Menu

Comm College classes during the summer?

Does anyone have children that attend a CC over the summer and knock out a class?

With my dd's first foray into public school, I'm realizing she will not have the time to devote to her academics like she used to. By this I mean the hours spent outside the house are much, much higher than ever before. For example, marching band takes about 25 hours a week. Thankfully, it's only one semester, and then she'll take concert band at a reasonable 5 hours a week. She also has choir, which is usually 5 hours a week, although in the two weeks before a concert it blooms to 15 hours.

This would be fine if she were taking 6 credits, but she is taking more than that, and doesn't want to get rid of any academic classes, either.

So...what about taking science at the CC during the summer? This is really the only class that would work, since her AP courses (through PA Homeschoolers) only meet during the school year. If she took, say, a semester of Chemistry at the CC during the summer, that would give her a full year's worth of high school credit, right?

Or, she could take Chemistry as an evening class during the 2nd semester (next year, 2014) which would take the place of her evening marching band drills in her schedule. Basically what's happening is that she wants too many classes than will reasonably fit into her day.

Is this making sense? For example, her Junior year (at this point) will look like this (her Freshman/Soph years look about the same):

Math - 5 hours/week (1 credit)

History - 5 hours/week (1 credit)

English - 5 hours/week (1 credit)

Latin - 5 hours (Lukeion) (1 credit)

Phil - 3 hours/week (.5 credit)

Gov't - 3 hours/week (.5 credit)

AP Human Geo - 5 hours (PA Homeschoolers) - 1 credit

SAT Prep/C.S. Lewis - (each for one semester) - 1 credit

Band - 5 hours a week (25 during 1st semester) - 1 credit (the school gives this credit, but I'm counting the class as extra-curricular. However, it still takes the same amount of time)

Choir - 5 hours a week (sometimes 15) - 1 credit (see band comment above)

So....we don't want to drop anything, just fit in Science!! :tongue_smilie:

Ds2 took a CC class over the summer. Actually, the 8-week (meeting twice as much per week) class started in mid-May and ended in late July.

Disadvantage --

1) the class began right as he was wrapping up AP exams. He still needed to finish up some other coursework and take an SAT-2 in June. He did not appreciate finishing an AP exam and turning right around and starting another class while still studying for the relevant SAT-2.

2) It crimped our ability to take a vacation! (The vacation had to happen in June.) We went anyway and he came a day or two later, but that was hard.

3) It prevented him from working that summer -- it was just enough hours for just enough weeks that it precluded him pursuing the summer job he wanted, which was a 8-5 thing. (The following summer he did the job rather than the CC.)

Advantage --

1) he was able to take a class that just would not have fit into his schedule during the year. He was also able to do a slightly lighter load during the fall, when he knew he would be away for over two weeks.

2) After the first three weeks of absolute craziness, he was able to really focus on that one class since it was his only class!

Ds2 took a CC class over the summer. Actually, the 8-week (meeting twice as much per week) class started in mid-May and ended in late July.

Disadvantage --

1) the class began right as he was wrapping up AP exams. He still needed to finish up some other coursework and take an SAT-2 in June. He did not appreciate finishing an AP exam and turning right around and starting another class while still studying for the relevant SAT-2.

2) It crimped our ability to take a vacation! (The vacation had to happen in June.) We went anyway and he came a day or two later, but that was hard.

3) It prevented him from working that summer -- it was just enough hours for just enough weeks that it precluded him pursuing the summer job he wanted, which was a 8-5 thing. (The following summer he did the job rather than the CC.)

Advantage --

1) he was able to take a class that just would not have fit into his schedule during the year. He was also able to do a slightly lighter load during the fall, when he knew he would be away for over two weeks.

2) After the first three weeks of absolute craziness, he was able to really focus on that one class since it was his only class!

Thank you! The disadvantages you listed would be mine, as well, particularly the vacation part. :tongue_smilie: We normally spend our summers in another city, which means we'd have to stay put and actually deal with the desert heat. :eek:

However, your advantages are exactly what I'm looking for. We NEED to lighten her load, at least during the fall semester. Knocking out science during the summer would be a huge help.

