Menu

Phonics-based spelling programs, not AAS

Dassah

Go ahead and throw darts...I'm not an AAS fan. Not because it's not a great program! It is. It's because it's tough to jump in (in my opinion) with an advanced reader in the 3rd grade AND there are too many small pieces.

I loved LLATL Blue Book to teach reading (and that had a lot of work but it all seemed worthwhile, btw). I think AAS is great, especially when starting with a younger child. We've tried Level 1 since August and still can't get into a rhythm. So, what's next. I've got a reader that easily reads 3rd Grade Detectives, the entire Magic TreeHouse Series but cannot spell to save her life.

What are my options? I want a phonics based program. She's got a great memory and quickly memorizes words without their spellings?! :confused: I'm not sure how this is possible but she reads flawlessly.

Please send ideas my way! This child is going to end up needing Spell Check way too often! :glare:

Edited by Dassah

Please send ideas my way! This child is going to end up needing Spell Check way too often! :glare:

I thought that same thing about DS10 but I'm actually seeing a lot of progress this year. I wouldn't make that prediction just yet on a third grader!!

We are using Spelling Plus this year but something just seemed to click in his writing and his spelling continues to improve! I used AAS last year for him and it flopped. :(

I started this fall using Logic of English with my 5th and 7th grader. They also are good readers, but after getting their standardized test scores back from last year, it was clear that we need to do some work on spelling. I can't stand the "workbook" approach to spelling, so last year we did Spelling Wisdom. I like the approach, but it didn't really help with the phonics rules, etc. and our test scores showed it.

I like that it's scripted. It's fairly easy to adjust your speed on each lesson and there is lots of review. I think it's very appropriate for an older child that is a good reader.

When I read your OP, I first thought of the Logic of English. It teaches many of the same phonograms and spelling rules as AAS does, it teaches a few phonograms and one spelling rule in each lesson like AAS does and its teacher manual is really well laid out. Downside - it is almost equally expensive.

My other suggestion is Spelling Plus. It doesn't teach any phonograms, it has fewer spelling rules and almost teaches by pattern. Upside - it is inexpensive, can also be bought as a PDF, and its spelling list has the 1000 most commonly encountered words for grades 1 -6. You can see the spelling list and rules in this handout and a sample lesson here.

SWR has been great for my two advanced readers. It is completely flexible so you can go at her pace and start wherever you need to in the program. There is a diagnostic test to help you place her. She won't have to start with baby words, but will still get all of the instruction applied to words at her level. It does take a bit of teacher prep to get going, but there are numerous helps on the Internet, a yahoo group, and a video put out by the author if you need it. Once you get going, it can be open-and-go. The new log books for 3rd+ graders have really helped simplify the program for older beginners.

yes, yes...I have used R&S Spelling in the past and that's not what I'm after. :tongue_smilie: I am looking for AAS but in workbook form that I can make more hands-on a couple of times a week using letter tiles, etc. I wish I knew what I was looking for...exactly. :confused: Anyone used Building Spelling Skills from Christian Liberty Press? Soaring with Spelling and Vocabulary? or How to Spell? Anyone familiar with some of these and can speak to their effectiveness?

Edited by Dassah

yes, yes...I have used R&S Spelling in the past and that's not what I'm after. :tongue_smilie: I am looking for AAS but in workbook form that I can make more hands-on a couple of times a week using letter tiles, etc. I wish I knew what I was looking for...exactly. :confused: Anyone used Building Spelling Skills from Christian Liberty Press? Soaring with Spelling and Vocabulary? or How to Spell? Anyone familiar with some of these and can speak to their effectiveness?

Oh no, no, no, no, no......NOT Soaring with Spelling! I just posted about it here. If she's not good at spelling, then that is NOT the program for either of you.

I was going to suggest How To Spell (the manual is How To Teach Spelling).

I am looking for AAS but in workbook form that I can make more hands-on a couple of times a week using letter tiles, etc.

If that is what you want, then third vote for the Logic of English Essentials curriculum.

Another vote for LOE here, It's an amazing program, and sounds like it would be a good fit. You can make it hands on if you want it to be, but you can also keep it simple on dry erase boards (or in the workbook) for times when you need it simple. It is easy to tweak the pace to go faster or slower when you need it, and is very comprehensive.

For info on How to Spell/How to Teach Spelling, take a look at this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=423348

I wrote a lengthy blog post about HTTS that includes page samples and a planning spreadsheet. It is linked in the thread above. Genevieve gives a nice, concise description of how they use it which is helpful, I think.

AAS, Logic of English, and (I think) How to Teach Spelling are all based (loosely or closely) on Spalding. Spalding is the Gold Standard of rules & phonics-based spelling programs. (Just ask Elle!:tongue_smilie:)

See if your library has The Writing Road to Reading (WRtR). It is the how-to manual of Spalding's method. Another Spalding-spin-off is Spell to Write and Read (SWR), which we use.

Logic of English (LoE) is the newest program out - and some say, the easiest to pick-up-and-use for a non-beginner/older child. (AAS being scripted & easy to use, but also being something that suggests you start at the beginning.)

Good luck!

AAS, Logic of English, and (I think) How to Teach Spelling are all based (loosely or closely) on Spalding. Spalding is the Gold Standard of rules & phonics-based spelling programs. (Just ask Elle!:tongue_smilie:)

AAS and HTTS are based on Orton-Gillingham.

Spalding is based on Orton-Gillingham.

AAS and HTTS are really not much like Spalding except the phonograms/rules are the same. The METHOD is very, very different. O-G focuses on one thing at a time and moves slowly, whereas Spalding introduces more concepts at one time and throws all kinds of different types of words in one lesson. AAS and HTTS still follow a similar method to O-G, whereas Spalding changed the method completely.

SWR is based on Spalding.

LOE is probably based on Spalding (though I haven't seen it - just samples).

AAS and HTTS are NOT based on Spalding though. :)