Menu

JAWM... looking for support/confirmation here

I am enrolled in a medical transcription school. I am halfway through the year-long course. I am hating it. What I have learned in the past 8 months is that I do not want to do medical transcription for a living.

I am overwhelmed with life right now, including working at general transcription (and enjoying it). I also have plans to go back to college in January to earn my master's degree. Ultimately, I'd love to teach online college courses and do some editing.

I want to quit MT school. I am way past the cancellation with a refund period, thus I am obligated to pay the full tuition. I hate to waste the money, but I am starting to hate more the idea of continuing with the schooling, the added stress/burden of it, for something that I now have no intention of doing for a living. It's okay to quit anyway, right? Right? Ugh.

If you are halfway through, my best advice is to suck it up and finish, even if you don't think you'll be working in the field. It's always good to have something extra to fall back on, even if it's not something you love doing.

Sorry, I know you wanted to get JAWM replies, but you've already paid for the course, so you might as well finish it. You don't have to finish at the top of your class -- just do the minimum amount of work required to graduate.

The money is gone. It is a sunk cost. Why sink your time and energy into it too? It is smarter to quit than waste your time on something you will never use.

Thank you. And that's a good point about the waste of time and energy. I guess it could be said, too, that the money wasn't really "wasted" because during this process, I discovered general transcription, and have honed my skills in that area. I guess that's a result.

If you are halfway through, my best advice is to suck it up and finish, even if you don't think you'll be working in the field. It's always good to have something extra to fall back on, even if it's not something you love doing.

Sorry, I know you wanted to get JAWM replies, but you've already paid for the course, so you might as well finish it. You don't have to finish at the top of your class -- just do the minimum amount of work required to graduate.

:iagree:

The money is gone. It is a sunk cost. Why sink your time and energy into it too? It is smarter to quit than waste your time on something you will never use.

That's what's kept me plugging away for the last month, but it's really starting to fray my nerves. I'm always behind in the course. I'm not taking as much work as I could be doing because of this course hanging over my head. And I'm stressed out all.the.time.

:iagree:

Part of the problem with the "fall-back" idea is that it is very hard to get an MT job without MT experience. This school offers placement services and repeatedly touts that graduates of their program are often granted the privilege of "waiving" the one-year experience requirement. However, I don't think that applies if the student doesn't seek work immediately following the program. So even if I found myself wanting to do MT years from now, my currently training likely wouldn't help me find a job.

If you absolutely, positively are not going to continue with MT as a career, there's no point in continuing the coursework. You'd just be wasting more time on something that you already know you won't pursue. :grouphug: Yes, it stinks to throw that money away, but it's already gone. At least you can salvage your time and put it toward something more enjoyable.

:iagree: Absolutely!

Why waste time AND money on this. You've already wasted money, so that's too bad, but don't expend any more of your life on this.

Are you absolutely sure you can't get a refund? It would be worth asking about it. Be sure to act appropriately pitiful. ;)

Oh, I did. I even explained about how I've just gotten divorced, and now I'm having to work for the first time in 12 years, and I'm raising my children alone. Nothing. Hearts of ice, I tell you. Hearts of ice.

Oh, I did. I even explained about how I've just gotten divorced, and now I'm having to work for the first time in 12 years, and I'm raising my children alone. Nothing. Hearts of ice, I tell you. Hearts of ice.

Can you call and talk to a different person? Sometimes, when the first person I speak with is unpleasant, I try again and ask someone else the same question. It doesn't always work, but you never know until you try.

Can you call and talk to a different person? Sometimes, when the first person I speak with is unpleasant, I try again and ask someone else the same question. It doesn't always work, but you never know until you try.

Thanks, Catwoman. I appreciate your support and suggestions. :001_smile: