Menu

DD is interested in a stringed instrument...lap harp, dulcimer, guitar?

Dd has taken an interest in musical instruments and is requesting something for her 10th birthday next month. She was mainly interested in a stringed instrument, something she could play around with and teach herself (maybe with a book or DVD to help).

She has incredibly long fingers, but she is also awkward when using her hands. I don't know if that makes any sense or not, but I don't know how to describe it. I have tried to teach her how to crochet many times, but she can't seem to understand how to properly hold a hook, no many how many times I show her. She's that way about using her knife at the table, too. Even the way she holds her pencil is strange, but she has beautiful penmanship, so I don't rock the boat.

I am trying to help her find an instrument that will help her with manual dexterity, but be fairly simple and straight- forward, so she doesn't have to worry about "doing it wrong.". (Her words, not mine)

I was thinking lap harp or perhaps even a dulcimer as potential possibilities. She was thinking about a guitar, but I'm not sure that would be the best beginner instrument for her. I think she would gain the most confidence with something that she could set down and strum, rather than trying to hold a guitar properly while positioning her hands and strumming at the same time. I would love for her to move into a guitar at some point, but I think right now it would just frustrate her.

Any suggestions, advice, BTDT stories?

Guest submarines

We had an inexpensive lap harp, and it was very difficult to tune it. We were not able to tune it by ear (we are not very musical) and it was going out of tune literally within minutes.

So this is my BTDT story. :001_smile:

I think she would gain the most confidence with something that she could set down and strum, rather than trying to hold a guitar properly while positioning her hands and strumming at the same time. I would love for her to move into a guitar at some point, but I think right now it would just frustrate her.

The only instrument I can think of where she can set down and strum is the Guzheng (chinese instrument) and a good one is pretty costly.

I could support a ladies guitar comfortable with my thigh while sitting and strum easily. I learn guitar playing mainly from Girl Scouts. The ladies guitar is smaller than a normal guitar but okay for starters.

Another string instrument that you can look at is the ukelele. It is smaller than the guitar, cheaper and easier to support.

My daughter taught herself the ukulele. My husband is learning the mandolin with lessons. Both of these instruments are pleasant to hear even when someone is learning, so they get bonus points in my book. It's not like suffering through beginners on a violin, piano, or trumpet. :D

They do both remark that thy find a LOT more online lessons and chords for the guitar.

I thought my kid would be better suited to the violin than the guitar. After 5 awful years of lessons we signed her up for guitar. She plays it every chance she gets. I learned my lesson. If a kid shows an interest in a particular instrument, let them try THAT instrument. Guitar is great! My dd asked for a ukelele for her birthday and taught herself to play it. We love listening to the happy music she plays on both instruments.

Guitar is very versatile and I think it's a great instrument even for beginners b/c it sounds GOOD right away. :)

Harps are insanely expensive. INSANELY. A set of replacement strings for dd's concert grand harp is $450. That is just the strings. The many hours of labor to replace them is on her. Tuning harps is a PITA.

I don't know much about a lap harp, but I can't see it being much fun for later/performing/etc. I'd think the temptation would be, if she loves it, and works hard in it, to move up to a normal harp. Unless you can afford the massive investment involved, I wouldn't open that door. (Full size harp is about 20k minimum, and at least 1k/yr for strings and basic maintenance on average. Lessons, etc are also very expensive. And, you need a big vehicle . . . If I knew these things before dd15 fell in love with the harp, we'd be a lot richer now, lol. Instead, we have a lot of money in instruments. :glare:)

Guitars are very affordable. You can get a nice sounding one for under $200 and strings are a few dollars. A college-conservatory quality one is still just $2-3k. (Which is a bargain compared to most instruments!)

I'd go with guitar. If she enjoys it, she can easily get a basic skill set to be able to play simple tunes, etc. If she loves it and has talent, there are many directions to go, and many opportunites to play/perform/be social/etc.

Guitar also just sounds lovely.

If you go with a steel string / acoustic guitar, she'll be able to play folk/rock/kids type music readily, and the dexterity isn't as huge an issue since the fingerings on the left hand are more simple (chord formations mostly) and the right hand uses a pick, so that's pretty simple. If you want more challenge for dexterity, or if you are particularly attracted to classical music, go with classical guitar. It is a incredible instrument. Truly beautiful to listen to as well (as is the harp!)

