Menu

Cheap/easy kid halloween costume ideas?

I was Pippi Longstocking last year. I took a jumper dress I owned and sewed some felt patches on it. I wore striped tights, clunky shoes, and braided floral wire into my hair so my braids would stick out. (The floral wire was several strands twisted together and ran from the tip of one braid, over my head, and down to the end of the other braid.) I think I paid $4 for the tights.

Last year ds was a rubiks cube. We used a box we got from a grocery store. It was the most popular costume in the neighborhood. This year we were thinking of making him an Empire State Building costume, but he said everyone was going to be using boxes this year. I guess that means I need to come up with something else. ;)

Danielle

ATA: This is what it looked like. http://prezwho.com/rubiks-cube-costume-for-halloween

Edited by USDGAL

I've seen a really cute lego costume that was a box with six plastic (margarine-like) tubs all painted red.

If you have an old white sheet, you could tear it into strips to make a mummy costume.

You could do a zombie costume with old clothes and some face makeup. You could be a whole family of zombies. :D

We made our son a GIR costume from the show Invader Zim a couple years ago. It turned out really well!! We used an old carseat box, and covered it with a lime green flat sheet. I sewed him a tank top out of the green fabric to go under the box, the zipper, and the tongue. We put screens over the eyes so he could see through it, and he wore a black sweat shirt and pants under neath. It was a HUGE hit!!

74216_10150282151550461_7267979_n_zps4a5a6050.jpg

33556_10150282151500461_1606484_n_zpscdf87f89.jpg

The character it was modeled after, Gir:

Gir_dog_zps1c391ddc.jpg

Edited by somo_chickenlady

Dd went as Medusa last year--we put a shirt under the sheet we used for a toga-like, Grecian dress, and we found some wild sandals with jewels on clearance for about $5. Some makeup, and then some Dollar Store fake plastic snakes in her hair...It was great!

All that to say, maybe a Greek god or Roman soldier?

Dd is going as a purple fairy princess. Spent a total of $4.24 on her costume (wings, purple tiera, purple glow stick wand in the shape of a butterfly, and a purple sparkly skirt) the rest will be a purple hoodie and pants (hoodie because it might be cold with long johns underneath). Purchased at Dollar Tree and includes the 6 percent MI sales tax. Good thing is she will continue to play with the costume long after Halloween :) This would be perfect for your three year old (my dd is also three but will be four in November), you won't have to worry about her tripping over anything or not being able to see. You might already have some fairy type dress up stuff. Next year dd will be a doctor (she's already decided) the only thing I have to do is cut down my old lab coat so she won't fall over it. The rest will be parts from her doctor kit that she plays with all the time. I guess I'm saying is look at what they already have and make something from that and see what you need from there.

Edited by melissamathews

Here are costumes we made years ago ... the Pooh/Piglet suits were sweats and t-shirts they already owned. I made the caps from 50 cents sheets of felt and staples - no sewing required. The nerdy guy is wearing his own clothes with his hair slicked back and a pair of dorky looking glasses from the thrift store - cost about $1