Menu

FREE Study Skills Lectures

I just discovered a wonderful series of free, in-depth study skills lectures on YouTube by Professor Scott Brueckner of Long Beach City College that I wanted to pass along. While they are geared toward college students, much of the info is applicable to high schoolers as well.

There are about a dozen lectures, each about 45-50 minutes, that cover the following topics: Active Listening, Taking Better Lecture Notes, Great Ways to Study, Organizing Your Study Time, Parts 1 & 2, How to Predict Test Questions, Preparing for Tests, Test-Taking Skills, More Test-Taking Skills, How to Remember For Tests, Memory Tricks, More Memory Tricks, Habits of Successful College Students.

The first in the lecture series is

, and then you can easily find the next ones in the series. This is the only one I've watched all the way through so far (I watched it with my 7th & 10th graders yesterday), and it was appropriate for both of them. I only caught snippets of the other lectures, but they all looked good, too. We plan to watch them over the next few weeks. I'll preview them first to make sure they're appropriate/relevant, but if they're all like the first lecture, then I expect great content and very practical tips for students.

I just discovered a wonderful series of free, in-depth study skills lectures on YouTube by Professor Scott Brueckner of Long Beach City College. T

opics: Active Listening, Taking Better Lecture Notes, Great Ways to Study, Organizing Your Study Time, Parts 1 & 2, How to Predict Test Questions, Preparing for Tests, Test-Taking Skills, More Test-Taking Skills, How to Remember For Tests, Memory Tricks, More Memory Tricks, Habits of Successful College Students.

The first in the lecture series is

, a.

Thank you very much for this! We are trying to learn study skills here and have been watching some Great Courses memory tricks, and mental math tricks.

Thought the dictation portion of the Listening Skills course was great! That's one of the things we (WTMers) are trying to teach our kids as far as basic skills in WWE - listening, holding things in your head, being able to then write them down from memory. So, WWE-level skills not only help with writing later, they help with LISTENING & thus taking notes & learning from a lecture.

Thanks for this link!

• 3 weeks later...