Menu

Boys and puberty?

Cassy

What is the average age for a boy to hit puberty? DS13 is showing no signs whatsoever so far, which, from my memories of boys when I was that age, is entirely normal. DS13 insists, however, that most boys in his year at school started to go through puberty a year or two ago. So a boy starting puberty at age 11? That doesn't seem quite 'normal' to me, but maybe I'm wrong. What are other people's experiences?

I've got two extremes of "normal" in my own household. My oldest ds(now 18) was definitely well on his way to maturity on his 13th birthday. He was 6 feet tall, he voice was deep, etc.

Ds #2 will be 15 next month. He barely shows any signs of puberty and is starting to get highly irritated about it. Many of his younger friends have grown taller than he. The pediatrician assures us that ds is completely normal. The Dr. labelled him a "Tanner stage 2", and said for that early stage of puberty he is well within normal limits.

Ds #3 is 13 and is 4 inches taller than his brother, outweighs him by 30 lbs, and his voice is changing. The Pediatrician also assures me that this is normal.

There is a woman at church who has 5 sons. She said her tallest one (6'4") didn't start his growth spurt or have any signs of puberty until 16.

Thanks for all the responses, hopefully DS13 will be reassured when I report back :001_smile:. I seemed to remember boys starting puberty quite a bit later than girls, at around 14 or 15 or later, so I was quite surprised at the number of boys DS13 knows who've already gone through this. I never had any brothers, and wasn't interested enough in boys at that age to notice much. It seems that there's quite a wide range of normal.

Maybe genetics does come into it, as Paula suggested. Maybe diet/lifestyle?

Well boys I knew at that age had definitely started puberty with voices, hair, etc. My brother had as well. But when I met dh's cousin who was 15 I thought he was 12. But by 18-19 he was a full grown man. Keeps the girls away longer;!

:lol: Well there is that! I'm also quite happy for my little boy to stay a little boy for a while longer yet. It's just started to bother him quite a bit that most of the boys in his year are bigger and more developed than him.

Boys and Girls both have wide ranges of normal.

My son is 13, and in the past two years has gone from being in the 75-80th percentiles for height to the 45th. He also wears a size 10.5 shoe. He grew a whopping inch last year, and stands 5'0" tall.

His voice has not changed yet, but according to his ped there are signs (he has a hair or two under his arms :lol:). His legs, poor soul, are extremely hairy. Thankfully, he's a blond.

At first, our pediatrician was a little concerned, however puberty runs late on my side of the family. When that is added to how little "progress" was made from his 2011-2012 check-up, ped's concern evaporated. My son will, in all likelihood, shoot up furiously fast between 14-16 years of age.

Either that, or my kids are suffering from some sort of growth-stunting disease no one has ever heard of that starts when about 25% of the population hits puberty. :tongue_smilie:

14 year old was about 13.

Middle child, 12, is just showing signs of fuzz on his lip and his voice is changing. He will be 13 in Dec. It makes me sad. He was my sweet, cuddly boy who loved to sit on my lap and was fun loving. He is changing that too. He is still nice, but he has turned goofy and it isn't as funny as he thinks it is. ;)

There are some really great books out there written for boys about puberty. I know my son really likes them. Well, not that he has said a word to me, but I know he has read them many times. :lol:

I think it depends on how you look at puberty. At 12 my son's voice is getting deeper but hasn't truly changed. He is in a chorus and the director is very specific as to what 'changing' means. According to the director, it hasn't happened yet. I know he is growing body hair in adult places. I know he has a teensy bit of fuzz on his upper lip and some acne. But, he isn't getting tall. He is getting a hint of broader shoulders. He's still a boy, not yet a young man. When I see the young men in the Young Men's Chorus, I can see that my 12 year old is NOT like them.

At 13 is your son is prob having some of the small changes associated with puberty.

The books I got for my son say that smaller, thinner ectomorph type boys hit puberty later. My son is petite and I expect that will be the case for him.

FWIW, I didn't hit puberty until almost 14 and then it happened all at once.

What is the average age for a boy to hit puberty? DS13 is showing no signs whatsoever so far, which, from my memories of boys when I was that age, is entirely normal. DS13 insists, however, that most boys in his year at school started to go through puberty a year or two ago. So a boy starting puberty at age 11? That doesn't seem quite 'normal' to me, but maybe I'm wrong. What are other people's experiences?

My son is 13 and he is well on his way, if not 2/3 through. Deep voice, almost 6 feet tall, face changing (you know how they lose the boy look and take on the man look). It started in earnest at least a year ago. He grew an inch in July alone.

So...since this is my only son, I don't really know. I do know my brothers continued to grow until they were about 18.

Girls are maturing earlier as well, and it is not necessarily a good thing, given that earlier periods increase risk for breast cancer.

He is still nice, but he has turned goofy and it isn't as funny as he thinks it is. ;)

Haha, this was my son at 13/14. Now at almost 15, he is not AS goofy, he's grown 6" in less than 6 months, shaving his peach fuzz lip (for ROTC), and the worst part, his voice is deepening. He's always had such a signature, high-pitched voice, that it's kind of sad and weird. The other day I thought my dh had the TV on, but it was my son talking. So strange!:D

My son is 12 1/2. We've had signs for about a year, in both my observations and the doctor's :001_smile:. His voice has deepened, but not changed, some light acne, definitely hairier, shoulders broader, and this summer he has grown a ton.

Thankfully, he's not stinky :D. I guess we'll keep him.

There are some really great books out there written for boys about puberty. I know my son really likes them. Well, not that he has said a word to me, but I know he has read them many times. :lol:

I think it depends on how you look at puberty. At 12 my son's voice is getting deeper but hasn't truly changed. He is in a chorus and the director is very specific as to what 'changing' means. According to the director, it hasn't happened yet. I know he is growing body hair in adult places. I know he has a teensy bit of fuzz on his upper lip and some acne. But, he isn't getting tall. He is getting a hint of broader shoulders. He's still a boy, not yet a young man. When I see the young men in the Young Men's Chorus, I can see that my 12 year old is NOT like them.

At 13 is your son is prob having some of the small changes associated with puberty.

The books I got for my son say that smaller, thinner ectomorph type boys hit puberty later. My son is petite and I expect that will be the case for him.

FWIW, I didn't hit puberty until almost 14 and then it happened all at once.

DS13's voice has not changed at all, nor does he have any noticeable hair. He is very much a thinner ectomorph build, and both DH and I are naturally quite slim.

I started puberty at 13 yo and grew 6" in a year, so I expect once it happens it might, as you say, happen all at once. Just now he seems desperate to catch up physically with his peers - he seems to think it'll help him feel more confident, although for if I remember correctly puberty did nothing for my self-confidence at all, quite the opposite :tongue_smilie:.

Haha, this was my son at 13/14. Now at almost 15, he is not AS goofy, he's grown 6" in less than 6 months, shaving his peach fuzz lip (for ROTC), and the worst part, his voice is deepening. He's always had such a signature, high-pitched voice, that it's kind of sad and weird. The other day I thought my dh had the TV on, but it was my son talking. So strange!:D

Seriously, the goofy needs to go over here. It is good to know that it is a stage.

Maybe diet/lifestyle?

If you're wondering if hormone free diary plays a role in early puberty my ds has always had organic diary.

He's 11 and has started getting hair under his arms and acne. I know about the underarm hair because he has proudly shown dh and me. :lol:

My dh doesn't remember when he started puberty.

Ds is skinny (he weighs 58lbs) and looks like more arms and legs so I guess this ectomorph is starting puberty earlier.

I was shocked as I didn't expect it so soon.