Menu

Help me narrow down our Christmas cookie choices

Swimtaxi234

UPDATE in post #17

We make little boxes with Christmas goodies to give to friends. This is what we made last year:

cookies3.jpg

I have too many choices this year and I need to reduce the list. If you were getting a box of goodies, which ones sound the best and/or which ones should I remove from the list? I want to make 4 at the most. (I tried to resize the photos - sorry they are so HUGE).

The Raspberry Almond Shortbread Thumbprints were a big hit last year.

cookies8.jpg

These Peanut Butter Balls were a big hit too.

peanutbutterballs.jpg

I haven't made these Homemade Gum Drops but they would be so cute in red and green.

wIMG_0820c.gif

I haven't made these Turtle Bars either, but they look so yummy.

turtle_bars5web.jpg

These Homemade Three Musketeers Bars look yummy too.

3musketeers-web4.jpg

Fudge is always easy to make and this Phat Cow Fudge look yummy and festive.

fudge.jpg

And my last choice is a Peppermint Thumbprint, maybe tinted green like the post suggestion.

peppermint_thumbprints_blog.jpg

Those all look delicious, but I think I'd do either the PB balls OR the Three Musketeers bars OR the turtle bars, not all.

I think I'd do one of the above three, the peppermint thumbprints, the almond thumbprints, and either the gumdrops OR the fudge. Or skip one of the thumbprints and go for a slightly different cookie -- a mint cut-out cookie, maybe?

Does any one have the recipe for soft christmas cookies that you use cookie cutters for and frost? And need the frosting recipe. I have lost the copy I got from my great grandma amongst our many moves.

I usually use Martha's recipe here: http://www.marthastewart.com/338471/basic-sugar-cookies

She uses icing (recipe on same link), but I just buy the canned frosting when it goes on sale.

There's something very WRONG about posting this before lunch... :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

I'm guessing that you would also think it was wrong that I had a piece after breakfast. :laugh: :laugh: The plate called to me in need of "quality control" or at least that is what I will tell my children if they ask. :closedeyes:

I tried the turtle bars. They turned ot more like a chocolate pecan pie bar. I searched other recipes and found that this was the only one using the addition of corn syrup, which I think was the problem.

I just wanted to mention it in case someone wants to try this recipe.

We made the gumdrops. They were a hit! Thanks for posting these.

We will be making just under 500 cookies, so wrapping them individually isn't possible, but thanks for the idea.

Two years ago, I made homemade carmels and wrapped them individually. It took forever to wrap them when I had so much other work to do.

But, you *could* bag each type of cookie before putting it in the box. There was a thread the other day about packaging holiday treats and someone linked this:

http://www.lollychops.com/lollychops/downloadable-stuff/page/3/

It would be easy to give away two or three types of cookies this way, each in their own plastic bag.

I tried the turtle bars. They turned ot more like a chocolate pecan pie bar. I searched other recipes and found that this was the only one using the addition of corn syrup, which I think was the problem.

I just wanted to mention it in case someone wants to try this recipe.

We made the gumdrops. They were a hit! Thanks for posting these.

Thanks for letting me know about the Turtle Bars. Those have moved further down on my list now and the gumdrops moved up on the list ... PLUS ... I have added another choice to my list. This one is super easy and yummy (mock Thin Mints - YUM).

I am so glad you liked them too.

Thanks for letting me know about the Turtle Bars. Those have moved further down on my list now and the gumdrops moved up on the list ... PLUS ... I have added another choice to my list. This one is super easy and yummy (mock Thin Mints - YUM).

You are welcome! Another note....we tried to double the gum drop recipe, using a 6 oz. box of store brand gelatin. It was a flop. I am not sure if it was the store brand or the doubling that caused the problem.

For the successful batch we made, we used the recipe as it was written and Jell-O gelatin.

• 2 weeks later...

We made the homemade gumdrops and I finally wrote a blog post about it. http://swimtaxi234.blogspot.com/2012/12/homemade-gumdrops.html

I let my jello liquid boil for several minutes because I had read that others had problems with the jello not setting (I didn't see the above post until last night which reminded me to write a post for my blog).