My dd will be taking an AP Psych test this spring, but not a SAT2 test, so we should be okay on that front. Hmmm....this is starting to get me a little excited that we don't have to compromise after all! :)

What else does she have on her summer agenda? It can work if it is her primary thing but it may be tough to juggle with a job.

Do you know what length sessions your community college offers? I've seen four week, six week, or eight week sessions. I'm wary of the shorter summer courses as a first college experience for most students. Yes, there are some teens that can handle it but for many the pace is just too fast and it is stressful. I'd be particularly cautious about math because it just takes some students more processing time.

What else does she have on her summer agenda? It can work if it is her primary thing but it may be tough to juggle with a job.

Do you know what length sessions your community college offers? I've seen four week, six week, or eight week sessions. I'm wary of the shorter summer courses as a first college experience for most students. Yes, there are some teens that can handle it but for many the pace is just too fast and it is stressful. I'd be particularly cautious about math because it just takes some students more processing time.

Barbara, thanks, and the length of the sessions is a good point. I don't know....I'd hope for an 8-week course, so she's not overwhelmed. Normally she wouldn't be working during the summer; we typically live in another city and it's more of a vacation situation, with most of her days spent sailing. With summer school, we'd stay home & she would pretty much only be doing school.

The two classes I'm considering are Chemistry & Biology (both with labs).

I'd hope for an 8-week course, so she's not overwhelmed. ...

The two classes I'm considering are Chemistry & Biology (both with labs).

Be aware that an 8 week course means that the material normally covered in a 16 week semester is covered at twice the speed, which translates into spending twice as much time daily on the subject.

For a college science course, we usually recommend to plan for two hours out of class work for every hour in class. A normal four hour course would require an extra eight hours at home, so 12 hours per week - during the regular semester. Doing it over the summer would greatly increase this time (although probably not quite double it).

I know that I would not want my high schooler to take two sciences over the summer; that would be equivalent to a full course load for a full time college student.

Consider an online community college course. Our local cc offers many, and you can come on campus for tutoring help (beyond emailing & their message board), and for tests.

Our local cc also networks with all the other state community colleges (& likely universities), so that you can take an online class from another state institution and it easily transfers.

Your mileage may vary, but it has allowed our kids to work around family vacations and work schedules. It requires the child to be self-disciplined and to pay detailed attention to every single deadline, but it's a great way to get a gen ed requirement completed! (Or help catch up if they're transferring and need a pre-requisite.)

Yes. We've done it often. Ds#3 took College Algebra this past summer. It was an online class taught by our local 4 year university. He took it online because he needed to take some time off for summer activities. He was able to complete the class easily even when factoring in doing extra work in order to be on schedule while he was at a summer camp.

This fall he is taking trigonometry. He says it is moving too slowly. I think he enjoyed focusing on one course and getting it done.

My oldest hammered out Physics 2 in the summer and my #2 is planning Chem 2 over the summer. Both courses required/will require a lot of time in class and lab. But the advantage is that they are only focusing on that one course which, IMO, helps the grades.

Can she take the courses in the area where you spend the summer? I wouldn't recommend Chemistry or Biology be taken online esp. if looking at a STEM major at a competitive college.

Edited by CynthiaOK

Can she take the courses in the area where you spend the summer? I wouldn't recommend Chemistry or Biology be taken online esp. if looking at a STEM major at a competitive college.

Ok, good, I'm glad this is looking very doable!

She is not planning on a STEM major, but she's only a Freshman so you never know. Right now her plan is to major in Classics with the idea of law school or graduate school. But lately she's become excited about Psychology due to her AP Psych class, so....:001_huh:

Taking the class on vacation would be great - we stay at a condo so it's not like we're hotel-hopping. But I want the class to count towards University, and the city we stay in is in another state. I'm not sure if those credits would count at our State U. Good idea, though. I'm not averse to staying home for two summers so she can get science taken care of. I think. :D

Edited by Elinor Everywhere
Typing too fast

Consider an online community college course. Our local cc offers many, and you can come on campus for tutoring help (beyond emailing & their message board), and for tests.

Our local cc also networks with all the other state community colleges (& likely universities), so that you can take an online class from another state institution and it easily transfers.

Your mileage may vary, but it has allowed our kids to work around family vacations and work schedules. It requires the child to be self-disciplined and to pay detailed attention to every single deadline, but it's a great way to get a gen ed requirement completed! (Or help catch up if they're transferring and need a pre-requisite.)

I would LOVE for her to do this! But it's a science class, with a lab, so I think that option is out. Rats!!

Younger DS did a 5-week summer school class at the CC this past summer. It was not for the purpose to knock off a class, but to re-take for audit the same American Sign Language class he had taken in the spring as a review/refresher in order to be prepared for the next level up this fall.

It was intense! 4 hours a day, 4 days a week. Plus, he had to accomplish 10 hours of language lab outside of class -- which was only offered 4 days a week. So, in essence, he had 4.5 or 5 hours of class/lab per day, 4 days a week, for 4 weeks, and then course review and finals in the last week. Whew! My head is still spinning from the idea of trying to jam that much material into DS's head in such a short time frame -- and this was REVIEW for him! Okay, granted that academics and study skills are NOT his strong suite, BUT... he was pretty much toast for the rest of the day for doing much of anything else.

An 8-week course would probably be do-able. A 5 week summer school course, especially if it is first exposure to the subject or material the student is not familiar with, or material the student is not strong in, might not be advisable.

Pros and cons I can think of:

pros

- can free up one 1-credit class in the summer for the following school year

- can take care of a pre-requisite to take the next level during the regular year at the CC (which may not be offered during the summer)

neutral

- specific types of students can do this; others can't (need to be focused, self-disciplined, and able to absorb a lot of material in a short time; also need to be the type who does NOT "hit the wall" and get stuck on a topic and can't move on for awhile)

- if extracurriculars/personal interests are available in the summer, may have more time and enjoyment of them done then

cons

- run the risk of burn out, with no summer break between busy/heavy high school years

- expensive (cost the same as regular semester) -- compared to holding off and just doing all CC dual enrollment classes in the senior year (12 units or more) in the regular semester, you start getting a price break

- time-consuming (on top of the hours sitting in the class each day, there is daily lab or homework)

- limits your schedule (can't afford to miss ANY class when it is "telescoped")

- if you don't "get" the material of one day, you quickly fall FAR behind unless you get help that day

On more option (AZ residents) to consider: Primavera online high school classes. FREE online classes; I know a number of high school students who have done the math with Primavera in the summer to get it out of the way so they can have an easier senior year, or ability to be involved in very time-consuming extracurriculars such as Drama or Band.

Edited by Lori D.

Younger DS did a 5-week summer school class at the CC this past summer. It was not for the purpose to knock off a class, but to re-take for audit the same American Sign Language class he had taken in the spring as a review/refresher in order to be prepared for the next level up this fall.

It was intense! 4 hours a day, 4 days a week. Plus, he had to accomplish 10 hours of language lab outside of class -- which was only offered 4 days a week. So, in essence, he had 4.5 or 5 hours of class/lab per day, 4 days a week, for 4 weeks, and then course review and finals in the last week. Whew! My head is still spinning from the idea of trying to jam that much material into DS's head in such a short time frame -- and this was REVIEW for him! Okay, granted that academics and study skills are NOT his strong suite, BUT... he was pretty much toast for the rest of the day for doing much of anything else.

An 8-week course would probably be do-able. A 5 week summer school course, especially if it is first exposure to the subject or material the student is not familiar with, or material the student is not strong in, might not be advisable.

Pros and cons I can think of:

pros

- can free up one 1-credit class in the summer for the following school year

- can take care of a pre-requisite to take the next level during the regular year at the CC (which may not be offered during the summer)

neutral

- specific types of students can do this; others can't (need to be focused, self-disciplined, and able to absorb a lot of material in a short time; also need to be the type who does NOT "hit the wall" and get stuck on a topic and can't move on for awhile)

- if extracurriculars/personal interests are available in the summer, may have more time and enjoyment of them done then

cons

- run the risk of burn out, with no summer break between busy/heavy high school years

- expensive (cost the same as regular semester) -- compared to holding off and just doing all CC dual enrollment classes in the senior year (12 units or more) in the regular semester, you start getting a price break

- time-consuming (on top of the hours sitting in the class each day, there is daily lab or homework)

- limits your schedule (can't afford to miss ANY class when it is "telescoped")

- if you don't "get" the material of one day, you quickly fall FAR behind unless you get help that day

On more option (AZ residents) to consider: Primavera online high school classes. FREE online classes; I know a number of high school students who have done the math with Primavera in the summer to get it out of the way so they can have an easier senior year, or ability to be involved in very time-consuming extracurriculars such as Drama or Band.

