Menu

Wedgits...regular size or mini for 5.5-year-old?

http://www.amazon.com/mini-WEDGiTS-313157-eXPANnie/dp/B002J9935I/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1352047469&sr=8-6&keywords=mini+wedgits Look at this picture. You build with wedgits from the base up, and there's a lot of balancing and tucking things into small spaces. So when you're using the minis, you have a smaller base. The big ones feel very STABLE. You can get silly and build up big towers, etc. That's what my ds likes to do with them at least. If you have an older dc and they want to sit there and build the precise pictures (arms out, very intricate), that older dc isn't going to like the bigness of the regulars, so you go mini. But just to play with and explore, the regulars are going to be nicer. They're going to feel more stable, like you can just play around and try things.

If you're going to sit down and build with her and your goal is to build the things on the cards, either set is going to work. If she likes legos so much, she has the fine motor for it. So in that sense you really can't go wrong. Either one will work. The largers just bring in more of the stable play factor for the age. It's like the difference between Haba blocks and unit blocks. I've been looking at Haba blocks, but it's pretty clear they're meant for a slightly older market or the unusual younger dc who likes that extra fine motor challenge. In general, most kids are going to like unit blocks at that age. (I bought blocks for my ds for Christmas, so I was deciding!) My ds could have played with the Haba, because he has the fine motor. But I think he'll enjoy the stability of the larger pieces better.

I got the mini wedgits for my dd btw, not my ds. For younger kids, I'd go regular. But that's just me. Yours might be the particular dc for whom smaller is better. Do you have someone locally you could try them with?

Since it appears both mini and regular work with the cards I vote for mini. We had every regular set available 7 or so years ago. We loved them. My only complaint would be bulky to store and heavy boxes when stored. I think we have 2 large rubbermaid bins full. Stored for grandkids now. So obviously some of our best toys ever. I would have loved the small size of the minis for storage reasons. Looking at amazon makes me want them now!;)

See, that's what I was thinking too. The minis still look pretty big to me. And, we are a wee bit short on storage space these days. Still thinking. Hmm.

Thanks, everyone!!

We only have the regular, I didn't know they made the mini.

For a 5.5 year old with good fine motor skills I would go with the mini. They still look pretty big and easier to manage than many other building toys.