Menu

audiobook recommendations for 4 YO boy?

DS1 is turning 4 soon and I'd like to put some audiobooks on his wish list for his birthday. DD listens to librivox recordings and Jonathan Parks CDs but he isn't very interested in either yet. He needs something with either a really engaging story, or something that comes with a book to follow along with. I'd prefer audiobooks that are a little longer, at least 15 minutes long. Kind of seems like a waste of money to buy a 6 minute audiobook like some of them are... TIA for any suggestions.

A lot of kids like Magic Treehouse audiobooks at that age - and you can really do any easy reader chapter book series, I think. The plots tend to be simple and formulaic so it's not bad for a 4 yo to listen and learn about how to follow a plot. My boys liked Nate the Great on audio at that age - I think they come all on one CD, actually. And, of course, Jim Weiss's CD's are all good. Or any of the Rabbit Ears collection.

I bought a bunch of $0.69 audio picture books from Audible a while ago. They have the Virginia Lee Burton and Robert McCloskey books. Skippyjon Jones is pretty fun and saves me from doing the voices LOL. They also have The Cat in the Hat collections which are a hit, but are a little more expensive. They have Winnie-the-Pooh, Paddington, Aesop's Fables, Just So Stories, etc.

Winne the Pooh is going over well here. I don't think he gets a lot out of Jim Weiss's Greek Myths but he listened quietly in the car, which is a miracle.

I have Tumtum and Nutmeg, which I hope to get him listening to in the playroom.

At that age my boys like story CDs (you can download now) by Jim Weiss.

At 4 they enjoyed "Animal Tales" and "Uncle Wiggly" and "Tell Me a Story".

http://www.greathall.com/storytelling.html

There are also the Winnie the Pooh stories by Peter Dennis here:

http://www.poohcorner.com/

We originally got these on cassette, but my boys bought them on itunes. My boys are pretty big now, but they love the Peter Dennis version so much, that they wanted them on their ipods. My 12 year old will still listen to them on a rainy day, while he draws.

My almost 4yo adores the Winnie the Pooh audiobooks with Jim Broadbent.

He also really liked the Henry Huggins audiobooks; Neil Patrick Harris did several of them, and they're really good. B. D. Wong did The Mouse and the Motorcycle and its sequels, and we also enjoyed those a lot, as well as some of the Ramona books on CD. I think it would be a toss-up between Henry (and Ribsy!) and Ralph S. Mouse!

Cherry Jones's recording of Famer Boy is pretty good too.

Not an "audiobook" but we all love "Adventures in Odyssey". I started my youngsters out with the patriotic "Star Spangled Stories". Some AIO episodes can be a little mature, so you will want to make sure you choose age appropriate episodes.

Have you checked your library? My local library just has chapter books on audio. We can us inter library loan to get tons of picture books though.

Chapter books:

Fudge books by Judy bloom

Peter Pan

Magic treehouse

Time warp trio

Mrs. Pigglewiggle

Mouse and the motorcycle

101 Dalmatians (not Disney)

Picture books:

Robert mccloskey books(had added songs)

Bible stories & fables

Disney stories

At that age, my guys really liked ( and we still laugh out loud at) Junie B Jones. They very quickly moved on to Little House in the Big Wood, Percy Jackson, etc. We've spent the past year or so listening to the Lit2Go (free, on their website or via iTunes) books read by Lorraine Montgomery: A Little Princess, Anne of Green Gables, Little Women and, most recently Peter Pan. (They're 8 now.)

Junie B really got them engaged in listening to audio books, though.