Thanks, Lori, I was hoping you'd chime in! Your cons are important, especially the burnout. I would not wish that on her. She can't take an online class because we are talking about science, and she needs a lab.

It is, indeed, band which is causing the problem. I never expected 25+ hours a week! I don't recall marching band taking up so much of my time when I was in school, but maybe it did.

What if......think with me here. Currently her marching band is an hour a day (school day time), plus Tue/Thur for 2.5 hours each night, and Friday night games (about 5-6 hours). In the 25 hours a week for band I didn't include competitions on Saturdays, which are about 10 hours, so that brings us to 35 hours a week (easily, as it doesn't included pep rallies, homecoming parade, jv games now and then, etc).

Now, 2nd semester that all goes away. What if she were to take science at the CC during 2nd semester? There are evening classes that meet Tue/Thur nights, with a lab class on Monday nights. So essentially, the cc class would be replacing marching band nights. Obviously she will have homework, but she will gain back all those Friday/Saturday hours.

Do you think this is feasible? Do you think having the course spread out over a semester instead of 8 weeks (or 5!) would make it much more doable?

My dd is a go-getter, and a get-things-done type of gal. She's naturally smart, but also quite the social bug, so she's working hard on time management skills. At almost 15, this is a process. :tongue_smilie:

If she takes a science class at the CC-- make sure it is an 'Introductory Chem or Bio' class and not the 'regular one'. A regular college Chemistry or Biology class at the CC will expect that the student has had at least 1 high school level course in that series... meaning if she takes Chemistry at the CC for the first time it will be a very very hard course!

I do not suggest taking a Lab science over the summer at the CC.

Speech, History or Government are better summer options.

Edited by Jann in TX

Thanks, Lori, I was hoping you'd chime in! Your cons are important, especially the burnout. I would not wish that on her. She can't take an online class because we are talking about science, and she needs a lab.

It is, indeed, band which is causing the problem. I never expected 25+ hours a week! I don't recall marching band taking up so much of my time when I was in school, but maybe it did.

What if......think with me here. Currently her marching band is an hour a day (school day time), plus Tue/Thur for 2.5 hours each night, and Friday night games (about 5-6 hours). In the 25 hours a week for band I didn't include competitions on Saturdays, which are about 10 hours, so that brings us to 35 hours a week (easily, as it doesn't included pep rallies, homecoming parade, jv games now and then, etc).

Now, 2nd semester that all goes away. What if she were to take science at the CC during 2nd semester? There are evening classes that meet Tue/Thur nights, with a lab class on Monday nights. So essentially, the cc class would be replacing marching band nights. Obviously she will have homework, but she will gain back all those Friday/Saturday hours.

Do you think this is feasible? Do you think having the course spread out over a semester instead of 8 weeks (or 5!) would make it much more doable?

My dd is a go-getter, and a get-things-done type of gal. She's naturally smart, but also quite the social bug, so she's working hard on time management skills. At almost 15, this is a process. :tongue_smilie:

Let me think on this... While thinking, :tongue_smilie: my original idea was to suggest that DD try the MATH as either the online class or summer school class -- in fact, you could try the remainder of her math classes that way if it were to work out this summer. And it could be done online while on vacation, and wouldn't need to be dual enrollment... I'll get back to you on your new arrangement. ;)

Hugs, Lori

Let me think on this... While thinking, :tongue_smilie: my original idea was to suggest that DD try the MATH as either the online class or summer school class -- in fact, you could try the remainder of her math classes that way if it were to work out this summer. And it could be done online while on vacation, and wouldn't need to be dual enrollment... I'll get back to you on your new arrangement. ;)

Hugs, Lori

:iagree:The advantage of an online math class is that she could do it dual enrollment as well as online :001_smile: Best of both worlds - that's what ds did this summer. I like this suggestion. A lot depends, though, on what level of math you are doing. If lower than College Algebra (pre-calc) I would keep that at home.

But if you are looking to sub out the science, I would definitely consider a non-major course if she hasn't had a high school science yet (agreeing with a previous poster). My son is taking biology for non-majors and finding it quite easy - he had Conceptual Physics and BJU Chemistry at home before beginning concurrent. I think that a non-major science course could be done with your schedule next semester (when the band dies down) esp. if your daughter is a go-getter kind of student.

If lower than College Algebra (pre-calc) I would keep that at home.

But if you are looking to sub out the science, I would definitely consider a non-major course if she hasn't had a high school science yet (agreeing with a previous poster). My son is taking biology for non-majors and finding it quite easy - he had Conceptual Physics and BJU Chemistry at home before beginning concurrent. I think that a non-major science course could be done with your schedule next semester (when the band dies down) esp. if your daughter is a go-getter kind of student.

She will be taking Algebra 2 next year, and if she took a class 2nd semester she'd be halfway through it. If she waits until the summer (of 2014) she will have finished Algebra 2. And she is planning on taking a non-major science course, so I'm happy to hear that you think she can handle it. I tend to think so....she's a rise-to-the-occasion type of kid.

Dd has taken two classes summer session. Her first college course was Intro to Psychology. Mid-May - End of June at the end of her sophomore year. I made sure that the rest of her schedule wound down in time. She was finishing up a TPS French course, but that was it. So the course was totally do-able: a great introduction to the classroom.

At the end of her junior year, she took American Literature I (200 level course). Same deal - she only had a few loose ends in addition to the tail-end of her French course. She primarily focused on the summer-session course, but it didn't feel intense. It still felt like a preview of summer. (The class met four times a week; she finished up her work after class and was done before lunch. Papers took longer, but it was totally do-able.)

She takes her science and math courses during the year. However, the short, six-week session is perfect (for us) for some of the other requirements.

It looks like dd will graduate in June with 40+ credits. Nearly all of them will transfer to fulfill requirements if she stays in-state. (And no, she doesn't have to take a summer session course this year. She'll be done early June. :001_smile:)

Peace,

Janice

Dd has taken two classes summer session. Her first college course was Intro to Psychology. Mid-May - End of June at the end of her sophomore year. I made sure that the rest of her schedule wound down in time. She was finishing up a TPS French course, but that was it. So the course was totally do-able: a great introduction to the classroom.

At the end of her junior year, she took American Literature I (200 level course). Same deal - she only had a few loose ends in addition to the tail-end of her French course. She primarily focused on the summer-session course, but it didn't feel intense. It still felt like a preview of summer. (The class met four times a week; she finished up her work after class and was done before lunch. Papers took longer, but it was totally do-able.)

She takes her science and math courses during the year. However, the short, six-week session is perfect (for us) for some of the other requirements.

It looks like dd will graduate in June with 40+ credits. Nearly all of them will transfer to fulfill requirements if she stays in-state. (And no, she doesn't have to take a summer session course this year. She'll be done early June. :001_smile:)

Peace,

Janice

Wow, that's a lot of credits - good for her! Did she get some through AP classes, or all through taking courses at the CC? I really want to continue teaching history/literature myself (TOG), so I'm not sure which classes, other than science, I'd want her to take there. I was planning on her doing one AP class per year, but my dh thinks CC would be better (FOR HER) because the whole credit wouldn't boil down to one test.

I would LOVE for her to do this! But it's a science class, with a lab, so I think that option is out. Rats!!

It looks like you've gotten plenty of advice. :001_smile:

Try to check more specifically on courses that will transfer to meet the requirement. Dd took a hybrid Micro-biology course (during a regular semester). The lecture materials were online, and she only had to come on campus for the lab.

But usually only "desperate" people take heavy science courses with labs over the summer. :001_smile:

It looks like you've gotten plenty of advice. :001_smile:

Try to check more specifically on courses that will transfer to meet the requirement. Dd took a hybrid Micro-biology course (during a regular semester). The lecture materials were online, and she only had to come on campus for the lab.

But usually only "desperate" people take heavy science courses with labs over the summer. :001_smile:

Do you mean because of the workload, or because kids want the summer off? Why would that smack of desperation? We're just trying to give room in the school-year schedule for more academics & extra-curriculars.

That is not the case here. A semester of high school = a semester of college. The high s. weights the grade by 5%. So, for ex. my son is taking College Algebra as a dual enrolled student from the same college his cousin attends, as a semester course (exact same course content as cuz but taken on the high school campus while cuz takes it on the college campus). Son's high school transcript will read 1/2 high school credit, the same as any other course only offered one period for one semester. Their time with the instructor in class is very close to equal.

Hmmmm, I'm pretty sure that's not the way it is here in AZ, but I'd better make sure. Thanks for the heads-up.

Hmmmm, I'm pretty sure that's not the way it is here in AZ

The only place I've seen this as a problem in AZ is if your student goes back to a public school. Some (NOT ALL) PUBLIC schools count classroom hours as being equivalent, and do not take into account the level or amount of material covered in the CC class (which is at a higher level and more of it compared to similar hours at a high school).

AZ is very hands-off re: regulations about homeschool high school and diplomas, and does not regulate this specific aspect; it is left to each individual school (public, private or charter), or homeschooling partent, to determine how to count the credit of dual enrollment. So you would have NO problems counting 1 semester CC class = 1 year of high school in AZ, esp. if you're talking about a 4-unit or 5-unit college class. Think of it this way: a 4-unit course at the CC means 4 hours of in-class instruction per week, PLUS usually that amount again in outside the classroom work (homework, studying, reading, writing papers, projects, etc.). That's a total of 8 hours a week x 16 weeks of the semester = 128 hours; that is just over the amount for 1 Carnegie unit of credit (120 hours).

And that doesn't take into account that the level of the material is at a higher level than high school. :)

For me, based on hour-counting, I DID count both DS's 4-unit foreign language classes for dual enrollment at the CC as 1 semester = 1 year of high school credit. HOWEVER, for a 3-unit course, because the hours fall well below the Carnegie unit (and because it was a foundational writing level course), I only counted younger DS's Writing class for dual enrollment at the CC as 1 semester = 1 semester.

Hope that helps! Hugs, Lori

PS -- In case you are at ALL interested, the only legal regulation of dual enrollment in AZ is in this Statute -- which, in the nutshell, says CCs are allowed to offer dual enrollment courses to high school students, covers the fiscal responsibilities of the CC and the public or charter school district, and states that the class material needs to be at a higher level than high school and transferable to AZ universities.

Edited by Lori D.

I took Art 101 at CC as a summer class thinking it would be easy. Wow! I was shocked at how fast it went. Just as you are getting into the swing of school, it's time for a midterm, which is a big percentage of your grade! Chapter or two-chapter tests every week too. I will never do another summer class and have discouraged my son, who's smart but not "into" school from taking one as well.

I would only go summer school route for courses that your dd is strong in. For example, I wouldn't recommend taking her first chemistry course as a summer CC course. As an advanced course credit it might be doable if she is strong in sciences. However, if these sciences are meant to meet her regular high school course credit, learning all that material in a short summer session could spell disaster (and those transcripts HAVE to be reported to any school that requests transcripts for any college level courses taken.)

If you have summer plans, etc and/or are concerned about the pace, how about Thinkwell courses done over the summer. They can be done at her own pace and at her own convenience and are completely portable as long as you have internet access. (We have used American govt' and econ and been happy w/them. Many people have posted being happy w/others.) Or could she simply do sciences at home during the summer? Spectrum chemistry comes w/all of the labs and does not need an outside teacher, etc. ETA: Completing Spectrum chemistry as a summer course would be very easy to accomplish. My ds combined Spectrum w/Plato and the 2 combined still took minimal time (and he was more than prepared for AP chem last yr.)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Thanks, Lori, I'm SO thankful you have walked this path of AZ homeschooling a few years before me!

The science class would be 4 credits, including the lab. I think I should call ASU/UA and make sure the classes I am looking at are indeed the ones that will enable her to fulfill a college requirement. Between AP classes (if her test score is high enough) and CC classes, I'm hoping to shave at least a semester off her university years.

I took Art 101 at CC as a summer class thinking it would be easy. Wow! I was shocked at how fast it went. Just as you are getting into the swing of school, it's time for a midterm, which is a big percentage of your grade! Chapter or two-chapter tests every week too. I will never do another summer class and have discouraged my son, who's smart but not "into" school from taking one as well.

