Menu

What Are..?

Last time I opened the giblet bag, it contained the neck as well as heart, liver and kidneys. I usually simmer them for broth to add to the gravy and discard the actual giblets, dh would love it if I would then chop them to add back to the gravy but I'm usually to lazy unless it's maybe Thanksgiving...

Growing up the giblets were the heart, liver and gizzard. The giblets bags from the store contain those 3 plus the neck. I can't see how the neck could be considered the giblets because it would be virtually impossible to pull the raw meat off of it and chop it up and cook it (for stuffing or as a standalone). I think the manufacturers stick the neck in there for convenience.

heart, liver, gizzard, and it seems that there are kidneys in there too. Kidneys are my least favorite part, but I chop off of it up and put it in the stuffing.

That is what we do with the liver, too.

I love the neck. I use it to start the gravy broth and then I pick the meat off for myself.

Interesting. They seem kinda small for all that.

Oh well, Bazinga will have a great dinner :D

My mom once bought a whole chicken (raw) at the grocery store (by the lb) and opened it up to find two sets of all the organs. She was not amused and took it back to complain.