Menu

How early for BA?

LEK

It is a little early to be thinking about this yet but my 5yo dd is just racing through primary math at an alarming rate. We started with K math but she finished that in about 2 months start to finish. She has just now finished 1st grade math in only 4 months completing every problem in 2 separate math curricula. We are starting 2nd grade math at age 5.5, if she continues at this rate she will be finished around her 6th birthday (6 months), we are still using 2 separate math curricula MM and MUS in an attempt to slow her down and to really solidify every single concept. Would just turned 6 be too young for BA? I think she would really enjoy this program but am worried that her age will be an issue.

For Math and Science curriculum, I do not think there is a too young. If your daughter is not ready/interested in BA when she turns 6, you can just keep it for later.

I bought SM2 to SM6 in one order because my hubby tells me to just go ahead and buy. It was nice having curricula on standby.

I think it probably depends on the frustration threshold of the child. Parts of it like most of 3A, ds would have loved at 5 or 6, but other parts of it would have been a disaster. Ds loves challenge, but still doesn't take to being wrong very well, and BA pushes you to try something, get it wrong, figure out why, have the persistence to go back and try it again, etc. That whole process is a constant battle with ds and would have likely been more trouble than it was worth at 5 or 6.

Dd is 7 and using beast academy now as a fun supplement because it would have been on-level for her at about 5 or 6.

We are accelerating through mus and using life of Fred, beast academy, cwp, & beast academy as supplements to keep her from being bored. She loved BA & Fred even if they are a easy for her right now.

I think it probably depends on the frustration threshold of the child. Parts of it like most of 3A, ds would have loved at 5 or 6, but other parts of it would have been a disaster. Ds loves challenge, but still doesn't take to being wrong very well, and BA pushes you to try something, get it wrong, figure out why, have the persistence to go back and try it again, etc. That whole process is a constant battle with ds and would have likely been more trouble than it was worth at 5 or 6.

:iagree: This is why I'm putting the brakes on for Abby and pushing her to play outside or whatever more. I really want her to do BA, but she gets frustrated really easily. Rather than zooming through like she wants to, we are doing MEP2, SM2, IP, CWP, and Miquon. I'm pretty certain a bit of maturation between this year and next will do her good.