That's a bit scary. Hmmm. I'm not sure what to do!

I would only go summer school route for courses that your dd is strong in. For example, I wouldn't recommend taking her first chemistry course as a summer CC course. As an advanced course credit it might be doable if she is strong in sciences. However, if these sciences are meant to meet her regular high school course credit, learning all that material in a short summer session could spell disaster (and those transcripts HAVE to be reported to any school that requests transcripts for any college level courses taken.)

If you have summer plans, etc and/or are concerned about the pace, how about Thinkwell courses done over the summer. They can be done at her own pace and at her own convenience and are completely portable as long as you have internet access. (We have used American govt' and econ and been happy w/them. Many people have posted being happy w/others.) Or could she simply do sciences at home during the summer? Spectrum chemistry comes w/all of the labs and does not need an outside teacher, etc.

Actually, Spectrum was my original plan for Sophomore year. But then I started thinking of ways to gain college credits so my dd can save money at university, and we also want to fit in more academics than she has time for, and it morphed into her taking science at CC.

Now I'm getting a little worried about my plan.

Actually, Spectrum was my original plan for Sophomore year. But then I started thinking of ways to gain college credits so my dd can save money at university, and we also want to fit in more academics than she has time for, and it morphed into her taking science at CC.

Now I'm getting a little worried about my plan.

I think the flaw w/your plan is the summer school piece. We haven't found CC courses to be difficult, but if you are talking about a young student learning what is meant to be college level material at summer school pace, that is what you need to expect. For some kids, it wouldn't be an issue. For others, it would completely overwhelm them. Only you know your dd.

For example, we have an incredibly strong 11th grader. He is taking multivariable cal and cal physics at the local university this semester and is doing great. BUT......he is also dyslexic and is a slow reader. We have eliminated all schools on the 1/4 system off his list of possible options in the future simply b/c we don't think he could keep up w/the reading material for multiple courses in a 1/4 system. (almost the equivalent of an entire college career in summer school style.....not quite, but definitely not traditional full semesters, either.) This ds would have zero problems taking a 300+ math course this summer in a summer session. However, a lit course or history course w/lots of assigned reading in a summer session would eat up huge amts of time.

My dd really enjoyed taking chemistry over the summer at the cc, but our full summer session is 11 weeks here. She had 2 hours scheduled for lab every Tuesday and Thursday, but the lab was usually just 1 hour. She hung out in the lounge area until her next class and really enjoyed that. Then she had two hours for class.

It was a nice schedule for her. I dropped her off at 2pm and then picked her up at 6pm two days/week.

My dd did take the class for majors, but we had already done a class at home at the level of the cc introductory chemistry class.

The chemistry class for nonmajors is still a college level class. It's the same level that is taught as Honors in high school.

The physics class for nonmajors is the same level as AP Physics B and is Algebra II based. If you need a lower level physics class at a cc, you need to do Conceptual Physics which is Algebra I based.

I took Chem 1 & Chem 2 for college at a community college over the summer. It was 2 summer sessions in the same year. I was so sick of Chemistry by the time I was done that it wasn't funny. There is a lot of class and lab time. Chemistry wasn't a difficult subject for me. I wouldn't have gotten through a Bio class that way.

Taking chemistry at the cc during the spring semester, when she doesn't have marching band, might be a better idea. You and your daughter can speak with an adviser about which chemistry class would be right for her. If she wants to get college credit with a summer course, I'd suggest something she really enjoys as it is definitely more time intensive. I'd also suggest that she take it local to where you are in the summer so it doesn't disrupt your family vacation time. You can check with your state universities about whether these credits could transfer.

Taking chemistry at the cc during the spring semester' date=' when she doesn't have marching band, might be a better idea.[/b'] You and your daughter can speak with an adviser about which chemistry class would be right for her. If she wants to get college credit with a summer course, I'd suggest something she really enjoys as it is definitely more time intensive. I'd also suggest that she take it local to where you are in the summer so it doesn't disrupt your family vacation time. You can check with your state universities about whether these credits could transfer.

Thank you, that's exactly what I'm starting to think. She will gain back an easy 20 hours a week when marching band ends, and I think that should be more than enough time to tackle a non-major (but still counting as credit) science class. At least, I think. :tongue_smilie:

to tackle a non-major (but still counting as credit) science class.

Not all non-majors are created equal!

I may have overlooked it, but what kind of a major does your DD have in mind? If you are counting on college credit for the class for non majors, make sure that it would be something that counts towards her intended subject.

For example, an engineering or chemistry student would be required to take a physics class of the same level as a physics major, and the algebra based course that is appropriate for certain majors would not give him any credit towards his degree, even though it is a college course.

A college course can be a great substitute for a high school class, but the credit may not necessarily be useful. My DD took algebra based college physics in 9th grade for her high school physics course, but she did not even bother formally enrolling because this credit would not count towards any of the subjects she is interested in majoring in.

Edited by regentrude

Regenetrude's pt is definitely worth investigating. Many universities will not accept CC courses below a certain level as actual transferable credit. (some universities won't accept any CC courses for credit)

Also, I just asked my dd who is taking general chem 1 at the local CC right now if she would have been able to handle it w/o any previous chem class. She looked at me :confused: She just reminded me that she had to submit a high school transcript verifying that she had taken a high school course in chemistry in order to enroll in chem class and a high school biology course in order to take the anatomy and physiology class.

Every school has different policies, but these are ones that you might want to look into.

Not all non-majors are created equal!

I may have overlooked it, but what kind of a major does your DD have in mind? If you are counting on college credit for the class for non majors, make sure that it would be something that counts towards her intended subject.

For example, an engineering or chemistry student would be required to take a physics class of the same level as a physics major, and the algebra based course that is appropriate for certain majors would not give him any credit towards his degree, even though it is a college course.

A college course can be a great substitute for a high school class, but the credit may not necessarily be useful. My DD took algebra based college physics in 9th grade for her high school physics course, but she did not even bother formally enrolling because this credit would not count towards any of the subjects she is interested in majoring in.

Ok, thank you! She plans on Classics major at this point, going on to either law school or getting her masters in ancient civilizations. But I'm not ruling out that she will change her mind to something like Psychology or Economics, given that she is only a Freshman.

I think I need to call the University and CC and get their feedback. At least then I'll know what I'm working with, and can make an informed decision.

Ok, thank you! She plans on Classics major at this point, going on to either law school or getting her masters in ancient civilizations. But I'm not ruling out that she will change her mind to something like Psychology or Economics, given that she is only a Freshman.

I think I need to call the University and CC and get their feedback. At least then I'll know what I'm working with, and can make an informed decision.

I would also look at the 4 yr plan for the possible psy major and see what bio/chem requirements exist. Back in the day when I was earning my psy degree, I had to take the same bio and chem as science majors. I have no idea if things have changed recently, but if anything I would suspect there is probably a greater emphasis on them since medicine has advanced so much in understanding the physiology of the brain. (iow, verify that non-major bio/chem would satisfy core requirements.)

I would definitely talk with a college adviser, but IMO she can't go wrong with taking the lower level Intro to Chemistry course. She hasn't yet taken high school chemistry, so this would be needed even if she later decides on a major which requires General Chemistry. I think it's a great idea and will serve as a high school credit for chemistry and may transfer - maybe fulfilling a science/chemistry requirement for non-majors or maybe as an elective. If she decides on a STEM major requiring General Chemistry, she'll be very glad to have taken this course first.

Stay on top of the registration dates and try to get any paperwork needed in ahead of time so you can hopefully get the time/professor you want. The best professors' classes fill quickly. I hope it's an awesome class for her!

I would definitely talk with a college adviser' date=' but IMO she can't go wrong with taking the lower level Intro to Chemistry course. She hasn't yet taken high school chemistry, so this would be needed even if she later decides on a major which requires General Chemistry. I think it's a great idea and will serve as a high school credit for chemistry and may transfer - maybe fulfilling a science/chemistry requirement for non-majors or maybe as an elective. If she decides on a STEM major requiring General Chemistry, she'll be very glad to have taken this course first.

Stay on top of the registration dates and try to get any paperwork needed in ahead of time so you can hopefully get the time/professor you want. The best professors' classes fill quickly. I hope it's an awesome class for her![/quote']

This is an excellent point - thank you! I will call the colleges this week and begin getting their input.

I really appreciate everyone thinking this through with me!