Menu

Books - do you ever...

I realize that I'm treading in very dangerous waters here, but I'll plunge in nonetheless........ do you ever color the black and white illustrations in books? I'm talking about paperback books, or other not-so-important kids' books, not antique books or anything like that! Do you ever feel like they could use a little bit of color, so you add a touch here and there?

I also realize I'll probably be kicked off the forum for life as punishment for even thinking about this :001_smile:, but I was curious to see if I'm the only one.

I mark up books, yes.

I don't know if I've ever taken colors to black and white drawings, but I've doodled in them with blue or red ink - for sure. I do a lot of highlighting (not just words, but the edges of the pages LOL) and line drawing and notetaking in my books. I encourage the kids to do the same. I have a hard time keeping people straight, even in shorter YA books so I always have a family tree-type diagram going on in the back interior cover page.

I do not, however, dog-ear pages. To me, that's the true sacrilege! :D

I mark up books, yes.

I don't know if I've ever taken colors to black and white drawings, but I've doodled in them with blue or red ink - for sure. I do a lot of highlighting (not just words, but the edges of the pages LOL) and line drawing and notetaking in my books. I encourage the kids to do the same. I have a hard time keeping people straight, even in shorter YA books so I always have a family tree-type diagram going on in the back interior cover page.

I used to - as a kid - dog ear the pages. Now I find dog eared pages to be very disturbing to my peace of mind! I go through old books and smooth all the turned back corners, but I don't mind coloring or writing in books.

I mark up books, yes.

:svengo: When I'm done reading a book, it looks brand new. There are no marks. There are no creases on the spine. It looks exactly as if someone picked up the book and gently riffled through it to check the font size and pictures. Dd9 bent the corner of one of my teacher's manuels when she was moving things off the table today. I was all, "Dd! This book will never be the same!"

I used to - as a kid - dog ear the pages. Now I find dog eared pages to be very disturbing to my peace of mind! I go through old books and smooth all the turned back corners, but I don't mind coloring or writing in books.

:D I can see I'm in great company!

:svengo: When I'm done reading a book, it looks brand new. There are no marks. There are no creases on the spine. It looks exactly as if someone picked up the book and gently riffled through it to check the font size and pictures. Dd9 bent the corner of one of my teacher's manuels when she was moving things off the table today. I was all, "Dd! This book will never be the same!"

:lol: I have a sister like you! It kills her to see me throw my book on the table, open, face-down instead of finding a bookmark. Spines are her thing, too LOL.

I realize that I'm treading in very dangerous waters here, but I'll plunge in nonetheless........ do you ever color the black and white illustrations in books? I'm talking about paperback books, or other not-so-important kids' books, not antique books or anything like that! Do you ever feel like they could use a little bit of color, so you add a touch here and there?

I also realize I'll probably be kicked off the forum for life as punishment for even thinking about this :001_smile:, but I was curious to see if I'm the only one.

:scared::svengo::thumbdown:

Just kidding. ;) Just don't do it to MY books.

I don't recall ever coloring in pictures, but as a child/teen, I frequently wrote notes in the margins of books I was reading. I don't really do that anymore because I have a notebook I use for that.

And when I find books at the used bookstore with someone's penciled in notes, it is a very fun, very interesting experience to me. I love to see how other people have interacted with books I'm reading. I don't think there's anything wrong with interacting with a book as long as it belongs to you. If it enriches your experience, that's a very good thing.

This is me!

I did, and my mother encouraged me to. She always said a well-worn book is a well-loved book. I was a late reader, but I loved books so much. When there was no one to read to me I would sit at the table (such as when mom was cooking) and add new pictures to the drawings in a favorite book while telling my mom what I was adding to the story, or I would color in line drawings. Mom had a couple rules: no coloring over words and certain books were special and not to be written in. I sometimes pull down one of these old books to read to my kids and the old stories I made up come back to me, and I get to share them with my new readers!

I did the same rules with my kids. Oddly enough, DS12, my early reader, never colored in books. DS7, my later reader, did the same as me.

I also don't mind annotations, highlighting, messed spines or dog-eared pages.

Yup, this is me, too.