Menu

Jean in Newcastle--I finished my Ana White project!

Look what I made from the Ana White project plans! This was the first time I have ever used power tools or even shopped for lumber by myself. Jean, my husband didn't even have to help me--I figured it out from YouTube. Also, the whole process of measuring, etc. is a lot like sewing. If you can sew, you can build.

I totally recommend these plans to anyone who wants to give it a try. My only recommendation is to make sure you measure and build according to the actual size of your baskets. I wasn't able to find the exact baskets she used, so my measurements were a bit different.

post-804-13535087643341_thumb.jpg

Awesome job!!

I bookmarked these awhile ago and want to make them. I think there is a better chance of them actually getting finished if I make them. DH could probably do it, but they would only get started...

You are inspiring me. Maybe I WILL do it. :)

Thanks for the pic, and great work!!

I think there is a better chance of them actually getting finished if I make them.

You're preaching to the choir. Also, when I told DH I needed a "countersink drill bit" to make the top of the screw holes bigger than the screw head so I could fill them in, he said, " You don't need to do that! Just screw the screws in really tight, and they'll sink down into the wood." :glare: :001_huh::lol:

I do sew, hmmm. . . maybe I could do this.

You could absolutely do this! The thing that would have made it easier would have been access to a nice workbench. Climbing into the box to level the rungs was a challenge. If you make these, take it easy! (Also, tell your dd that we are going to use these as a dresser in the apartment of one of my organizationally challenged dd's. Laundry baskets are very versatile. ;))

if only I had the time. Alas, someday...

BINGO! Learning to use tools was on my bucket list. If you look at my signature, you'll see that I'm, ahem, moving into the next life stage. :D All in due time, my dear!

That is awesome, functional and pretty! What a great job. And you are correct, if you can sew, you can build. Just do a little reading and make sure you understand your 'pattern'. :D

I want to build somthing like that in my laundry room, but unfortunately I have a big freezer in there. When we get the shed built, I can finally move that freezer to the utility closet in the garage next to the other one and then really finished my laundry room.

DH is used to me fixing stuff up :tongue_smilie:. I just finished up the bathroom and need to post pics of it today. I did tell him that I want a table saw next and he just shook his head, lol. Most of the tools in that utility room I've picked out-a carpenters daughter I am, lol.

Thanks for appreciating my accomplishment! I haven't been able to turn my family into cheerleaders for my pet projects.

I want to build somthing like that in my laundry room, but unfortunately I have a big freezer in there. When we get the shed built, I can finally move that freezer to the utility closet in the garage next to the other one and then really finished my laundry room. .....

I'm inspired to tackle my basement laundry room. I think I'll have dh help me with the wiring, though. I don't want to start any fires!

I did tell him that I want a table saw next and he just shook his head, lol.

I think a table saw, a heated workroom, and some quality overhead lighting would be great. I probably should make a few more projects before I jump to that level of investment, though. LOL!

we've done the cubbie bookshelves and 2 library carts- my kids and I.:001_smile:Use them every.single.day.

You are my hero! I thought I was doing great to tackle a beginner project, then I looked at her classifications and realized my project was only a "getting started" project (basically pre-beginner). Oh well, at least it turned out!

That's awesome. You did a great job!

My dh was in awe because when he returned from deployment I'd gotten a table saw from my mom as a bday present and had made 3 2cube cubbies for my kids that were big enough to hold binders, since the ones at Target aren't bid enough to hold a binder upright and Ikea is over 3hrs away.

He is not a power tool kind of guy and loves that I've found something I love to be a bit of hobby. He has visions of all the bookshelves I can make for him now. :lol:

we've done the cubbie bookshelves and 2 library carts- my kids and I.:001_smile:Use them every.single.day.

You are my hero! I thought I was doing great to tackle a beginner project, then I looked at her classifications and realized my project was only a "getting started" project (basically pre-beginner). Oh well, at least it turned out!

Well to put it in perspective....:001_smile: we'd been doing drywalling all summer so this felt like a walk in the park. Also, we made 2 library carts. The first one looks like it belongs in a dystopian novel. The second bookshelf I messed up a measurement. We were almost done when I realized the mistake and we had to take the whole thing apart and re-start!! Plus I yelled at my kids doing it.

Well to put it in perspective....:001_smile: we'd been doing drywalling all summer so this felt like a walk in the park. Also, we made 2 library carts. The first one looks like it belongs in a dystopian novel. The second bookshelf I messed up a measurement. We were almost done when I realized the mistake and we had to take the whole thing apart and re-start!! Plus I yelled at my kids doing it.

See, now I have to admire your transparency in addition to your skills!!!!:lol: