Menu

Does anyone have a code of behavior or house rules...

that I could copy?

I'm trying to draw up a contract with my 11 yo ds. PS starts in 6 weeks and I'd just love to send him.....

I can only come up with lists like -

I will not "parent" my siblings...

I will not call anyone derogatory names....

I will not boss everyone around....

I'd like something with fewer "not" statements...

TIA!

K

We have a list of four basic house rules here. They are generic enough that almost any nasty behavior can be put into each category!

They are, from the positive perspective:

Be Kind

Be Honest

Be Responsible

Obey Your Parents

These are posted on the fridge for all to see. Each has a corresponding Bible verse that explains the 'why' of the rule...we've memorized these as a family. If you'd like them, let me know. This works well for my kids...we plan to use it even when they are older...most of what we'd ask them for at older ages can still be categorized (curfew: Be Responsible and Obey Your Parents!) and we subscribe to the KISS rule, anyway! ;)

Good luck.

Wow, I thought I had the only kid that tried to parent the youngers. It drives me batty, I will be standing right there talking and he will interupt and start correcting.:glare: He is 14 and ready for high school, have thought more than a few times this summer that maybe PS might be okay. I won't but sometimes I get so frustrated with his attitude I really don't know what to do. He is 2 inches taller than I am now, and can almost be intimadating in thought only. He knows if he tried anything stupid I would put a hurtin on him like no tomorrow, but still. I am watching all the responses, but what do you do when they break the rules? What are the consequences? He is already very good at yard work, and cleaning for you guessed it attitude.

I'd like something with fewer "not" statements...

I really like the way John Wesley did it. He had three main "rules," which he elaborated. The elaborations are often situation-specific and thus somewhat flexible, but the rules are very broad and comprehensive.

First, do no harm.

(Elaborations follow, and this is where most of the not-statements come in. Do not kill, do not steal, do not speak insultingly, etc.)

Do all the good you can.

(More elaborations, and this is where most of the yes-statements come in--speak gently, offer food to those who are hungry, dress modestly, encourage those who are sorrowful, care for the earth, etc.)

Attend upon all the ordinances of God.

(Here's where he included all the traditional Christian disciplines--Eucharist, fasting, weekly worship, daily prayer, etc.)

If that third one doesn't fit you (I'm sorry, I don't remember if you are part of a faith tradition), there might still be a general class of somethings that you could put in its place. Strive to be a better person? Cultivate your mind? Have fun? Practice Safety? Something that's important to your family but doesn't necessarily fit in the first two categories.

You could adopt the method in any way that suits, but it might really help you to have three or four categories of things, and by making one of the categories a positive statement (a DO rather than a DON'T), you can help yourself think up a lot of positive statements.

ETA: Oh, and I meant to say, sneaking a lot of good things that he already does (and telling him that you notice he does them) into the one or two categories of positive statements will go a long way toward massaging his little ego.

Eureka!!!! I found them....that is so bad....but I was copying them for another person and my children moved it from the printer....grrr.

The rules I use are the rules Gregg Harris of Josh Harris fame (dad) used.

Here are the rules.......from the book The 21 Rules of this House by Gregg Harris, printed in 1993.

The 21 Rules Of This House

by Gregg Harris

1. We obey God.

2. We love, honor and pray for one another.

3. We tell the truth.

4. We consider one another's interests ahead of our own.

5. We speak quietly and respectfully with one another.

6. We do not hurt one another with unkind words or deeds.

7. When someone needs correction, we correct him in love.

8. When someone is sorry, we forgive him.

9. When someone is sad, we comfort him.

10. When someone is happy, we rejoice with him.

11. When we have something nice to share, we share it.

12. When we have work to do, we do it without complaining.

13. We take good care of everything that God has given us.

14. We do not create unnecessary work for others.

15. When we open something, we close it.

16. When we take something out, we put it away.

17. When we turn something on, we turn it off.

18. When we make a mess, we clean it up.

19. When we do not know what to do, we ask.

20. When we go out, we act just as if we were in this house.

21. When we disobey or forget any of the 21 Rules of This House, we accept

the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

Hope these help........:001_smile: You can google this and find it all over the net. It is even possible to get the book I think.

Eureka!!!! I found them....that is so bad....but I was copying them for another person and my children moved it from the printer....grrr.

The rules I use are the rules Gregg Harris of Josh Harris fame (dad) used.

Here are the rules.......from the book The 21 Rules of this House by Gregg Harris, printed in 1993.

The 21 Rules Of This House

by Gregg Harris

1. We obey God.

2. We love, honor and pray for one another.

3. We tell the truth.

4. We consider one another's interests ahead of our own.

5. We speak quietly and respectfully with one another.

6. We do not hurt one another with unkind words or deeds.

7. When someone needs correction, we correct him in love.

8. When someone is sorry, we forgive him.

9. When someone is sad, we comfort him.

10. When someone is happy, we rejoice with him.

11. When we have something nice to share, we share it.

12. When we have work to do, we do it without complaining.

13. We take good care of everything that God has given us.

14. We do not create unnecessary work for others.

15. When we open something, we close it.

16. When we take something out, we put it away.

17. When we turn something on, we turn it off.

18. When we make a mess, we clean it up.

19. When we do not know what to do, we ask.

20. When we go out, we act just as if we were in this house.

21. When we disobey or forget any of the 21 Rules of This House, we accept

the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

Hope these help........:001_smile: You can google this and find it all over the net. It is even possible to get the book I think.

This is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks so much. Just also wanted to add that Jessica at TA also has a list of house rules that I had copied once...similar to these. Hope she chimes in! Thanks Ginger.

Related to this, and his age..........

I'd prayerfully and intentionally change this given his gender and age. It's a notoriously difficult time in a boys' life. I think this accounts for a significant percentage of the homeschoolers who allow their kids into public schools around this age.

Norm Wakefield has some good material on this stage.

In general, his body is growing and he intuitively knows he's supposed to be in training to be a man. If that energy/desire is not directed into appropriate stuff, you'll have behavior challenges with him.

Here's a link to a great, old, thread on the topic.

http://wtmboards.com/K8genaug9/messages/1499.html

Can you change your "nots" to DOs?

Our rules in this house are extremely basic:

Respect for others

Respect for property

Respect for self

Just about anything that can come about can come under those things. So we don't have a "laundry list' of rules. One is just expected to think how a situation applies to the above and follow through in the best manner.

• Don't use hurtful language.
  • Don't physically hurt others and do apologize for accidents.
  • Respect "no" and "stop" no matter whose it is. (This is in a personal space context.)
  • The word "fault" is only permitted in the geological context.
  • Do not argue about things you cannot change.

• Don't use hurtful language.

• Don't physically hurt others and do apologize for accidents.

• Respect "no" and "stop" no matter whose it is. (This is in a personal space context.)

• The word "fault" is only permitted in the geological context.

• Do not argue about things you cannot change.

I LOOOOVE the fault rule! Oh, how I hate that word.