Menu

How can PS change a child's class placement without notifying the parents?

One of my friends posted on facebook that they had open house at her DD's school last night-and she was pleased to find out that since her DD is reading 2 years above grade level, they're sending her to a higher grade level for reading.

My question is-shouldn't she have already known this? Apparently only a few kids are pulled out for reading, so it's not a case where everyone is changing classes for reading, and if your child happens to have the same reading teacher as homeroom teacher, that's just how the dice fell.

It just bothers me. My DD had pullouts because of her IEP when she was in PS, but I knew about them and indeed had to sign off on them as part of the IEP process.

Perhaps for them, this falls under curriculum choices. School don't discuss lesson plans with the parents for each day. Little Johnny is reading from the ABC book but little Suzie is reading from the DEF book. To them, it's just where they are and it's their responsibility to cover that subject with the child regardless of which book the child is reading. That's a possible scenario I suppose. FWIW, I learned after the fact that one of my kids was getting her math work from a different teacher. I wasn't bothered at all. I was just happy they were actually meeting my child's needs.

This happened to us when we were in ps when my dd was 6. I was not happy. And then trying to get info from the referring reading teacher about the change was like pulling nose hairs!!! It became a "big thing" and all I ever wanted was information about why - what testing did they do, what did they find in the evaluation, how did they make the decision, was it just one person's recommendation? No one would tell me. It was the 2nd month of 1st grade and it was one of the top 3 reasons that we decided to homeschool her (we pulled her out within about 2 weeks of all this).

Later, as in like a year later, I ran into a parent who remembered me and told me that the reason they pulled out a bunch of kids into a particular reading class was because of SPACE not because of any sort of evaluations or testing! (Her child had had the same thing happen).

Is it possible that she hasn't been pulled out for reading yet, but will be? I'm surprised that the girl hasn't told her mother already. When my son was sent to the library to do reading with the librarian, he told me as soon as I arrived to pick him up. The teacher did explain it to me then, but I don't think she would have said anything if I hadn't asked.

Perhaps for them, this falls under curriculum choices. School don't discuss lesson plans with the parents for each day.

:iagree: The child was placed in a different reading group that matches her ability; the reading group happens to be taught by a different teacher in a different room. The Open House usually takes place after teachers have had some time to assess student ability, so it's likely that it is a recent change and the teacher took the opportunity while parents were at the school to mention it to the families.

An IEP pull-out is a different situation because all IEPs must address the purpose/necessity of instructional time spent outside regular classroom instruction. This isn't legally necessary for a typical child put into a higher level reading group.

Cat

An IEP pull-out is a different situation because all IEPs must address the purpose/necessity of instructional time spent outside regular classroom instruction. This isn't legally necessary for a typical child put into a higher level reading group.

:iagree: Pull outs for subjects are just differentiated instruction based on ability. I just expect all teachers in my kids B&M school to come into contact with them, after all the subject teacher for the higher grades had sub for kindergarten when the teacher was unfortunately delayed getting to school.

If the school moved my kid to a different class for all subjects than they would need to inform the parent/guardian.

Perhaps for them, this falls under curriculum choices. School don't discuss lesson plans with the parents for each day. Little Johnny is reading from the ABC book but little Suzie is reading from the DEF book. To them, it's just where they are and it's their responsibility to cover that subject with the child regardless of which book the child is reading. That's a possible scenario I suppose. FWIW, I learned after the fact that one of my kids was getting her math work from a different teacher. I wasn't bothered at all. I was just happy they were actually meeting my child's needs.

:iagree: My oldest was in PS for 2 years and I would have been thrilled to get some differentiated instruction. Some parents are more engaged in the classroom (volunteering regularly, in touch with the teacher often, etc) and some are less engaged. This doesn't seem that odd to be, and it does make sense that things would be more laid out in black and white for a child with a IEP.