Menu

Setting the table, what's your position on spoons

What is your stance on spoons at meals  

1. 1. What is your stance on spoons at meals

• Yes, the table isn't set correctly if there are no spoons
    • No, spoons only put out if a food is being served that requires them
    • Yes, all items set out must be washed even if they weren't used when eating
    • Nope, if nobody used it, just put it back for next time.
    • Other: please elaborate
    • I just wanted to answer the poll

Unless there is company (which IMO requires the basic full setting), I don't put out spoons unless there will be a use for them. However, whatever gets put out has to get washed even if someone didn't use it. I might put out butter knives for example, but not all will get used. They all still need to be washed.

:iagree:

We don't put spoons on the table unless we are using spoons.

I am the opposite. I eat almost everything with a spoon. It takes an "occasion" to warrant a fork. :) Like my parents visting. They are fork people.

To quote a woman I overheard at a dinner, talking to her infant, "No, we don't want a fork for that. We use a fork for strawberries. Spoons are for eating rice with."

I don't set out stuff no one will need. I don't see the point. They won't stay clean for long.

I'm supposed to *set* the table?! ;)

We fill plates and go sit. I usually grab 4 forks from the drawer, a couple of steak knives on occasion, and just put them on the nearest spot on the table within my reach.

If there was any unnecessary rule which required me to be in the kitchen one second longer than I had to be just to clean, it wouldn't happen.

Most of our dinner company are kids, and we do the same thing. If we have adult company, we go out. It's less stressful for me. People that get invited over are folks I want to visit with and I'm not capable of cooking and visiting at the same time.

I'm not a fan of spooning. I mean, when the tEA drinking is over, all the utensils should be returned to their rightful places on opposite sides of the drawer, not touching at all.

That is what this is about, right?

:D Spooning leads to forking.

I was raised where you set the table with all utensils, and they were all washed (by hand, no less!) even if not used. I'm lazy, so we just grab whatever utensils are needed for that meal, but I still don't feel like the table is "properly" set.

I realized a few months ago that my kids don't really know how to properly set a table, so we're working on that. I usually serve at the stove & just hand them their plates, so they've never really set the table -- they just grab a fork on the way to the table...