Menu

My Twinn dolls -- does anyone have one?

I'm not talking about American Girl dolls, but My Twinn -- the dolls that are 23" tall and made to look like your kid. The only old post I could find on it was one from a couple years ago when the company changed hands. Has anyone bought one in the last couple of years? DD really wants one for Christmas. I found a lot of (negative) online reviews from when the company switched hands -- dolls not getting there in time for the holidays and such -- so I wanted to know if things had gotten better since then. How is the quality? How much do the dolls look like the girls?

They have them for $129 right now as a special. It's not that much more than AG if you add on the obligatory accessories kit that AG is too cheap to throw in when you're buying a $100 doll :glare:. She has lots of AG dolls, but now she wants one of these. She plays with her AG dolls almost every day so I think she'll play with this one too, and probably incorporate herself into their world that way. If they had a Just Like You AG that looked like her, I'd talk her into that instead, but they don't. The only one that comes close has freckles, and she doesn't. She's been eye-balling My Twinn since before Christmas last year.

My dd got one 16 years ago when the company was still just a local company in Colorado. The doll was absolutely beautiful! She looked exactly like my dd, she was SO well made, and my dd played with her for years. If the company has changed hands, that would be sad, as the second owner usually loses some of the vision of the founder...American Girl comes to mind. :glare:

PS. I paid $129 for ours in 1996, so they haven't had a price increase. Mine was completely custom made though. We had to fill out a two page questionnaire, as well as send in two photos of my dd...headshot and a profile.

Edited by DianeW88

This was the first in my dd's doll collection --- guess it was about 4 or 5 years ago. Still holding up VERY well! The only thing with her doll is my dd's hair is very curly, so we go the loose curls wig. Over time, the hair gets kind of "frizzy" (with play, of course. If it was just sitting on a shelf for looks, it'd be fine). They do have a Doll Hospital where you can send it in and have it reset for about $40.

I believe the total price with shipping and all was about $170 or so.

As much as dd wanted it and has kept up with it, we feel it was a good investment. Guess you'd just have to know your own child to know if it'd be "worth" it.

We also got ours before the switch. They did look like my girls. They held up well. The clothing that came with them, for doll and girls, held up remarkably well. It was extremely high quality. However, I purchased additional clothing after the company change over. It fell apart very quickly. I hope you can find someone who purchased a doll after the change, because what I saw in the clothing line would not be good.

We also got ours before the switch. They did look like my girls. They held up well. The clothing that came with them, for doll and girls, held up remarkably well. It was extremely high quality. However, I purchased additional clothing after the company change over. It fell apart very quickly. I hope you can find someone who purchased a doll after the change, because what I saw in the clothing line would not be good.

Lolly, I read under one review I found somewhere that MT dolls can fit in baby clothing? Do you (or anyone else, please chime in) know what size and whether or not baby clothes truly fit or if they're baggy? Fortunately, I sew, so if baby clothes mostly fit I can alter them fairly easily. If I can find patterns for that size doll, I can also make clothes. I've heard from other people the same thing about the clothing -- that the quality has suffered since the take-over.

It has been a few years since I bought My Twinns for my twins. I was not very happy with the quality - their hair was a total mess in a short period of time - and they are very heavy. My girls played with them for a very short period of time and then quit. They have gotten a lot more out of their American Girl dolls than their My Twinn.

This was the first in my dd's doll collection --- guess it was about 4 or 5 years ago. Still holding up VERY well! The only thing with her doll is my dd's hair is very curly, so we go the loose curls wig. Over time, the hair gets kind of "frizzy" (with play, of course. If it was just sitting on a shelf for looks, it'd be fine). They do have a Doll Hospital where you can send it in and have it reset for about $40.

I believe the total price with shipping and all was about $170 or so.

As much as dd wanted it and has kept up with it, we feel it was a good investment. Guess you'd just have to know your own child to know if it'd be "worth" it.

I think she would play with it as she plays with her AG dolls every day. She's spent the past week preparing them for Caroline's arrival (we're going to the AG story Friday to get her for her birthday). She's dressed all of them in their meet outfits, had me help fix their hair, and she made a big, "Welcome Home, Caroline!" poster :D Like I said, I think if anything, having a doll that was like her would encourage her to play even more because it would give her an avenue to step into that world with her dolls.

I just hope it looks like her. She'd be disappointed if it didn't. I found all the past catalogs on one website and they used to have so many more choices for eyes and hair. DD's eyes are more of a blue-gray, and they don't have gray eyes anymore :glare:. The closest we'll be able to get is blue-green. I'm not too worried about the hair. I've restored 4 or 5 American Girl dolls -- some with awful hair. If it gets to the point where I need to rewig the doll, I can do that. I'm not sure how to do lash replacement (I've heard they fall out often) but I'm sure I can find a tutorial.

The dolls (from the old company) fit in size 3 months. We had our surprise dd when my older girls were 11 and 7. When the youngest outgrew that size the girls used her clothes on their dolls. The fir is close but not perfect.

Linda

Thank you! As long as the arms and length is right, I can bring in any gaps.

We bought 2 My Twinn dolls and 1 My Twinn toddler right after the change over (maybe 4-5 years ago but not sure). The heads seem to get dislodged and have to be placed back on the "spine" knob. The hair is terrible- it mats and tangles. The American Girl dolls hold up so much better and are high quality.

My dd got one 16 years ago when the company was still just a local company in Colorado. The doll was absolutely beautiful! She looked exactly like my dd, she was SO well made, and my dd played with her for years. If the company has changed hands, that would be sad, as the second owner usually loses some of the vision of the founder...American Girl comes to mind. :glare:

PS. I paid $129 for ours in 1996, so they haven't had a price increase. Mine was completely custom made though. We had to fill out a two page questionnaire, as well as send in two photos of my dd...headshot and a profile.

:iagree: We also got a My Twinn for dd 16 years ago when she was 4 years old. Ditto to everything Diane said! We got a set of matching outfits for dd and the doll that were so adorable and well-made. She played with her Twinn doll for years.:)