Menu

Is there anything else like an ipod touch?

I've only seen one briefly, but it's like a smartphone without the phone right?

Are there other (maybe android?) devices like this?

Yes, it is like the iPhone without the phone and 3G. You have to be on wifi to connect.

I know there are some android devices, but hopefully someone else who is familiar will chime in here.

Thanks!

DS has asked for an iPod for Christmas, and I wanted to see what else was out there before I decided. The Galaxy player looks like a contender. Now I just need to research which features might matter most to ds and make comparisons. He did say he hoped it had a decent camera (However, he has a nice little Panasonic point and shoot, and my old entry level dslr...).

iTunes has it's appeal, but the iPod doesn't support flash content (according to what I've found). We'll have to see if that's an issue and if so, how much of one it might be.

My son can play Netflix and YouTube on his ipod touch. The only things he can't play are Adobe Flash based content, which hasn't been an issue yet for him.

I can't play CBS shows on my ipad, which is also very annoying , but doesn't bother the kids at all.

We LOVE our ipod touch and ipad. To us, the answer to your question would be "no, there is NOTHING like an iAnything!" :D

Dawn

PS: And with an ipod touch 4 or 5, you can get an app to make calls from it in wifi, making it an "iphone" in wifi range! All texting is free in wifi as well.

Thanks!

DS has asked for an iPod for Christmas, and I wanted to see what else was out there before I decided. The Galaxy player looks like a contender. Now I just need to research which features might matter most to ds and make comparisons. He did say he hoped it had a decent camera (However, he has a nice little Panasonic point and shoot, and my old entry level dslr...).

iTunes has it's appeal, but the iPod doesn't support flash content (according to what I've found). We'll have to see if that's an issue and if so, how much of one it might be.

Since Apple just released the 5th generation Touch you can buy the 4th generation for less. Also consider refurbished from Apple. Cheaper, free shipping and same warranty as new. My kids all have 2nd generation Touches. We've had them for years and they are still going strong!

Thanks!

Best buy will have the galaxy player for $100 on black Friday

Thanks for the heads-up on the Galaxy player. I'm considering it for me. I don't know if flash compatibility would be an issue for ds or not, but it might be for me.

Of course, what I could really use is a small tablet, so might get a Nexus 7 instead. I have a purse, and don't mind carrying something a little bigger.

He really wants an ipod, and I'll probably just get him one. My niece really loves hers, and I'm sure he'll use it a lot. (It wasn't about the money--just wanted to be sure of what else was out there before getting something.)

The Flash Player issue extends to new Androids also. You can "manually" install it to new devices, but it can't be downloaded from most Android stores. Flash Player just isn't made to work on these devices.

This would apply to the Nexus 7 too then right?

I'm thinking flash is that awkward in-between software on its way out and in a couple years these issues will disappear. I'm not going to worry about it too much then.