Menu

Fairy wings? Any idea where to find some?

You can make them with colored nylons and wire (coat hanger will work).

If not you make look at an upper end or boutique children's toy or clothes stores. I have also seen them at children's (activity based) museum shops. I would get on the phone and call around.

Any costume shops in your area?

My dd has a few pair, but we bought them at TJ Maxx about 5 years ago...that won't help you now! Sorry

Good Luck,

Tap

For my dd's birthday a couple years ago I made fairy wings out of white tissue paper. Each pair of wings gets two sheets of paper. Join the two sheets by scrunching one short width of each paper together into a rubber band. Then use a small binder clip to attach to the child's clothing.

I also made fairy crowns out of ribbon and cheap plastic beads. They took a while to make but were very, very pretty when done, and a big hit. I simply braided three colors of ribbon together loosely, leaving long tails of ribbon at both ends. I threaded a couple beads through the long tails and knotted. The girls wore them either like a crown across the forehead and tied in a bow in the back, or as a headband.

One of the ribbons I used was silver, which made it a little more fairy-like.

You might also look for "butterfly" or "angel" wings. You could always add more glitter or something if they're not completely the way you want them to look. Kwim?

Ask friends if they have some you could borrow.

Look into costume shops that dance places use.

Craigslist maybe?

Oops. After rereading your original post, it seems like you may be looking for more than one pair, plus it would be something you would need to have for keeps, rather than just borrowing.

Maybe Wal-Mart or KMart? Seems like I've seen 'dress up' sections in the toy areas there.

I've tried Walmart, Target, local party supply store.

I'd prefer to find them locally as it's for Dd's party next weekend, a bit of a gag-gift item so I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Any ideas?

Hearthsong or Magic Cabin dolls, might have some.

Jet

Thanks Jen, that's such a sweet offer, (and a sweet smiley to go with it!) My dd is almost 18yo and this is really just a bit of a joke costume for her party. I'd feel bad accepting under these circumstances. I'm sure there are lots of little girls who really would love those wings and use them more than just the one time.

I think I'll have dd make some. I've found instructions online, she can make any shape she chooses, and we have most of the materials already.