Menu

Talk to me about logic stage physics

I'm looking toward next year, and even though secular bio and chem have been challenging to work out, I've found a good deal of materials to pull together. Physics just seems... lacking in comparison.

I went through TWTM last night and just came to accept that the best (easiest) way was just going to be expensive. And then I looked online and found that the pricey $36 kits have gone up to $45. The Supercharged Science kits don't appear to exist anymore. The T&K kits look fine on Amazon, but it's difficult to tell which kits are which, and how they differ.

I am looking at Exploration Education (recommended as an alternative) but I'd love to hear personal experiences.

I definitely want the whole hands-on experience, but I do need some sort of "program", preferably with reading and worksheets that will help dds build up to report writing. Our science cycle is "off", so I do not expect 8th grade output next year, but they're very eager to do the actual learning.

Edited by Carrie1234

I have actually posted our plan for Physics on my blog this summer. So far it is going pretty well. Some of the kits we are using because we already owned them. They may be to easy for some kids. However, they all have been a good starting point for us and led us down the path to more explorations.

Here is the link to the post.

http://learnonpurpose.blogspot.com/2012/07/rethinking-science-again.html

:bigear:

I'm working on a plan for this too, and have changed my mind repeatedly, so I'm eager to hear what others do. Physics is the only science we haven't "done" so far.

I have the T&K PowerHouse kit - got it as a gift. I think we'd enjoy it and learn a lot from it, but it isn't systematic or complete enough to be "it"

I have the Hakim Story of Science books, which cover a lot of Physical Science. I'm considering getting the Quest guide and seeing if this feels like a solid enough science program, supplemented (for chemistry) with some McHenry units. But again, it doesn't quite feel like enough to feel that physics is covered - at least not in the traditional way.

I have a couple of Eyewitness/DK type beautifully illustrated physics books. Our library has lots of great books on all the subtopics of physics. So one approach I've considered is just lining out the major topics using one of the books I own as a spine, and then getting books and videos from the library. But I know if I don't have something that lines out hands-on activities for me, they won't get done.

We like LOF, so I'm thinking about using the new Physics book along with one of the above options.

And sometimes I look at CPO or something, and think - oh, it would be easy to just use a textbook! Just this once, for this one topic I feel insecure about! :D

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how others are approaching logic stage physics!

So I thought I'd check with dd to see which approach appealed to her the most: What about Story of Science?

"Oh, yeah, I love those books. We definitely have to do that."

What about LOF Physics?

"I love LOF! You know that! We have to do this book!"

What about DK/Eyewitness spine supplemented with library books and videos?

"Oh, yeah, that would be great. I love those books, and I love the Bill Nye videos and The Way Things Work videos. Can we do the Power House Kit, too? I love hands-on stuff."

I showed her the Exploration Education sample:

"Oh, this looks fun! Can we do this?"

Sure, sweetie! We'll do science 3 hours a day. No problem! :D:001_huh::lol::lol::lol:

Both of my older boys, who are interested and motivated science learners, did physics in seventh grade and we used Paul Hewitt's Conceptual Physics. And both now say that it was one of the best curriculums we did in terms of learning and in terms of later usefulness. My tenth grader is finding that his classmates (he's taking physics without calc this year and will take the SAT 2 in physics in the spring) all struggle more with the concepts than he does. Success!

In Conceptual Physics, the concepts are presented with very helpful photos and wonderful descriptions that help the student to grasp the concept. There is math, simple algebra, like the distance formula, that is optional in the end of chapter questions, if you choose to use it.

I also purchased the lab manual and some simple equipment to use for home demonstrations. It was fun! Physics labs are generally easy to do at home, compared to other sciences.

Both of my older boys, who are interested and motivated science learners, did physics in seventh grade and we used Paul Hewitt's Conceptual Physics. And both now say that it was one of the best curriculums we did in terms of learning and in terms of later usefulness. My tenth grader is finding that his classmates (he's taking physics without calc this year and will take the SAT 2 in physics in the spring) all struggle more with the concepts than he does. Success!

In Conceptual Physics, the concepts are presented with very helpful photos and wonderful descriptions that help the student to grasp the concept. There is math, simple algebra, like the distance formula, that is optional in the end of chapter questions, if you choose to use it.

I also purchased the lab manual and some simple equipment to use for home demonstrations. It was fun! Physics labs are generally easy to do at home, compared to other sciences.

I just picked up an old edition - the 5th, I think - at a book sale for $1. I love it! I've toyed with the idea of doing this with dd, but I was thinking maybe in 8th grade, rather than 6th . . . good to hear it worked well with your 7th grader. I will have to look into a more recent edition and the lab manual.

Another resource suggestion... When I did physics with my elementary schoolers, we used a lot of the Boston Children's Museum Activity Books. They require a lot of set up and work in places, but they're so much more in depth than something like the Janice Van Cleave books with a lot more discovery - less demo experiments and more play around and discover concepts experiments. We really only scratched the surface and simplified many of the projects so I'm looking forward to revisiting them and doing more when we get to middle school and do physics again.

We are using Mr. Q Physics as our base/spine, and adding in videos, science kits, and other activities. The content is pretty basic, but I wasn't trying to be especially rigorous this year for science. The kits I added are:

Engino Simple Machines (comes with some activities and tables to fill out for basic labs)

Snap Circuits Green (we already have the 750)

T&K Light and Optics

Klutz Solar Car

TOPS magnetism and electricity

T&K Chem 1000 for a short chem unit at the end of the year

Another resource suggestion... When I did physics with my elementary schoolers, we used a lot of the Boston Children's Museum Activity Books. They require a lot of set up and work in places, but they're so much more in depth than something like the Janice Van Cleave books with a lot more discovery - less demo experiments and more play around and discover concepts experiments. We really only scratched the surface and simplified many of the projects so I'm looking forward to revisiting them and doing more when we get to middle school and do physics again.

:iagree: These are great books! I'm slowly collecting them myself.

The Story of Science + Stop Faking It! series are excellent for physics in the middle grades.

:001_wub: Stop Faking It! Why have I never seen this before?

You know what it looks like? It looks like what Nebel is trying to do with BFSU - but well organized, clear, and easy to use!!! How absolutely cool is that?????

You made my day! :D:D

We use Exploration Education and have loved it. Everything comes in the box! The experiments work. The explanation is good. There is a workbook that goes with it. The student can do all the activities alone (just be sure to direct him/her as to the proper use of the hot glue gun).

We are doing it in conjunction with Conceptual Physics, but be aware Conceptual Physics is a high school text. Algebra is required for some of the problems. So depending on your kid, it might be just right or too much. Exploration Education, on the other hand, comes in a beginner (elementary), intermediate (middle school), and advanced version (high school).