If you are interested in Old Time music and live in an area where opportiunites to play with others exist, you could consider a hammer dulcimer. They are pretty awesome. Not cheap, but not harp-level, either. Old time music is really fun if you live in an area where folks play. It's also very affordable as lessons tend to be very cheap and most playing opportunities (jams/workshops/festivals/etc) are free!

The little man began mandolin this fall. It is nice, because there is plenty of music that you can pick. Picking sounds nice even on beginner songs. While you are picking, you can be learning chords to strum. Check out Sierra Hull and Sarah Jarosz for fabulous young female mandolin players! Chris Thile is the man. For just some good bluegrass my little guy really likes a young lady named AJ Lee.

He also plays violin and that wasn't nearly as easy on the ears in the beginning. :)

Mandy, who has quickly become a mandolin fan

Guitar is very versatile and I think it's a great instrument even for beginners b/c it sounds GOOD right away. :)

Harps are insanely expensive. INSANELY. A set of replacement strings for dd's concert grand harp is $450. That is just the strings. The many hours of labor to replace them is on her. Tuning harps is a PITA.

I don't know much about a lap harp, but I can't see it being much fun for later/performing/etc. I'd think the temptation would be, if she loves it, and works hard in it, to move up to a normal harp. Unless you can afford the massive investment involved, I wouldn't open that door. (Full size harp is about 20k minimum, and at least 1k/yr for strings and basic maintenance on average. Lessons, etc are also very expensive. And, you need a big vehicle . . . If I knew these things before dd15 fell in love with the harp, we'd be a lot richer now, lol. Instead, we have a lot of money in instruments. :glare:)

Guitars are very affordable. You can get a nice sounding one for under $200 and strings are a few dollars. A college-conservatory quality one is still just $2-3k. (Which is a bargain compared to most instruments!)

I'd go with guitar. If she enjoys it, she can easily get a basic skill set to be able to play simple tunes, etc. If she loves it and has talent, there are many directions to go, and many opportunites to play/perform/be social/etc.

Guitar also just sounds lovely.

If you go with a steel string / acoustic guitar, she'll be able to play folk/rock/kids type music readily, and the dexterity isn't as huge an issue since the fingerings on the left hand are more simple (chord formations mostly) and the right hand uses a pick, so that's pretty simple. If you want more challenge for dexterity, or if you are particularly attracted to classical music, go with classical guitar. It is a incredible instrument. Truly beautiful to listen to as well (as is the harp!)

If you are interested in Old Time music and live in an area where opportiunites to play with others exist, you could consider a hammer dulcimer. They are pretty awesome. Not cheap, but not harp-level, either. Old time music is really fun if you live in an area where folks play. It's also very affordable as lessons tend to be very cheap and most playing opportunities (jams/workshops/festivals/etc) are free!

On the subject of harps, I agree with the bolded in regard to concert/pedal harps. However, folk/Celtic harps tend to be much less expensive. I am currently looking at new harp that would be an upgrade for me that would cost less than $600.

Mandy, do you have any recommendations for good mandolin books? My violin playing son recently bought a mandolin (for fun) and has just been getting tips from youtube and playing his violin music.

Sorry, I have no recs for books. Ds started in Aug with an instructor who uses loose copies of whatever music he is teaching and is teaching chords, ear training sort of stuff without any sort of sheet music. Ds is wanting to learn bluegrass/ Irish jig, footstompin' music specifically, so the instructor is tailoring the lessons.

FWIW, I have looked on YouTube and there is a lot out there. Matt Raum has some instructional videos and a link to print out the accompanying sheet music that we looked at. Your ds can also pick his violin music on the mandolin. This is what ds was doing for the couple of weeks between when he got the mandolin and when he started lessons.

However, I am in no way musical. I don't think I would take my advice about what to do for instruction. :)

Mandy

Thanks for all of your advice and input! Dd was mainly gravitating toward a guitar because that's what she saw in the Christmas gift catalogs. I showed her some YouTube videos of the different instruments being played, so she could get an idea of sound and technique needed.

She chose....the ukulele!

It looks like such a gentle, fun instrument to learn to play. Dd was entralled with it and is already practicing the strumming style.

Thank you so much for your help on this one!