Menu

Medical insurance weirdness

I called up our medical insurance carrier with a question about medical coverage for some medical equipment. Before she could answer my question, she told me she had to ask a question. She was apologetic in her tone with a "I know this is silly, but I have to ask. Does your 13 year old son know you are calling about him?" What?!?!? Since when do I have to tell my children I am calling about their medical benefits? What has our government unleashed upon us?!?!?

Beth

Guest inoubliable
I called up our medical insurance carrier with a question about medical coverage for some medical equipment. Before she could answer my question, she told me she had to ask a question. She was apologetic in her tone with a "I know this is silly, but I have to ask. Does your 13 year old son know you are calling about him?" What?!?!? Since when do I have to tell my children I am calling about their medical benefits? What has our government unleashed upon us?!?!?

Beth

Just curious why you think this is something the government requires??

I thought the government had passed something recently, like in the last 1-2 years, about age 13.....there's been some other posts on this forum, similiar experiences, but actually in the Dr's office...about child having to give permission for parents to be in room, etc.....pretty sure it's a legit thing these days, unfortunately :(.

...as far as the Ins rep asking, yep, she probably had to....pretty sure she didn't just "want to know". Having worked in call center environments for different types of companies, including airlines and insurance.....we often have to ask questions, or end the call with a closing statement, that is down right stoooopid. Hate it, but it's that or be docked points/written up, etc. Nature of the work. Nothing WORSE than having to end a bad call, where customer yelled at you for something that was beyond your control/not handled by your department/completely legit situation whether customer liked it or not, with a cheerful "Anything else I can help with today?"

Just curious why you think this is something the government requires??

I think it's due to e-mail warnings that I've had from friends about what is happening in doctor's offices with 13 year olds being separated from parents and being asked very personal questions about sexual activity and other things of a personal nature. I actually didn't lie and say my 13 year old has the mentality of a toddler so no, he doesn't know, but even if he was a typical kid, I shouldn't have to tell him/her. I'm their parent and don't need their permission to talk about their medical needs!

Beth

I don't understand the point of asking the question. They have no way to know if a person is telling the truth or not. I guess they are just covering themselves but it seems pointless.

I make a lot of calls regarding my 15-year-old and have never been asked anything like this, nor have I been asked to leave the room during an exam. Sometimes a doctor's office or the pharmacy will call and ask for him, and I'll say "he is a minor child, I'm his mom, what can I do for you?" and no one has ever insisted on talking to him.

I think it's due to e-mail warnings that I've had from friends about what is happening in doctor's offices with 13 year olds being separated from parents and being asked very personal questions about sexual activity and other things of a personal nature. I actually didn't lie and say my 13 year old has the mentality of a toddler so no, he doesn't know, but even if he was a typical kid, I shouldn't have to tell him/her. I'm their parent and don't need their permission to talk about their medical needs!

Beth

My doctor gave me the choice when I was a young teen, as to whether or not I wanted my mom in the room.... thirty some years ago. My mom didn't like it when I chose to not have her in there, I was glad I had the choice.

HIPPA laws now allow children over the age of 12 to have medical privacy. They can see the dr. on their own without your permisson and have prescriptions filled. They can also deny you permission to receive medical information about you. In some cases they need to speak to the child themselves and other times they need written communication from the child.

My doctor gave me the choice when I was a young teen, as to whether or not I wanted my mom in the room.... thirty some years ago. My mom didn't like it when I chose to not have her in there, I was glad I had the choice.

I remember being in the doctor's office when I was about 12. My dad must have taken me because my mom called on the phone to check on me. The doctor asked me if it was okay for him to talk to her. That was about 30 years ago too. I remember thinking it was so weird for him to even ask.