. I can't drive anymore, so walking and trains are my best option. It's getting cold. I arrive everywhere covered in sweat, but with earaches and my nose running, and sometimes smelling like a wet dog. I was told today, that my 45 year old body would make a 22 year old envy me, so...I guess there are perks :lol:

Yes, it can be done, but it's not glamorous. I recommend Dial antibacterial bodywash to keep the stink down, including on the hair :D

I love Bay Ridge! We have friends there with an adorable little house. It's from the 1920's, and just so great.

My best friend lives in Bay Ridge which is (IMHO) a fantastic urban neighborhood where rents are a bit cheaper. There are nice parks there as well but they are smaller and more along the edges of the neighborhood rather than the big, central park situation in Park Slope. But she is not naturally a city person, got priced out of Park Slope and ended up in Bay Ridge and now LOVES it there. She's raising two boys. I'm sure she'd be happy to talk with you about her neighborhood and about adjusting to live in NYC in general. PM me if you'd like me to put you in touch.

The downside to Bay Ridge is that it is kind of the outer reaches of Brooklyn. If you are looking to get into Manhattan for stuff, you'd do better to live in Jersey City, Hoboken or Newark. I live in NJ, you can PM me if you'd like to hear about urban-living options across the river that are an easy commute to Manhattan.

Food prices are always said to be high in NYC but, actually, food is cheaper in the New York area than anywhere else in the country. It is true that New Yorkers spend more on food than anyone else and this is the result of the same thing that makes our food cheaper: HUGE variety. You can find everything here--including very pricey gourmet options and lots of New Yorkers can afford that.

I think part of what makes the city expensive is the "keeping up with the Joneses" thing that is compounded by the fact that the Joneses are EVERYWHERE! It can feel like every single stroller you see is a Bugaboo and it's hard to buy a Graco. (I know you are beyond the stroller stage but you know what I mean?)

I think the city is fantastic. I love the country--it's great to visit. I kind of wish less people lived in it so we had more real country to visit! But my kids get a great education every time we walk out our door. I think it's great you are considering a move.