Menu

I'm making enchiladas. Would you...

...add sweet potato to black bean enchiladas if you were also including cheese (monterey jack and cheddar)?

If I were the only one eating these, I'd use black beans, sweet potato, and kale, briefly stir-fried with onion, garlic, and red pepper before filling/adding sauce/baking the dish of enchiladas. Anytime I've ever done them this way I've gone sans cheese. However, it's for the whole family, and kiddo and DH will want cheesy enchiladas. I'm fine with that, but now I'm reconsidering the sweet potato I just cubed. :glare: Sweet potato and cheese doesn't sound all that...right.

Making some with sweet potato/no cheese isn't an option, because I'll actually be making what I refer to as enchilada lasagna--layering the tortillas and filling instead of rolling them individually--because the tortillas I'm using just don't hold up well to rolling and it's easier. Translation: I'm too lazy to baby the fragile tortillas this evening. :tongue_smilie: So I'll want the whole dish to be the same.

Thoughts? :)

...add sweet potato to black bean enchiladas if you were also including cheese (monterey jack and cheddar)?

If I were the only one eating these, I'd use black beans, sweet potato, and kale, briefly stir-fried with onion, garlic, and red pepper before filling/adding sauce/baking the dish of enchiladas. Anytime I've ever done them this way I've gone sans cheese. However, it's for the whole family, and kiddo and DH will want cheesy enchiladas. I'm fine with that, but now I'm reconsidering the sweet potato I just cubed. :glare: Sweet potato and cheese doesn't sound all that...right.

Making some with sweet potato/no cheese isn't an option, because I'll actually be making what I refer to as enchilada lasagna--layering the tortillas and filling instead of rolling them individually--because the tortillas I'm using just don't hold up well to rolling and it's easier. Translation: I'm too lazy to baby the fragile tortillas this evening. :tongue_smilie: So I'll want the whole dish to be the same.

Thoughts? :)

Skip the sweet potatoes, or only layer it on a third of your lasagna. I LOVE enchiladas, sweet potatoes, AND cheese, but I have no desire to taste scheesy sweet potatoes (and I like everything).

Thanks, ladies! Ok, so the enchilada filling I ended up with was comprised of fried onion, garlic, red pepper, black beans, baby spinach, and jack and cheddar cheese (along with a bit of chili powder, cumin, and a squeeze of lime). No sweet potato or kale, because (and I know this, but I occasionally hope to forget) any conversation with DH that involves the words sweet potato or kale inevitably goes something like "ACK! Ugh. Gross. Barf. Puke. Ack. Are you trying to kill me?"

However, I am now intrigued by the idea of sweet potato quesadillas...and I can just make those all for MYSELF! :D

ETA: the sweet potato and kale that I already had I'm frying with lime and chipotle powder as a side purely for my own pleasure, since no one else in the house seems interested!

Edited by BrookValley

Thanks, ladies! Ok, so the enchilada filling I ended up with was comprised of fried onion, garlic, red pepper, black beans, baby spinach, and jack and cheddar cheese (along with a bit of chili powder, cumin, and a squeeze of lime). No sweet potato or kale, because (and I know this, but I occasionally hope to forget) any conversation with DH that involves the words sweet potato or kale inevitably goes something like "ACK! Ugh. Gross. Barf. Puke. Ack. Are you trying to kill me?"

However, I am now intrigued by the idea of sweet potato quesadillas...and I can just make those all for MYSELF! :D

ETA: the sweet potato and kale that I already had I'm frying with lime and chipotle powder as a side purely for my own pleasure, since no one else in the house seems interested!

I'm on my way :auto:

!

Oh yum! I wish someone would make those for me. :D Your dh's reponse to kale or sweet potatoes made me :lol: Little girl drama in a grown up man package. :lol: That is probably what my dds wish they were allowed to say. ;)