Menu

Enrichment class a bust and think my car just bit the bullett

I finally signed James up for an enrichment class through the homeschool charter. We get to the classroom and the wonderful instructor is chewing gum. James has a major aversion to gum chewing so we politely asked him to stop. He refused because he needs it to keep his wet mouth for the entire class. So we left. Went by the Visions office to let them know about the instructor not being accommodating. I considered it unprofessional but realize that he didn't have to accommodate a single person since it wasn't bothering anyone else. Just ticks me off.

On the way home, my 16 year old car takes a dump. Alternator light, fuel light go on, overheating, power steering gone. Turn on the heat to cool down the engine enough to get home. Made it, call hubby who is coming home to deal with it since he didn't want to go to work in the first place. He was at a 3 day conference and tired, so really didn't want to deal with the shop.

Kids and cars. Oy!

James has a major aversion to gum chewing so we politely asked him to stop. He refused because he needs it to keep his wet mouth for the entire class. So we left. Went by the Visions office to let them know about the instructor not being accommodating. I considered it unprofessional but realize that he didn't have to accommodate a single person since it wasn't bothering anyone else.

Oy!

Your request sounds over the top to me. You don't get to dictate what the teacher in charge has in his mouth.

:confused:

That is indeed a cr@ppy day. I have one with an aversion to chewing noises. I also have one who is on allergy medicines that make her mouth very dry. I can see both sides. Allergy girl would love to chew gum to keep her mouth moist. I really understand the teacher needing the gum. Unfortunately for allergy girl, she is also allergic to the gum. She carries a water bottle with her everywhere. The dry mouth is somewhat serious. It causes tooth decay. Being able to chew gum can pretty much get rid of that problem completely. Sorry for your kid. It is hard when they have to learn that their preference is not always top priority.

I finally signed James up for an enrichment class through the homeschool charter. We get to the classroom and the wonderful instructor is chewing gum. James has a major aversion to gum chewing so we politely asked him to stop. He refused because he needs it to keep his wet mouth for the entire class. So we left. Went by the Visions office to let them know about the instructor not being accommodating. I considered it unprofessional but realize that he didn't have to accommodate a single person since it wasn't bothering anyone else. Just ticks me off.

On the way home, my 16 year old car takes a dump. Alternator light, fuel light go on, overheating, power steering gone. Turn on the heat to cool down the engine enough to get home. Made it, call hubby who is coming home to deal with it since he didn't want to go to work in the first place. He was at a 3 day conference and tired, so really didn't want to deal with the shop.

Kids and cars. Oy!

Sorry you are having a bad day.

Yes, it is unprofessional for a teacher to be chewing gum, but while it is obvious to some of us, you still can't bring it up without looking like you are the problem.

Same with the perfume. I have to leave so many places because people just cannot help themselves and must pour it on. No one cares though.

I hope you find another place. No one chews gum at my kid's co-op. It's in the rulebook!

I've taught large groups for many years. Projecting the voice so that those in the back of the room can hear puts stress on the throat and vocal chords. Gum does indeed help keep my throat moistened so that I can talk for an hour or so. I don't understand why the instructor should have accommodated your child in that way. Perhaps it isn't the most professional choice, but it gets the job done.

Does your child have issues that make him unable to accommodate someone else's needs? (In this case, the teacher's need to keep his throat moist)

I am sorry about your car. That stinks, I know.

Edited by TammyH

Guest submarines

I wonder how university professors (just as an example) have been managing for centuries without chewing gum? :confused:

I wouldn't have asked a lecturer not to chew, but my respect for him or her would've plummeted.

I'm finding it hard to feel sympathetic about the gum chewing. Dumping the class over the gum chewing seems excessive, but totally a personal choice. I accept that I may not comprehend how distracting it could be. But taking your son to the office to rat out the instructor was over the top, I think.

I'm "gobsmacked"...I can't imagine... :001_huh:

Kids and cars. Oy!

Sorry about your car...sounds like you might have lost a belt...hopefully you didn't crack the block by continuing to drive it after it overheated.

I grew up during a time period when gum chewing wasn't allowed in school and was also taught it was unprofessional to chew gum while conducting business of any kind. None of my university professors ever chewed gum during a class.

One thing I noticed it that he didn't have any water in the classroom. His choice. I asked, he explained why he wouldn't stop, so we left. End of story. I had to go the office to get my money back for the class, so of course I told them why. It is my son's problem and one we have to deal with. I don't expect everyone to cater to it. Nor do I expect everyone to understand why its an issue for him. Just think of 100 people chewing their meals noisily with their mouths open. Kind of like fingernails on the chalkboard for him. In most instances, he can simply turn his back or look away. But when it is the person in charge who you have to pay attention too and this is a big distraction, then it's pointless to stay.

Life with a sensory sensitive kid is interesting, sometimes they react to the most peculiar things. I deal with it as it comes. Unfortunately, now I have to take gum chewing teachers into account.

I grew up during a time period when gum chewing wasn't allowed in school and was also taught it was unprofessional to chew gum while conducting business of any kind. None of my university professors ever chewed gum during a class.

One thing I noticed it that he didn't have any water in the classroom. His choice. I asked, he explained why he wouldn't stop, so we left. End of story. I had to go the office to get my money back for the class, so of course I told them why. It is my son's problem and one we have to deal with. I don't expect everyone to cater to it. Nor do I expect everyone to understand why its an issue for him. Just think of 100 people chewing their meals noisily with their mouths open. Kind of like fingernails on the chalkboard for him. In most instances, he can simply turn his back or look away. But when it is the person in charge who you have to pay attention too and this is a big distraction, then it's pointless to stay.

Life with a sensory sensitive kid is interesting, sometimes they react to the most peculiar things. I deal with it as it comes. Unfortunately, now I have to take gum chewing teachers into account.

Ah. I'm on my phone and can't trim the quote without cussing, but I missed that you may had had another reason to go to the office.

Did you mention to the instructor that your son has sensory issues?

If an "average" kid didn't like my gum chewing as a teacher, I would be :001_huh:??? If I knew the kid had sensory issues, it would be a different situation and I would be accommodating.

FWIW, I don't chew gum in public and don't favor DD doing it. I was raised it was impolite (actually "not ladylike"!). But I recognize most other people don't follow that guideline.

Just found out from one of the mother's of two kids (one with aspergers) who were in that class that after we left, one of the kids made fun of autistic kids, had half the class laughing and the instructor let it go on for a while. Her kids came home upset.

So in retrospect, glad we left. This instructor or the class would not have been a good fit for him.

Just found out from one of the mother's of two kids (one with aspergers) who were in that class that after we left, one of the kids made fun of autistic kids, had half the class laughing and the instructor let it go on for a while. Her kids came home upset.

So in retrospect, glad we left. This instructor or the class would not have been a good fit for him.

He doesn't sound like a fit instructor for anyone! That is just wrong. I'm sorry your friend's kids experienced that.

I wonder how university professors (just as an example) have been managing for centuries without chewing gum? :confused:

They have mineral water bottles near them and just take sips when necessary. Coffee and soda won't allowed for the lecturers and students due to spillage issues.

Do you equate sipping a soft drink / water to chewing a gum while lecturing?

Yes and no. Once I start lecturing, my gum would be tucked into my cheek where it would encourage my mouth to produce saliva. Unless you saw me chew prior to class starting, you wouldn't know it was there. Who's to say this instructor wouldn't do the same?

Though after that last bit of info, I think mytwoblessings and her son dodged a bad situation.

(and with that I'm out)

Edited by TammyH