Menu

Which should I choose for a 10-year award from work?

Which should I choose as a ten-year award from work?  

1. 1. Which should I choose as a ten-year award from work?

• A $200 gift check
    • A Dooney & Bourke Medium Chiara Handbag
    • A set of matching appliances (coffee pot, blender, toaster, can opener)
    • A pretty watch

I have been at my job for 10 years now and get to choose an "award." I have already decided against the things like golf clubs and such. I am down to four choices and can't decide which way to go.

If i get the gift check, I will probably put that toward buying something for the kids like school books or clothes. I need a new toaster. I have never spent more than $10 on a bag. And of course I would never buy myself a watch that was pretty instead of just functional. So, practical or self-indulgent? Help me decide.

Thanks for helping.

I have been at my job for 10 years now and get to choose an "award." I have already decided against the things like golf clubs and such. I am down to four choices and can't decide which way to go.

If i get the gift check, I will probably put that toward buying something for the kids like school books or clothes. I need a new toaster. I have never spent more than $10 on a bag. And of course I would never buy myself a watch that was pretty instead of just functional. So, practical or self-indulgent? Help me decide.

Thanks for helping.

I would take the cash, but buy something specific that is kind of a bit of a luxory for you, so you will remember it as special thing that reminds you of your dedication. I can't imagine wanting the other options. (I'm NOT a designer purse or fancy watch person and you can get the appliances for cheaper than $200!) Try hard NOT to let it be absorbed into the normal budget!

Guest Virginia Dawn

I would take the cash. I also wouldn't spend it on the children unless it was absolutely necessary. I would use it to buy things that I've wanted but aren't in the budget.

I say take the money! Why should you feel guilty spending it on you when it's YOUR award for your TEN years of hard work?! You owe it to yourself to get yourself something nice! I agree with the other ladies: Buy a toaster, a nice watch, a decent bag and a spa treatment and/or massage!

Cash, please.

Put it somewhere and contemplate what you want to splurge on.

I've had some money from my writing endeavors put away for over a year. Couldn't think of something significant I really wanted to buy. (My dh keeps me well supplied with books, gardening supplies, fancy foods, and pretty jewelry. ;)) After a year, I finally decided I wanted a pretty chaise for our patio. I sit out there a lot. When I found one on sale, I knew what to do. Fortunately, I still have some cash in reserve to continue my contemplations. :D

You could invest it and reap rewards in ten or twenty or thirty more years.

I voted for the check, but if it were me, this would be my fun money. The daily budget would never see it! No spending it on homeschool books {unless for your own self education, and books you want}. And, if you wanted a "remembrance" gift for your job, I would spend a little amount on that and then use the rest for something I needed or if I was really feeling indulgent, wanted! Have fun!

I said the watch....My Granny has a watch she got for 30 years at her employer and it is beautiful....I covet it everytime I see it. LOL And I am like you....If I got the cash I would spend it on bills or the kids...that's just the way I am. I'm not really a purse person...and would feel stupid carrying an expensive handbag...I think they are SUCH a waste of money. I can't remember if there were other options but my choice is still the watch...LOL

Whenever you check the time you'll be reminded of the ten years of service and feel good about the recognition it represents. It is also something that will be only yours and it will (with proper care barring any defects or accidents) last longer than the handbag. Pretty jewelry is something most of us don't buy for ourselves, and to me that would be a real reward. You are the one that has earned this, so don't feel guilty to get something just for you that you will really enjoy and appreciate.

Second vote would be take the cash, but buy something along these lines that you choose personally for yourself. Don't spend it on anyone else!!

Blessings,

Lucinda