Menu

Another barking dog thread

My poor sister has serious issues with her neighbor's barking dogs. They wake her up nearly every night. The owner often isn't even there.

She has tried everything I know of to fix it but...nothing.

1. Talk to the (extremely rude, defensive and unhelpful) neighbor directly.

2. Call the neighborhood security (a million times). They finally suggested she call the Sheriff.

3. Call the Sheriff (a million times) They finally suggested she call the HOA.

4. Use one of those anti-dog barking gadgets. Worked for about a day, then not anymore.

5. Try to get the other neighbors to go to the woman, too. No one is willing.

6. Try to make friends with the dogs.

7. Try to yell at the dogs.

8. Give the dog treats.

I don't know what else to tell her to do, but she is desperate. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Perhaps she could bring Disturbing the Peace charges against the neighbors.

She actually thinks her next step is small claims court, but she works in the Legal field and said that nothing will likely come of it. Plus, it costs almost $200 just to file. She's about to do it, though.

I think "disturbing the peace" is a criminal charge, and the cops would have to initiate (I think....could be wrong...I'll make the suggestion).

That's exactly what she bought! She said it worked great for a night or two, but then it stopped after that.

Ear plugs? ;)

That would be so totally annoying. I might try to approach the neighbor again. But I wouldn't expect anything.

Maybe you could record the dog barking--like, set a recorder and let it run literally the entire time the dog barks. Then copy it and send it to the owner and the sheriff, so they can see just how bad it is. Probably wouldn't help, but it might make her case for her.

She actually thinks her next step is small claims court, but she works in the Legal field and said that nothing will likely come of it. Plus, it costs almost $200 just to file. She's about to do it, though.

I think "disturbing the peace" is a criminal charge, and the cops would have to initiate (I think....could be wrong...I'll make the suggestion).

Not in GA. She would have to go to the magistrate's office and file charges against her neighbor. And in GA (unless they changed the law since I was a cop there) Disturbing the Peace might actually stick.

Ear plugs? ;)

That would be so totally annoying. I might try to approach the neighbor again. But I wouldn't expect anything.

Maybe you could record the dog barking--like, set a recorder and let it run literally the entire time the dog barks. Then copy it and send it to the owner and the sheriff, so they can see just how bad it is. Probably wouldn't help, but it might make her case for her.

The ear plugs don't work, apparently. Her bedroom is right against the neighbor's fence where the dogs congregate.

I love the idea of recording them, though.

Ah, can't help you then. I'm not familiar with CA law at all. :grouphug:

I think it's cool that you were a cop in GA, though! And I thought I knew everything about you :D (because really, we all know everything about everyone on this anonymous message board, don't we? ;) ).

Thanks for trying....

We had this problem. They would leave the house for the day, and the dog has a dog door so it would go in and all day long, barking its fool head off at every tiny sound. It's a huge German Shepherd, and they specifically wanted it as a guard dog, so it's incredibly protective. We couldn't even homeschool in our downstairs homeschool room with the sliding doors open. It would hear us 200 feet away, in spite of all the trees and fencing, and come out and bark insanely. Several neighbors spoke to the people, but two calls had to be made to the township in order to get them to keep the dog inside. They were really mad too, but too bad!

You said she called neighborhood security, but did she actually call the HOA board? They might be more inclined to do something about it if you contact them directly. Also, is the sheriff who she'd call for any legal/criminal thing? Maybe she needs to call a different department? I wouldn't give up, if I were her. That's ridiculous.

We had this problem. They would leave the house for the day, and the dog has a dog door so it would go in and all day long, barking its fool head off at every tiny sound. It's a huge German Shepherd, and they specifically wanted it as a guard dog, so it's incredibly protective. We couldn't even homeschool in our downstairs homeschool room with the sliding doors open. It would hear us 200 feet away, in spite of all the trees and fencing, and come out and bark insanely. Several neighbors spoke to the people, but two calls had to be made to the township in order to get them to keep the dog inside. They were really mad too, but too bad!

You said she called neighborhood security, but did she actually call the HOA board? They might be more inclined to do something about it if you contact them directly. Also, is the sheriff who she'd call for any legal/criminal thing? Maybe she needs to call a different department? I wouldn't give up, if I were her. That's ridiculous.

I'm not sure if she called the HOA or just the security. I'll find out. Also not 100% sure about the Sheriff stuff, although I'm reasonably sure she called the "right" group, since she works in the Legal realm.

Well, if the owner's ARE home, we have success with an airhorn. It trains the owners not the dog. We have new neighbors next door. My kids say even the owners can't stand the dog. That doesn't mean they actually stop it from barking all. the. time. Airhorns work.

I really can't help if the owners aren't home.